Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Netflix…any good?
  • andypandy85
    Free Member

We currently have NowTV with just the movies pass, but I’m curious if Netflix is all it’s cracked up to be as it’s cheaper and I believe has a wider selection of programs? Not avid TV people, just like to have the option of watching a film of an evening.

Cheers all

sc-xc

Now TV way better for up to date films, Netflix way better for box sets.

mtbfix

I liked Netflix. Binned it when we forgot to cancel our Prime taster. Will be back to Netflix once our year with Amazon is up.

cozz
    Free Member

wondered about it

I’ve got a 4k tv – how can i get 4k stuff (films to watch) – does netflix have many ?

funkmasterp

I tend to have Netflix for a bit, cancel, then have Amazon instant video for a bit. Rinse and repeat. It means you always have something new to watch be it TV series or films. I find them both pretty lacking on the movie front though to be honest.

Junkyard
    Free Member

netflix is poor for films and good for series

Its also good because you get screens so 4 screens for £9 so share the costs around friends- not strictly within the rules as its for family but they dont seem to care

binners

Just watching the second series of Narcos on Netflix. It’s brilliant for original drama series. Got some great documentaries too.

If you’ve got kids, then they’ll find loads of stuff to watch. My two only ever seen to watch series on Netflix

P-Jay
    Free Member

I like it, as others have said the films aren’t always great – there’s a couple of decent ones on there – but it’s mostly straight to DVD stuff you’ve got to wade through to find them.

They seem to be in the process of morphing into a HBO type offering, their original series and the ones they buy in are usually excellent – for £6 a month or whatever it’s great value compared to say Sky.

It’s part of the reason behind us going streaming only next month – NowTV, Netflix and maybe Amazon Prime if I’m feeling flash plus the freeview stuff is less than £20 a month.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Its good, but Id miss ‘live’ TV if it waa the only option. I really dont like bingeing on series and would rather watch discreet episodes or a film. OTOH I cant really see the point of eppisodes anymore, why not just make a 13h long film and let people pause it as they want, its how I end up watching it anyway. Whats the point of a cliffhanger when the next episode starts in 15seconds?

footflaps

Binned it when we forgot to cancel our Prime taster. Will be back to Netflix once our year with Amazon is up.

You can cancel Prime at any time and get unused days refunded.

johnners
    Free Member

I tend to get a Now TV Entertainment pass for a couple of months, switch to Netflix for a couple of months and occasionally buy a Now TV Movies pass to catch up on films. Backed up with Prime which is really for the delivery though there are a few things worth watching on there.

nickc

netflix is poor for films

hmmmm, depends really, if you’re requirement is new releases, comic book stuff and whatever, then yeah it can be a bit slow to get those. However to say that it’s poor on films clearly means you need to sharpen your search skills.

Reservior Dogs
    Battle Royale
    Dr Strange glove
    Serpico
    There will be Blood
    No Country for Old Men
    Downfall
    Fargo
    Pulpfiction

just a few I’ve watched recently

johnners
    Free Member

Dr Strange glove?

Sounds a bit esoteric for Netflix!

tenfoot

Netflix is great for new TV.

New films, not so much, although a few make it on, such as Sicarios. I recently watched The Magnificent Seven and Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. Haven’t seen them since I was a kid. There are some gems in there if you look around.

Junkyard
    Free Member

However to say that it’s poor on films clearly means you need to sharpen your search skills.

Its still poor for films and were you able to list say 200 films I would concede the point

I never said it had no good films but it tends to be older films you have seen before rather than new releases
    Its still very very patchy on its films in general-I have watched 4 of your list recently FWIW

spacey

I found this helpful….

Best 50 films on netflix

jamesy01
    Free Member

I’ve had now TV for around 18 months and in that time have hardly ever paid full price.
    I find that by going in to your account and cancelling your subscription they generate and offer to tempt you to stay. Currently we are paying £3.49/month for entertainment up to Feb 17 and £3.99 a month for movies again till Feb 17.
    We also shared our password with my brother-in-law in return for one of his Netflix passes. IIRC you can register 4 devices with Now TV.

nickc

I never said it had no good films

right…wriggle away… 😆

whatever, it has many films that are really good (and worth watching again) just not much of the “just been on at the cinema” sort.

Netflix is OK, you could probably get some newer films and the occasional really good box set on other streaming services. But Netflix’s original documentaries, box sets and films are consistently good and are beginning to get recognition and awards, it’s pretty good value for money, it’s stable, and has a reasonable back catalogue of award winning films.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s ok. It’s poor for new films but as mentioned above there are some great films on there but they tend to be older movies so it’s likely that if you’d wanted to watch them you’d have managed it before now.

I only subscribe to the service for about 3 months a year, in that time I’ve watched everything new on there that interests me so I cancel the subscription until there’s a new run of shows that look worth watching. One of the very good things about Netflix is you can stop/start your subscription at any time with ease so it’s easy to dip in for a few months over the darker months then cancel it during the Summer when there’s better stuff to do.

