Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New 29er -Just like the old one, but with a beer belly
  • tazzymtb

first ride impression..good lord it's fast in singletrack. It makes my old 18" scandal 29er seem rather slow.

ivantate
    Free Member

Why is it so fast? what made the Scandal slow.

I'm trying to learn about 29ers and singlespeeds.

speaker2animals

I take it the new one is a 16" and is "faster" as it is more nimble for threading through technical trails?

tazzymtb

it's got a weird geometry on it that's a bit more extreme than a normal scandal. It's the prototype frame that's been knocking around for a while for sale on the classifieds. It's definitely more nimble through tight twisty stuff and climbs like a doped roadie. I think it's a combination of long top tube,short chainstays and rear biased weight distribution with a short wheel base just seems to work. I'm sure on a geary it would be a bit wheelie prone on climbs but as it's a ss, I'm out of the saddle and mauling anyway. I loved my normal 29er scandal and this was a bit of a "**** it, I'll have a gamble and see what it's like" moment, but very impressed so far.

TooTall
    Free Member

That seat tube angle looks so wrong – certainly a lot of weight over the back axle there.

tazzymtb

yep it does look very odd, once again I've managed to own a bloomin ugly bike. 😕

TheSwede
    Free Member

It was at a funny angle.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I think it looks ace 🙂 although flippin small!

tazzymtb

it's got a longer Effective top tube than my 18" but still has enough seat post in it as I've got a few mm before the min insertion line so it's a winner. I think it may need a nice paintjob though.

tazzymtb

showing it's big bent arse to the world

singlespeedstu

I take it that's Richpip's old frame.
    It was "quite" fast with him on it.

Looks like someone was trying out a bit of Jonesesque geometry when they designed that. 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

It does have a big aerse for a lightweight bike – and that looks more seatpost than I have showing! If the seat was (could be) dropped it would look like a jump bike.

tazzymtb

A 29er ss jump bike hmmmmmmmm I can see it all going earth/sky/ambulance very rapidly.

stu- yep it's the ex richpips frame, shame it will now spend it's time traveling at the speed of an asthmatic snail going up hill with heavy shopping

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I cannot believe you have built that 'thing' up in preference to my bootiful voodoo- sniff sniff! 😉

tazzymtb

don't worry pop I'll play with ya wanga this week 😉

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Looking at the seatpost it looks like wheelies should be easy!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Is that coming to ssuk?

paul4stones

Cool.

I've got the other one. Intrigued that you think it's faster than the standard bike.

tazzymtb

swede- yep It'll be lighter than the other one when it comes to pushing to the beer tent

paul4stones- in direct comparison with the 18" normal 29er on the same trails it was quicker through the tight twisty stuff and climbed just as well if not actually squeaked a smidge more traction from the rear wheel on loose climbs. It'll be interesting to see how it settles in. still need to tweak the ride position a wee bit, but so far so good.

It's definitely joined my other bikes in the "**** me it looks like quasimodo" collection.

ivantate
    Free Member

Now I see, sort of.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New 29er -Just like the old one, but with a beer belly’ is closed to new replies.