Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • netbooks; whats hot.
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

the OH asks me over breakfast to reccomend a netbook, I said i’d have a think ( i don’t have a clue)

so down to you lot. windows, 10″ screen and decent battery life are all wanted.

😀

alfabus
    Free Member

acer aspire one for me.

nice to use, screen and keyboard are well screwed together and the battery lasts for an age.

Dave

titusrider
    Free Member

get something with a touch screen and put windows 8 on it 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I have two acer aspire ones. love’em.

I also have the 9hr battery pack for one of them for work trips.

Stay away from the SSD ones though. HDD are faster and perfectly stable.

thomthumb
    Free Member

touch screen

keyboard was the other requirement. it’s for taking notes.

i can only ever remember 50% of the instructions at a time 😉

alfabus
    Free Member

keyboard was the other requirement. it’s for taking notes.

I think he probably meant both… netbook with keyboard and a touch screen.

AlexSimon

11.6″ screen. 1366 x 768 resolution.

They might not be as portable as a 10″ but they aren’t useless, so there’s that.

Cougar

Last time I looked at netbooks was earlier this year when the OH drowned her old one.

Ended up buying an Aspire One as it was the best around at the time. The CPU to have was the N550 – it was a slightly slower clock speed than some of the the N4xx ones (1.5GHz), but was dual core and considerably faster in practical terms. There’s an N570 around now too I believe; same CPU but higher clock speed. A quick google would suggest that the Aspire One has this chip in the “Happy 2” (ugh) series.

So, yeah, anyway. Budget an extra 20 quid for a 2Gb RAM upgrade and look for a dual-core CPU, would be my advice.

mattbee

Another Aspire 1 user here, mine is the 552. Battery is great and it seems very well put together.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m loving my old samsung since I souped up the memory and banged in a solid state hard drive. 1 Ghz is not much cop for web video mind you.

Russell96

Something with the AMD E350 CPU in it, decent graphics as well as CPU performance and not hobbled by the RAM restriction Intel put on the Atoms.

Stoner
    Free Member

RAM restriction?

Ive got 1.5Gb working in my aspire

Russell96

Atoms only support 2Gb Max for some reason…..

Stoner
    Free Member

anything needing more than 2Gb, I blame the software writer 🙂

Russell96

I’ve got a Samsung NC10 that’s done sterling service over the years, wiped the XP for Ubuntu on it ages ago. Agree XP is fine in 2Gb but Win 7 needs more RAM to get going.

Looked at replacements and lots of reviews and the HP DM1 with the AMD E350 in it gets some good write ups and looks pretty good in the flesh.

petrieboy

N atom based HP one here. Picked it up for £99 at tesco as it was the last XP one in store (win7 version was £220) no complaints here.

AlexSimon

If it’s for notetaking, make sure the keyboard isn’t spongey in any way.
    I like the Lenovos and Sonys for their keyboards, but there are a couple of others I’ve liked.
    Best to try some in a shop first to make sure.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘netbooks; whats hot.’ is closed to new replies.