Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New BFe
  • WildHunter2009

As the title says really! Anyone got a new shape BFe yet and fancies giving a quick review?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Had a quick blast on the medium round the demo loop at Calver a week or 2 back, and have literally just collected it again for a weekend long go on it

Bit of a weapon would be the quick review. Fun, poppy, stable at speed, but still lively steering. Very impressed with the Cane Creek Helm fork. Felt a fraction light at the front end climbing, but that could well be a setup issue as the saddle had been jammed as far back on the rails as it went.

Can tell you more in a day or 2’s time. I’m looking forward to it!

WildHunter2009

Cheers! What height are you if you don’t mind? The medium does look pretty long but still not in the same ballpark as some.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

5’10”.

(I should probably point out that I’m lucky enough to have friends in high places @ Cotic, and not everyone will be able to nick demo bikes for a jolly!)

inverjoe
    Free Member

Fantastic bike… bought a large (frame only) im 5’11” , still running 26″ wheels from the cove stiffee which it replaced. It feels more like the mondraker foxy that i also ride, the geometry is similar, long top tube etc. climbs better than the cove stiffee and very stable going down, might be due to the lower bb height with smaller wheels. If you were near glasgow, your more than welcome to have a wee go…

WildHunter2009

Inverjoe thats reassuring as i was leaning towards a large at 5,11 myself. Are you running a 26 in fork in it or just wheels?
    Sadly i’m far far down south but cheers for the offer!

inverjoe
    Free Member

27.5 rock shox Yari fork. Need to get my finger out and build new wheels.

vintagewino
    Free Member

interesting on the 26″ wheels, I am tempted to buy a hardtail frame to build up from my old bike. I guess if you ran one with a 26″ fork it would slightly steepen the head angle due to the shorter axle to crown measurement?

core

Not unless you ran odd size wheels.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Seriously tempted to upgrade my much loved 2012 BFe frame for one, would swap over all the 26” bits. Sadly I had to miss the QECP demo last weekend but tbh I’d happily buy without riding it

kayla1
    Free Member

I got an old shape BFe 650B when they were clearing them out and it’s awesome with 26″ wheels in, I love it. The extra length (fnar…) and slackness (pfft!) makes loads of difference so I’d imagine the new one would be a riot too. 650B forks as well. 26″ forks would steepen it for a given amount of travel, my 650B 140mm forks are longer A-C than my 26″ 140s.

Reckon I could stick a one degree slackset in and get there or thereabouts with my old shape one though.

edit- I’ve got some 650B wheels spare…

bikerboy2008tc
    Free Member

Got a large here 5’10/5’11 (technically i should be on a medium) they are long….if your new school thinking (geometry wise)and prepared to work the size the speed and grip you get in return is full suss beating ! if your not go medium for a more conventional feel.

Well made welds are very neat , rust proofed , paintwork is tough , rides well in the fact its still got plenty of feel for a thru axle steel frame, mud clearance amazing ,

As you can tell i like mine ,I have ridden the rest and i have to say this is probably the best of the peg ‘enduro’ frame at the mo ….

spev

Yeah got a medium , I’m 5’9″ , 160mm forks , so far rides awesome, very stable at speed, easy to whip around corners and just plain fun to ride. I’m not a mad fan of strava ( I only compare my own times- pointless looking at others due to differences in GPS quality)but I had it on for my last ride and got a 3 PB’s , whether that’s because its faster or just because I enjoyed riding it more than the previous bikes I’m not sure. If you in or near Swansea and want to cock a leg of a medium then get in touch.

confused58

My frame arrived yesterday, build in progress!!

I’m 5’10” with long arms and demo’d a large at QECP (slowly as crocked), thoughts-

Great fit for me with a 35mm stem
    Supple steel feel from the back end, plenty of mud clearance
    Poppy and great mix of agility and stability at speed
    Helm fork was impressive
    Just felt right from the 1st pedal stroke

Only downside- the blue was sold out, but the CMYK looks great!!!

WildHunter2009

The CMYK looks good then? Have my heart set on a blue one but not sure if patient enough to wait for the next batch!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Blue – my 2012 is that colour and it does look lovely, as an aside I had frame delivered to the lbs (who see lots of nice bikes) and they made a point of calling me to say how stunning the colour was when it arrived. Having had the Blue I’d like to see a “fast red” one as a change

confused58

I’m really happy with the CMYK, but if the blue had been in stock I would probably have gone for it as my 1st choice.

However new bike fever struck and as I had blue before but not black I fancied a change!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

OK, here we go. Got about 8 or 9 hours riding done over the weekend. For reference I’m 43, a skinny 5’10”, currently riding a 26” Cotic Soda and a 26” Rocket.

TL:DR? I had fun. Does what it says on the tin.

The bike is the medium CMYK one from the photoshoot. Pimpy Helm forks, decent Hope Tech Enduro wheels/WTB tyres (more on these later) and then the rest is functional – SLX drivetrain, deore brakes, in house finishing kit.

First impressions are that its looooong. With 780mm bars on it’s a complete PITA to manoeuvre round my cellar. Sitting on it says there’s a lot of top tube and the front wheel seems to be a long way off.

Second impressions once I started riding was that I wouldn’t be winning any XC races on it. It’s actually a very solid competent climber, but in a stately winching kind of way (again – see end for more). To be honest, one of the surprises of the weekend was quite how well mannered it was uphill – I didn’t try anything madly tech on it, but typical peaks climbs it just churned up in a very nicely balanced fashion.

