Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Netbooks vs Laptops
  • theotherjonv

Our abused freebie laptop which we got for signing up to a broadband contract 3 years ago has turned its toes up. So looking for replacement. Any good deals on laptops / recommendations?

And then – we have a desktop for proper PC usage, the laptop is mainly used as a portable for web applications, and for the girls to play Club Penguin and look stuff up for homework. What does a netbook actually do in respect of being able to run basic programs, if at all. And likewise – any advice / deals there?

grantway
    Free Member

The Net Books use a smaller basic operation system of the Laptop/Desk top.

So if its Windows 7 or Windows XP would be a full application But on the Net Books
    it will show Windows starter 7 or Windows starter XP.

So the Net Book will do basic running operations to the Full software of the 7 or XP.
    Do check if you need the full software.

Bez

A netbook’s just a laptop but a bit smaller and a bit slower. They’re pretty useless for gaming or graphics/video editing but otherwise they’re just fine and dandy. Get one with a decent keyboard, touchpad and battery life and you should be sorted.

Bez

There is no such thing as “Windows starter XP”.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a couple of netbooks and a desktop. The wife has a massive laptop.

I love my netbooks (Acer Aspire one), but have modded them a bit. Added RAM and swapped a rubbish Sold State Drive for an HDD.

I use my netbooks for work (massive Excel models would you believe?) and for surfing around the house.

this one with W7 on is goodish value at £175. I got an XP from the same source for about £120 and W&d it myself.
    http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/11844/Acer-Netbook-1gb-160gb-Win7/

mboy
    Free Member

Netbooks are limited by very slow processors and a small amount of maximum RAM. They’re great for just checking your facebook and other light Internet duties, but the small screen and keyboard and lack of resources can become frustrating, even with just a few Internet browser tabs open.

They can run most programs that you’ll need, but it will be very slowly compared to even a cheap laptop.

Netbooks are of course cheaper (though not by much), lighter and more portable.

There are plenty of decent laptops for not much over £300 these days (just make sure it’s got an i3 or better processor, no celerons or pentiums).

theotherjonv

Ok, any recommendations for good laptops? I honestly have no idea and I wouldn’t trust walking into PC World!

numbnuts
    Free Member

asus eee pc netebook or take a look at the new asus transformer only problem with both is the lack of memory for storing photos or large files

mboy
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Netbooks vs Laptops’ is closed to new replies.