Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Netplugs
  • mefty
    Free Member

I bought some last year but they are not really working very well, very slow connection. The ones I have got are 500 Mbps transmission, 100 Mbps ethernet port – have i simply bought too low grade ones?

scaredypants

(I’m not an IT expert):

depends what you’re doing with them – 100Mbps is way faster than most broadband runs, so unless you’re transferring loads of files around your network or running multiple machines I’d be blaming something else

Have they always been slow or is this new

WHat happens if you plug a machine straight into the router by ethernet – is that a lot faster ?

Stoner
    Free Member

You won’t get much better than 20-30 % of the nominal speed. Some are better than others. Having tried a few brands I now use and recommend the BT hot-spot ones.

mefty
    Free Member

I am not too worried about absolute speed, but connection seems to get dropped alot, I just want consistency – actually it is my wife’s computer so she wants consistency.

Stoner
    Free Member

Bt for consistency.

mefty
    Free Member

So you think I would get an improvement using these over the Netgear ones.

Stoner
    Free Member

Possibly. But netgear should be OK brand.

Read my post here first. Do your own tests and see if it makes any difference before spending more
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/powerline-network-an-experiment-and-psa

mefty
    Free Member

I will have a look and experiment abit.

mefty
    Free Member

Just a report back – shifted the router so I could plug everything into a less congested socket and it is working a lot better so cheers Stoner.

bails

Are you using them as wireless boosters/hotspots or as a wired connection to the PC?

I’ve got a couple of Devolo ones and get decent broadband speed through them (30mb+ IIRC). I think our house was rewired about 5 years ago though, that might be helping but for me they’ve been flawless.

Stoner
    Free Member

good.

did you get any speed test results, mefty?

Stoner
    Free Member

good.

did you get any speed test results, mefty?

mefty
    Free Member

Bloody hell you are demanding. The most important test has been passed because the wife has not sworn at the computer because of network problems. However just for you, speedtest on 4 year old netbook in Study – 34.7 (connected by ethernet), netplugged one year old computer downstairs – 44.94 so it is actually better – desktop in office has gone phut but it would probably be even slower as it is ten years old.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Netplugs’ is closed to new replies.