Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • New Alpine 160
  • Fortunateson09
    Free Member

New Alpine 160 on the front page;

FGF Extra! New Orange Alpine 160

I reckon it looks good – sensible build for once and the price doesn’t look bad for what you get.
    It’s got better stance than the old Alpine, but I can’t help thinking it looks a bit like a slightly uninspiring Morewood or something.

Terrible graphics too, but looks good to me on the whole.

I’m sure plenty of people will have an opinion…

lyrikal
    Free Member

Good to see the sliding shuttle back, this may tempt me to part with my patriot.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I wonder how many will be slammed into the slackest setting with an angleset by default, without actually trying it any other way…

legend
    Free Member

you say that like there’s a point to trying it any other way!

honourablegeorge

Hmm. I quite liked the old one, not sure I like the look of that – what’s different?

£3600 sounds very expensive for that build – pretty sure I could build it cheaper from frame myself, if the frame is still £1500-ish.

GaryLake
    Free Member

you say that like there’s a point to trying it any other way!

I rest my case!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hmm singletrack bike must be 60 degrees, rigid, 160mm fork, one half of swingarm 6″ travel on half no travel high and low BB with 800 bars morphing into 650’s

legend
    Free Member

Slam the shuttle forward, offset bushes, angleset. Could probably get that puppy to 60 degrees 8)

Sim

I wonder how many will be slammed into the slackest setting with an angleset by default, without actually trying it any other way…

What? So I should take the Boxxers I’ve just fitted out? Aw…

vinnyeh

I really hope that’s a joke.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

if the frame is still £1500-ish.

£1700 by the looks of the website.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Post pics on pinkbike first…

legend
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member

I really hope that’s a joke.

Old 7-inch Boxxer Team (U-turn) ftw

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I think it’s a great evolution.

The last was a great descending bike, but dopey on the ups. Knocking a lump of weight off can only help that.

A 160mm Five? Yes please; I’ll have a big slice of that.

What website is that? It’s not on the Orange site yet.

honourablegeorge

whatnobeer – Member

So, add £300 for some Hope Hoops (better wheels than what’s there), about £250 for the 1×10 Zee setup (with proper Shimano cranks instead of the Raceface), 200 for a Reverb (they can be had cheaper), £800 for a Fox fork fork (I’d have a Lyrik for a lot less personally), and still 350 left over for the rest. There’s no value in Orange full builds. is there?

banks
    Free Member

Big fan of Orange. Even brand new my covert build came to just shy of 2k!!

sharkattack

I like Orange as a company I just wish they would join us in 2013.

saxabar
    Free Member

Hmm, the 17″ focus makes it interesting for me. I had an 18″ which always felt a smidgeon too big. 16″ would have been too small. I haven’t owned or tested a trail bike I prefer.

stompweaver

Love it. Got to get one for the summer! 8)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I like Orange as a company I just wish they would join us in 2013.

Yep, the Marin TrailQuest Beardy Graham has managed it. For the first time ever, I actually want a Marin

zerocool

Nice to see 1.5 head tubes making a comeback. I never really understood why companies switched to tapered (besides marketing BS).
    Think I.ll stick with my 2012 Alpine.

That Marin is ugly (trying to look like a full sus?)

crankrider
    Free Member

I want this orange, but i cant justify £1700 if that is the correct RRP.

New mega is £1300, We all know how cheap YT and Canyon are making full bikes… hard to justify this amount for an ‘old’ design now?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

What website is that? It’s not on the Orange site yet.

Ah, oops, Assumed that was the new on the website without really looking at it. Surely the same ball park price though?

legend
    Free Member

New mega is £1300, We all know how cheap YT and Canyon are making full bikes… hard to justify this amount for an ‘old’ design now?

Wouldn’t worry about it, there’s nothing “new” about those other designs either. Virtual pivot is the closest thing to new really, and even that’s been around for ages. Just get what works for you

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I prefer the old one. I’d buy the raw one that’s in eBay now. It’s a lively looking frame compared to the new one.

wrecker
    Free Member

Looks good to me. Looks like it would be a good mini DH bike, wouldn’t want to pedal it too much though.
    They should really do a “gravity” coil version w/beefy rims.

ads678

I think the new one looks great. But that’s coming from someone who owns an old straight top tube 5. And I don’t think that price is too bad for a british hand built frame either.

Edit: wrecker +1

wl
    Free Member

This will be mint. Makes me laugh, all the complainers banging on about outdated designs. Flicked through some Dirt mags the other day and they were on about the best suspension set-ups they’d ridden to date. Of the three bikes mentioned, two were Orange single pivots. New Alpine is just a classic refined. Nothing radical, but so what when it was so good anyway.

Blower
    Free Member

This will be mint. Makes me laugh, all the complainers banging on about outdated designs. Flicked through some Dirt mags the other day and they were on about the best suspension set-ups they’d ridden to date. Of the three bikes mentioned, two were Orange single pivots. New Alpine is just a classic refined. Nothing radical, but so what when it was so good anyway.

yep to that…

as for pedalling it all day cant see any problem there.
    lighter than my mega.

GavinB

Sorry, what’s that you say? Single pivot with 26″ wheels?

Retro.

ivantate
    Free Member

I am sad that I am moving somewhere flat and wont be able to work upto buying one.

ivantate
    Free Member

I am sad that I am moving somewhere flat and wont be able to work upto buying one.

Blower
    Free Member

Sorry, what’s that you say? Single pivot with 26″ wheels?

Retro.

no its now not retro its the new size wheels theyve brought back into fashion. 😉

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Like it…lighter than previous model, shuttle and 1.5 head tube. Should be able to configure to wide range of builds. Straddles the five to patriot market.”One bike to rule them all?”

godzilla
    Free Member

Too much black makes it look a bit cheap but I bet it’s a great bike, certainly look lighter.
    I love Orange bikes and I’m looking forward to reading more about the new Alpine.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

yep, agree about black not looking great. Love to see it in the ‘deep purple’ colour

Riksbar

Too much black makes it look a bit cheap

I know, if only Orange let you spec a custom colour with the build. 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘New Alpine 160’ is closed to new replies.