Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New bar time – carbon, risers and wide enough – any recs?
  • br
    Free Member

Had a set of Easton DH Carbons on my HT now for 5 years. They’ve been crashed multiple times and are as scarred as hell, but still feel solid – plus I like the carbon ‘feel’.

So, I was looking at a pair of Easton Havoc carbons as they look like a direct replacement, but has anyone yet tried the new Renthals?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Renthal-Carbon-Fatbar-Lite-First-Look.html

About the same price, same width plus lighter – but will they be as strong/dependable?

honourablegeorge

Renthal have a great rep for aluminium products – although their Alu bar was miles heavier than the competition, so every reason it should have been strong. This is their first carbon product.

If Enve are to be believed, their DH Carbon bar is the strength benchmark, and it goes to 800mm wide – 150 full-height drops in their test lab failed to break it, Renthal Alu bent at 40

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSqTlkvkj0[/video]

messiah
    Free Member

Answer have a 780mm carbon bar too.

ratherbeintobago

although their Alu bar was miles heavier than the competition,

EA70 20mm riser – 290g
    Fatbar Lite 20mm – 269g

Is it the Fatbar that’s heavy?

Yetiman
    Free Member

Love my 35mm Easton Havoc 800 mm carbon bars. Reasonably light at 210g, I think, but they look and feel bombproof.

ndg
    Free Member

Race face SixC if 780mm is wide enough for you?

mattjg
    Free Member

If Enve are to be believed, their DH Carbon bar is the strength benchmark, and it goes to 800mm wide – 150 full-height drops in their test lab failed to break it, Renthal Alu bent at 40

problem is if it’s super stiff, for strength, then it could well be sacrificing the ride qualities of carbon. I say this because I have a carbon 750mm Bontrager Rhythm Pro, I find it very very stiff.

matther01
    Free Member

Mt Zoom if 740mm is wide enough?

Northwind

Crank Bros do a couple of nice, wide, light options- Iodine, is it? CRC had some in the sale.

br
    Free Member

The Renthal is coming in at 180g for a 740mm with 40mm riser, but will it still give a good ‘feel’?

Crank Bros do a couple of nice, wide, light options- Iodine, is it? CRC had some in the sale.

Sorry, wouldn’t trust CB to manufacturer something as critical as bars after experiences with a number of their pairs of their pedals.

ratherbeintobago

Sorry, wouldn’t trust CB to manufacturer something as critical as bars after experiences with a number of their pairs of their pedals.

It has no moving parts. How can it possibly seize?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New bar time – carbon, risers and wide enough – any recs?’ is closed to new replies.