Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Netflix on my telly
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

Was persuaded by my more youthful cousins that I have to watch breaking bad. Dont know anyone who has box sets so it would seem that Netflix is the cheapest solution. However want to watch it on my big telly And not on my tablet or pc. I dont have a smart tv, and the only console we have connected is an ancient Wii. Sorry to be so out of touch Tech wise but is there an inexpensive way of doing this?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Plug your tablet into your telly.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

The lead is called hdmi to micro hdmi, the picture will be poor, better off buying on of those boxes to convert your tv into a smart tv for 45quid. The picture will be rght and you will have 450 extra channels.

mav12
    Free Member

we watch netflix on the tv through the wii

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Silly question but do you have virgin as Netflix is available through there system.

hughjengin
    Free Member

No, I am a sky subscriber. Hadnt realised I could access it via the Kids Wii. Only issue is that we have it connected via the red / yellow / white leads that was supplied with the Wii. Is this compromising the picture quality? we watch BBC iPlayer via the Wii and the quality is not as good picture quality as regular Sky and digital TV. Is this because of the connecting method or just a limitation of streaming BBC Iplayer ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Picture quality of internet TV is mostly limited by bandwidth. iPlayer on PS3 has SD and HD options, and you have to select which one you want. HD requires about 3.5Mbps, SD about 1.5Mbps. However the difference is not that great. iPlayer is however different on different platforms – if you open it up on your PC you’ll get a lower quality stream by default. I don’t know what the Wii uses but if you are complaining about the picture quality you are probably receiving the lower quality stream.

Netflix on the other hand has an adaptive system that automatically increases the quality to the highest your connection can support, and it’s very good. Our broadband is not fast enough for BBC HD generally, but the quality on Netflix is better even at a slightly lower bit rate. Better technology presumably.

However, if you are connecting using the red, white and yellow leads you can only view in SD quality. On BBC iPlayer this won’t make much difference, but on Netflix it may do. Bear in mind though that DVDs are SD so it can still look pretty good.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I was asking the very same question the other day, only I don’t even have a Wii console.

In the end I bought a Roku box, an HDMI switch box and a couple of HDMI leads from PCWorld (yeah, I Know, but there’s limited choice in Bradford)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/roku-417-commercial.html

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah Roku box or Now TV from Sky. You need to open an account for Now TV and put in your details, but you don’t have to pay them anything. The upside is the box is only £10.

Cougar

WD TV player or an Android media player will set you back about £30.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

You can get a Sky Now TV box for £9.99 and flash it back to the normal Roku software, and get a full feature roku box for £9.99 🙂
    You get all the advantages of the roku, and can watch Sky through now tv also.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah, top tip scottyjohn 🙂

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Silly question but do you have virgin as Netflix is available through there system.

Cheers Super Scale 20
    Now happily watching Farscape on my tv instead of the laptop

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Netflix on my telly’ is closed to new replies.