Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • "Nepalese people spend their time wandering around and sitting on park benches."
  • gwaelod
    Free Member

Gurkhas…nails

Can’t we keep nepalese here and send MPs to a hot deserty place to face the taliban

gwaelod
    Free Member

batfink – Member

what a total b*ll end.
    In related news: it’s noticable how many Gurkha-lookin fellas are now security guards for shops in the area. Wonder how the local tea-leafs are enjoying that!

I think there is one security company now making using ex gurkhas as a specific selling point. .there were certainly a few extremely polite and tough looking chaps who could have been Ex-Gurkha at the Track World Cup in Feb at Olympic Velodrome place

Ah – found them

Welcome to Gurkha Security Services

souldrummer
    Free Member

I work in Aldershot, and I regret to say that the very balanced views shown in the above posts are sadly lacking in some of the people I work with, many of whom live in the town. There was a threat of a march last year to protest about the number of Nepalis in Aldershot – I am not sure if it actually happened.

This is not the first time the MP for Aldershot has made a fool of himself, and I would imagine it won’t be the last.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I regret to say that the very balanced views shown in the above posts are sadly lacking in some of the people I work with, many of whom live in the town. There was a threat of a march last year to protest about the number of Nepalis in Aldershot

This is not the first time the MP for Aldershot has made a fool of himself

The two could be connected. Although as he has a safe seat with no chance of losing in 2015, he is indeed a fool for risking his own party’s national popularity for the sake of his own local popularity.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Gurkhas…nails

Can’t we keep nepalese here and send MPs to a hot deserty place to face the taliban

+100

peteimpreza

There is a building developer down my way who has recruited a team of ex Ghurkas to provide security to their sites.

They arranged discounted bus tickets with appropriate bus company as most of them did not drive and/or have a car.

The bus service was less than reliable in reality so what did the team do? Not turn up? Turn up late? Blame it on the bus company?

NO, arranged a central meeting point and jogged to the site arriving early enough to have time to make them selves presentable for duty. After the shift they jogged back.

15 miles each way!!

AYO GURKHALI!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think there is one security company now making using ex gurkhas as a specific selling point. .there were certainly a few extremely polite and tough looking chaps who could have been Ex-Gurkha at the Track World Cup in Feb at Olympic Velodrome place

Dunno if it’s the same lot, but there’s a portacabin in Farnborough football club car park occupied by a Gurkha security firm.

Pete – We used to employ Gurkha security at the quarry. (I sold one of them a bike for £20 to get to work on, Mrs PPs old Diamond Back) and one of them could regularly be seen sitting outside at night on the sand stockpile, with a little meths stove cooking his dinner! 🙂

I regret to say that the very balanced views shown in the above posts are sadly lacking in some of the people I work with, many of whom live in the town. There was a threat of a march last year to protest about the number of Nepalis in Aldershot

This really saddens me. Hopefully they are in the minority. Certainly nobody I know had any objection to them that I know of, including a few Army/ex-Army types.

globalti
    Free Member

I don’t know any Gurkhas but I’ve enjoyed plenty of hospitality in Pakistan and I would add Pakistanis as decent and hospitable people when you meet them in the right context. I’m not talking about the scallies who race around town in black Audis with rorty exhausts here; I’m talking about their families.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Had to bring this back to the top after picking up a new cookbook at the weekend that has just been launched (nowt to do with me, I saw it in the Gurkha museum in Winchester, only came out a few of weeks ago)

Written by a Gurkha master chef with 23 years service

All I can say, is that it should have any of you Nepalese food fans drooling, and that the chicken and pineapple in honey sauce is simply to die for!

http://www.theultimatenepalesecookbook.com/

PS – there’s a donation to the Gurkha welfare trust from every purchase too!

toys19
    Free Member

Nice thread.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Having said all this, the ultimately saddest thing is Joanna Lumley has probably brought an end to the Gurkha regiment as it will no longer be cost effective to keep them.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘"Nepalese people spend their time wandering around and sitting on park benches."’ is closed to new replies.