Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Never thought I'd say this at my age, but I need a BMX….
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

This has just popped up near where I work….

image by wobbliscott, on Flickr

Nice and convenient for an alternative to my lunch time gym session or boring run around the block.

Problem is I know nothing about BMXs. The last bike I had that would have passed as anything near resembling a BMX was my Raleigh Striker I had as a kid. So, what’s hot and what’s not in the world of BMXs? I’m not looking to spend a lot, something functional off ebay. Cheers.

tomhoward

Ooh, where’s that?

sharkattack

You’ll be gutted when you realise how hard it is to ride a BMX as well as all those children who make it look so easy.

spev

get a 24″ cruiser, like this https://www.harobikes.com/bmx/bikes/116,-118,-124/124-2014

i’ve got an older version and i’ve stuck some 7.5″ bars on, its great fun (and i’m 44 this year)

andysredmini
    Free Member

Just do it. I’m 33 and For some reason I started wanting one a couple of weeks ago and bought one last week. I bought a wethepeople zodiac in really good condition for £90. It’s the most fun I have had on a bike all winter. Been out on it 5 times. Fell off it 3 times. I’m going to a skatepark tomorrow with a foam pit.
    Two things I would recommend are that you get one that fits. I previously though that a bmx was a bmx and didn’t realise they come in different sizes. Also a lot of cheap bikes weigh a tonne. Surprisingly bmx’ers seem to care about weight too.
    I rode a friends Hoffman that was too small and very heavy and it almost put me off. The one I bought felt natural straight away. More like the one I used to ride 20 years ago that is currently rusting in my moms garden.

For me it’s like being a kid again. Simple biking with bike offering no skill compensation.

Andy

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jedi can arrange BMX coaching too. Have fun that looks tremendous.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Tom, It’s in Derby, just off Osmaston Road. I’m used to little kids showing me up on the ski slopes!

andysredmini
    Free Member

And yeah. It’s really annoying how easy the kids make it look.

Sod the BMX – you are used to riding an MTB, so get something set up for DJ or 4X – you’ll probably have more fun than riding one of them little bikes 😉

tomhoward

Sweet! Need an excuse to go to derby! Is there still a race track near pride park too?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There is another bigger BMX track near Pride Park and the new Velodrome is coming on, and we’ve just got planning permission for a new MTB skills circuit next to the Velodrome. Seems like there is cycling related stuff popping up all around Derby at the moment.

Thought about a dj or 4x bike but don’t want to spend a lot of cash and it feels like a BMX might be a bit easier to ride on that track. Just a cheap used BMX to start with…..before the n+1 thing kicks in!

jameso

it feels like a BMX might be a bit easier to ride on that track

You’d think so.. but old dog+new trick bikes.. fun but very hard to actually get over the jumps. Going from pumping the rollers fast to taking off seems like a big step. Or jump )

tomhoward

Tell you what, I’ll mosey down there in a few weeks with my 24″ cruiser. Come along and have a go? I’m crap so no worries there! I’m busy for the next 2 weekends but early march is a go, mail in profile if you (or any others) want to organise a ‘I’m not very good but fancy a go’ type thing!

tomglass20
    Free Member

I have a mint condition Sunday spark I’m selling in orange looking for £150, send me an email if you would like pics or info

alcolepone
    Free Member

ive been down there on my mtb bike, its great fun, and realy realy knackering!!! not sure what a bmx would feel like, but plenty of people there on 26inch 4x bikes.

pondo

The very fantastic Redditch BMX track has a fleet of bikes you can hire for a very modest fee, so I went and had a go on one of them. Keeerist that was harder than I remembered!Mind you, the tracks are a lot different to how I remember them – some of the jumps are so big, I had to give it a big old honk just to get up the blighters… 🙂 Keep meaning to take the mountain bike down for a go, I think I’d find that more fun (and the jumps less scary. Maybe).

h4muf
    Free Member

I went round on my rigid singlespeed a couple of weeks ago.
    Got 6th fastest on strava lol.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have a 24 Haro, fully sorted which may be for sale soon.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I took my 11 year old down to Unit 23 on Thursday night. I’m still in considerable pain. Had been dicking around on the tabletop all night and on the last go, really gave it a push. Completely cleared the top and transition and landed front wheel first on the flat.

I’m after a BMX myself. Prior to this obsession, I wanted a 24 inch DJ type bike and had a shot of one on my first trip to the unit. As soon as I sat on the BMX I hired though, that was it.
    They are incredible fun. Bombproof and so cheap compared to MTBing. As someone else said, it’s simple, fun biking with zero skills compensation. Pretty dangerous though!
    Another thing, if you have an indoor park near you, it’s gives you another bad weather option.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Never thought I'd say this at my age, but I need a BMX….’ is closed to new replies.