Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Network Storage Anyone?
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

Anyone got and use network attached storage at home? What do you use and what’s your set up? How much did it cost?

Ta in advance.

retro83
    Free Member

I’ve got a HP N40L microserver with 4 2tb drives in it.

Runs Ubuntu + SnapRaid giving about 6tb of usable space.

Think it cost £150 for the server, plus £100ish for each of the disks (bloody hard drive manu’s)

Really fast and quiet. It’ll do 100mb/s easily over the gigabit connection.

z1ppy

I use a Netgear Duo (ver 1 IIRC), it’s got space for 2 disc, so I run mirroring between them. It’s a pain in the arse sometimes, when it decides my admin account doesn’t have the “rights” to move stuff occasionally, and I’ve had to search patiently for individual updates to allow me the access I want.
    Other than that it’s been great…. I’m not recommending it, if you haven’t figured it out.

Lots of NAS are sold as single disc units, TBH unless you’ve a second backup solution (tape/DVD), I’d be wary of them.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve just installed a WD My Book Live which I picked up for £120.

Easy to set up, quick and cheap.

Only issue is that there is no redundancy, but don’t have all my stuff only stored on the NAS, so not too worried.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

About to pull the trigger on a Synology 212 with a couple of 2Tb driver configured as RAID1…. so interested in this…..

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

A reverse recomendation here. Buffalo linkstation live, Like the linking with the TV and Blueray playback but internet connection has never worked, and now it’s suffered amnesia about it’s password and refuses to le me back in to change anything. When it’s full it’s full.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve been running a Synology DS 212J at home and in the office for extra storage. Excellent bits of kit with some great Iphone apps to go with it.

leffeboy

Using synology stuff as well. Best of the small NAS devices I’ve used of late but also the most expensive. Was DS 212 j I think

dobo
    Free Member

hp microserver and ubuntu, with various drives.

simon_g

Microserver here too, been running WS2012 and just waiting for it to go RTM (this week apparently) before I reinstall and move my data over. The drive pooling in 2012 is pretty damn nice.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Network Storage Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.