Quality seems to be dipping a little recently as they try to up the quantity of original programming. Original films with the exception of Beasts of no Nation are generally dire.

muzzle
    Free Member

Pulp Fiction isn’t on Netflix any more (I know cos I fancied watching it the other night).

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Netflix is good for TV as others have said but pretty poor for films. We have Netflix, Now TV entertainment pass and Prime and it still works out cheaper than a Sky subscription so get a good mix of stuff to watch. We do stick on the Now TV Movies occasionally to catch up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

right…wriggle away..

says you 😉

It has perhaps 50 films worth watching so get it for the series was my basic point.

rone

NOW TV, generally has a different set of TV series (coming from HBO/Sky Atlantic) to both Netflix and Amazon, so worth having all the lot in my book.

NOW TV lags in picture quality though.

If you cancel after a month you get given a very cheap 3 month offer.

Enjoyed Billions, The Night Of (unmissable) Westworld and Alan Partridge spin-offs.

jon1973
    Free Member

Now TV way better for up to date films

One of the reasons I cancelled NowTV Movies is the lack of new films that seem to come on line. Used to be a lot better.

Another big reason for cancelling was the streaming quality (kept pixelating – I stream in 4k on netflix without any problems, so it’s not my broadband speed). Also no 5.1 sound, which is ridiculous for a movie streaming service.

I prefer Netflix, but also keep the Entertainment Package on NowTV (£4 / month if you shop around). for things like Westworld and the live TV channels.

I think the trick is to get one service for 6 months or so and then flip over to get the new content that has accumulated on the other services.

johnners
    Free Member

NOW TV lags in picture quality though

Yeah, I guess part of that is it’s a budget offering and they want you to have a reason to upgrade to Sky proper.

Now TV also doesn’t have subtitles, which is a shame, means it’s no use to my mother. Amazon’s subtitles are great, far less intrusive than Netflix.

convert

Currently have netflix and amazon prime. Positives and frustrations with both of them tbh. My biggest frustration with Netflix is the inability to filter as much as I would like when searching for films – the categories are too generic and there is no way (on the samsung or panasonic app at least) to filter to just films for a category.

Both are pants for recent films though. I kind of miss my old lovefilm by post subscription. How do others access recent (i.e. in the cinema last year recent) films? Still rent DVD/Blueray, via amazon paid or itunes or something else I’m not aware of?

mtbfix

Star Wars series coming to Netflix next spring!

johnners
    Free Member

How do others access recent (i.e. in the cinema last year recent) films?

Leaving out the less legit methods, I just do 48hr stream rentals via Amazon or Google Play. TalkTalk and BT (Ithink) do online rentals via YouView or smart boxes/TVs, plus there’s Sky store etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can get a month free so just sign up and take a look around, if you don’t like then cancel.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I had a free trial on Netflix thought it was worth what I paid for it. Lists above included many classics most of which I’ve seen before inc many on normal broadcast tv. IMO Netflix is for film fans who like to watch films again and again or finding classics you have not seen before.

For more current content I prefer Curzon Home Cinema (I prefer world cinema / smaller budget uk films) or even iTunes for more recent releases.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just ask someone you know for a log in. You can log in on loads of devices simultaneously.

Or just install megaboxhd on yer phone, paired with a Chromecast and all fast premium.. Loads of irritating ads on megaboxhd mind, but back button gets rid of them.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Enough solidly B+ entertainment to keep you hypnotized between now and your inevitable death, for a surprisingly reasonable fee.

🙂

agent007
    Free Member

Wow how do people find the time to watch all these box sets and stuff? We rarely find the time to make the most of what Freeview, iPlayer, 4OD etc has to offer?

convert

It’s about choice I guess; consuming more of what you like, not about just consuming more. Boxsets work for us as 40-60 mins is the maximum free time we ever have to be sat in the living room of a school night.

My issue with modern consumption of tv is that I miss the workplace chatter about what people watched last night – very rarely are people watching the same thing in synchronicity anymore. Debate about what might happen next has almost completely stopped (unless you are a strictly factor off on ice twunt, and then I’d rather not chat if it’s ok by you)

shortcut

Netflix works abroad. Prime – not so much unless you have a VPN to pretend you’re in the UK.

footflaps

Wow how do people find the time to watch all these box sets and stuff?

We try and watch one episode of an evening, but probably only manage that 5 nights a week. That’s all we watch (no TV).

Just finished The Killing season 3 (Danish) and started Mr Robot S02 last night…

andypandy85
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies, think we’ll stick with NowTV for the time being, especially as I went to cancel my movies pass and they’ve done it cheaper for 4 months, excellent tip!

BoardinBob

No kids 😀

thetallpaul
    Free Member

agent007 » Wow how do people find the time to watch all these box sets and stuff?

By watching in 10 minute chunks (or in lunchtime at work).

I have kids.

Enjoying Stranger Things at the mo, and revisiting Enterprise. Every time I think of stopping the subscription they add something else I want to watch 😀

footflaps

US Netflix offers only 31 of IMDb’s top 250 movies, study shows

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/oct/14/us-netflix-imdb-top-250-movies

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Netflix…any good?’ is closed to new replies.