Having understeered through the first couple of corners descending, it becomes obvious that you really do need to stick some weight on the front to make it corner. Quel surprise. However once I’d got the hang on that, you can just lob it in and it’ll carve round. Trail centrey stuff (Lady Canning) it was very fun on and easily the fastest I’ve ridden it. The ability to smash berms in the way that would leave me upside down in the bushes on my Soda but still with the pumpiness of a hardtail makes for a rapid bike. All those bits that you look at and go “if I pop off that, then I could land there”, but haven’t quite joined up, just happen. Given how planted it is climbing, it’s still very back wheel happy. My manualing/wheelie skills are pretty piss poor, but this bike flattered them no end.

Take that onto steeper ground – cheeky, steep, loamy, Golfy-esque trails in the woods and the bike comes into its own. Utterly composed. This is where this bike is SOO at home. Awesome fun.

It’s a handful on purely rocky trails, no 2 ways about it. Solid frame (it definitely lives up to the BFe moniker) and a WTB “tough” casing rear tyre (far from compliant in my previous experience, even on a full sus) and its basically a question of managing the battering in your legs. Sure, running bigger/softer rear tyre would help, but you pay that back uphill. Your call.

I never really bonded with the Helm fork. It was alright, but at £950 it should have blown me away. Given a Pike is £600, you could get one and get it custom tuned and still have plenty of change, or X-Fusion for rather less again. Many of the details on the fork were just annoying. The axle is a fiddly 2 hander to remove. The air volume adjuster is beautifully made, but you still need a 30mm socket and ratchet to use it, and so it doesn’t actually offer anything that the simpler, cheaper RS token setup doesn’t. You need to be very careful when balancing the –ve air chamber when tinkering with pressure – any weight on the forks and they suck down and you lose travel. All just a faff.

A note on the wheel setup. I had the wheels off the bike for cleaning. And immediately went “f… me this is heavy” when I picked up the rear. A quick comparison to my 26” Rocket wheels (25mm internal rims, Spesh grid carcass tyres, so perfectly raggable), shows then to be nearly a kilo heavier, of which ¾ of that is in the rear (200g in the tyre, 200g in the cassette for starters). That might explain why it didn’t feel very sprightly up hill. A quick check of specs suggests that an identical build to my 26” wheels would weigh around 225-250g more in 27.5 format, which would improve the zip no end. (note – this is not really a criticism of the Cotic spec choice – there’s plenty of riders out there who are heavier, clumisier, more aggressive, or all 3 than me and the current setup will play to their strengths better than to my lack of it!).

I’m very, very, tempted. I don’t think it’s a particularly tight secret that there’s a new Soul out sometime soon, so I want to see what that looks like before committing, but it works so well as an all-round trail bike, I can’t see the small weight penalty of the BFe making all that much difference, when it’s quite so raggable down the steep stuff. Just a shame they’ve sold out of medium blues!

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

I am absolutely loving the new BFE.
    I’m 5’11 with the Large (in blue!). Had it out for 3 rides.
    1) Along moorland singletrack – its super stable; not actually too bad to pedal around, and it picks up speed so quickly, easy to keep it going, very “playful” easy to pop of things and throw it around.
    2) steep techy descents (woods etc) – obviously not as quick as the full sus it replaced – but the slackness really gives confidence when descending; a right hoot!
    3) llandegla – this was superb; handles the jumps with ease; really quick through the turns – it was only when the human made the mistake (and hit the ground hard!) that I had to call it a day; broken brake lever, scratched frame(!!!).

however, it does what I wanted it to do – its never going to be as quick as a full sus for me – but can it do the same stuff? definitely.

WildHunter2009

Goddamit I think I want one. I’m 5,11 so might have to have a hard think about sizing though. The other bike on the list is new Whyte 905 and the BFe would probably get a similar build albeit without 2.8 tires.
    I think if i can get the blue it will be the aqua and orange as I want me some orange hubs! Unless anyone knows if you can get magenta hubs ala CMYK?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Think I’ve made my mind up to get one of these to replace my Stumpy frame.

Currently have a large 2016 carbon Stumpy and I’ve finally admitted defeat.. it’s just too small!

Going to go for a Large BFE frame only and use my existing parts to build it up. It’ll last till next July before I can finally start looking at a proper dream bike.

On the plus side, I’ll still have a BFE when I don’t fancy taking the new bike out 🙂

Edit* Oh, more pictures please!

andykirk
    Free Member

I note the lack of XL availability. Anyone over 6’1 riding a large?

padkinson
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″, and rode the large at a demo day for an hour or so. Felt ok, and that was with the 35mm stem on, so quite a short setup. Good on the descents (not that we really hit anything steep, it’s only Surrey), but possibly a little bit cramped for a long day. I suspect with a 50mm stem it’d be fine though. Plenty of seatpost in the frame with a 150mm Turbine dropper too.

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks Padkinson. How bad are these for simply getting from A to B on the flat? Hard work?

kayla1
    Free Member

The old ones were fine getting to and from our local trails, the new one probably more so as the seat tube’s a bit steeper.

chiefgrooveguru

Feeling very tempted by one of these… The new Rocket got me all excited about getting a new bike, but then riding my Spitfire last week I was like, what am I thinking, this bike is perfect! Whilst me and my Zero AM, on good days we gel really well but on bad days not so much. The BFe is that bit taller of BB and slacker of angles, and I think that’ll work better for me – plus it looks more awesomes.

I’ll have to do a test ride though because based on how I fit on my Spitfire (about 425mm reach, 50mm stem, 810mm bars) and Zero AM (about 455mm reach, 35mm stem, 750mm bars), and how I fitted on my old Soul (about 400mm reach, 55mm stem, 710mm bars), I think I’d ride best on the small but according to the size chart I should be on a medium or large…

Gloss blue with orange headset, BB and seat clamp, and black everything else would look rather nice, methinks.

Who’s got one and how are you getting on with it?

chiefgrooveguru

Anyone?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New BFe’ is closed to new replies.