Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New AM bike for 1600
  • astura
    Free Member

Im trying to work out werher it is worth me putting new forks on my old heckler, i just want to try this last option, what all mountain bikes are there that are decent for about 1600 new, i managed to find a nukeproof but only in small, i need large. I have checked the net but don’t really know what makes to pick out to begin deciding what im going to do. Ideally with a finance option

dekadanse
    Free Member

Look at the YT Industries Wicked 160 too.

astura
    Free Member

Canyon looks nice, YT too expensive, just seeing if they do finance

Northwind

What’s lacking in the Heckler? It’s always tempting to throw good money after bad, but they’re basically decent and there’s a lot you can do to tweak a frame these days- slackening headsets, custom tune shocks, etc (so many complaints about the Heckler are around Santa Cruz’s erratic taste in shock size…) Just a thought. This budget could transform a tired-but-good bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what year is the heckler?
    my Mk6 was helped with a new shock (RP23 from an alpine) from the classifieds a newer fork (160mm) and lighter wheels from what I had. It’s a very capable bike.
    Some upgrades from the classifieds in here could make it awesome.
    Your options otherwise are Euro Imports, low end UK distributed bikes mostly.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

2012 RP23 £180 brand new (was £145 in price drop sale last week 😯 )

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=82842

I’m with Northwind, unless you fancy a change or the Heckler is battered I’d spend a fraction of your £1600 budget on the sort of upgrades he and Mikew mention.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2012 RP23 £180 brand new (was £145 in price drop sale last week )

Make sure it’s tuned right mine is M M 175 from an alpine so plays nice with a single pivot with plenty in the mid stroke, I’ve got a couple of older ones that have nothing in the mid and make a single pivot feel rubbish.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

from a recent review on CRC their 215×63 shock is M M 200, when it was at £145 I nearly bought one for my Alpine 160.

astura
    Free Member

I dont have an issue with the rear shock, thats fine, works a treat and handles everything i need. Still unsure what to get fork wise though. Everything i seem to find is tapered

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep very few, try X Fusion or Suntour

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

There will be a ton of new unused 26″ bikes in the classifieds soon – so there will be plenty of choice!

Euro
    Free Member

Here’s a box ticker. Even some change left for a dropper 😀

follow

astura
    Free Member

I didn’t think Saracen bikes were that great?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New AM bike for 1600’ is closed to new replies.