Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Netgear wireless …..
  • plant
    Free Member

Can I switch off the wireless but keep wired connectivity?

Son has a habit of using the net after bedtime. I don't want to switch it off completely as I use it but wired into the back of the router.

Can the wireless be switched on and off easily?

Cheers,

surfer
    Free Member

Plant

Dont know the specifics of your router but typically yes. Normally if you browse to the router there should be an option in the settings.
    There are other ways of stopping his nocturnal browsing however such as operating system settings or software tools that can restrict browsing after certain time.
    I usually just use the low tech "turn that computer off" facility!

Surfer

BlingBling
    Free Member

There will be an option in the routers GUI from something like 192.168.1.1 to turn off the wireless.

tinribz
    Free Member

http://192.168.0.1/start.htm > Wireless > Disable

DickBarton

Yes you can, but you can also set access times on the router – essentially you tell it when it can access the web and can't.

A long work around would be to set a time when the ruter doesn't get access – that way your sone can't access it…as you know the password (and only you know the password!), you can then log in after that time and switch it back on…that way you don't need to worry about faffing about with switching Wireless on and off, etc. (although it isn't exactly a quick fix either)

Drac

iirc you can do what DickB says but allow 24hour access to the wired PC IP, I'd take a look now on mine to confirm but it's sleepy time.

NN folks.

uplink
    Free Member

I block mine from midnight to 6am [click 'Schedule' on the router index page]
    I've not seen anyway to do as Drac suggests but it may be possible
    You could always try some access software
    http://access-boss.findmysoft.com/

samuri
    Free Member

I'm impressed many of you seem to know the ip address of plants router.

uplink
    Free Member

Pretty standard IP address for routers [Netgear in particular]

Drac

Well I wrote that in the wrong place thank god for edit.

plant
    Free Member

Thank you guys – he's in for a shock!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Netgear wireless …..’ is closed to new replies.