Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Netbook now dead?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I reported last week that we had a virus on my daughters netbook, it did have Norton 360 installed but that didn't help.
    Anyway now it wont come on.
    Upon switching on it goes to the screen that gives you the option of Safe start etc but it won't accept safe start or any other option. Then when the countdown ends it tries to start up but flashes off and returns to the safe/standard start screen again, and this goes on and ond on.
    We briefly get a screen giving you the option of F10 and F10 and we can get into these.
    Do you think there is anything a technician could do. It's only six months old.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Is it Windows XP? If it is, you need a boot disc.

midlifecrashes

Do you get an option to boot from anything other than the hard disc? IE plug a drive/stick into the USB socket and boot from that?

cp

if you can get into the BIOS screens by pressing F10 you can set what to boot from, and there are means and ways of sorting yourself out.

It may involve doing a complete disk format and re-install of windows though.

It will be rescuable, but you may loose data saved on there.

uplink
    Free Member

Is it Windows XP? If it is, you need a boot disc.

Most netbooks don't have an optical drive – you'd need a bootable USB

oldgit
    Free Member

Sounds promising thanks.
    No data to worry about, my daughter uses it for her notes whilst on job placements at schools then she either prints off ore save to disc, and a bit of Facebook.
    I've asked her to find a recovery disc?
    So I'll probably be back later for more help.

englishbob
    Free Member

As mentioned above, burn a copy of Ubuntu to a USB stick and try to boot from that.

Follow this guide

Ubuntu has a live-CD mode where everything runs from the CD and leaves your hard disk alone. If this works okay then you can conclude that your hardware is fine and your problem is your windows installation.

If Ubuntu works, copy all important files you can read onto another USB stick and reinstall windows.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Netbook now dead?’ is closed to new replies.