Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Neoprene gloves any good?
  • averageatbest
    Free Member

My hands are not the best in the cold weather. I suspect that the main reason for this is the fact that my hands sweat very quickly with long finger gloves. As a result I have numerous pairs of winter gloves which all seam to fail on very cold days. I’ve seen these 3mm neoprene gloves on offer until Sunday and wonder whether they are the solution.

From what I have read, neoprene gloves work well in the wet. So, I’m wondering if they may be the solution? The cost of them wont break the bank, but I don’t really want to add yet another pair of winter gloves to my growing collection, if they ain’t going to help.

Would neoprene gloves help and is 3mm enough?

bruneep

these have been bookmarked for a while http://www.windowcleancentre.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?ProductID=165 keep meaning to try a pair

MarkE25

I’ve got a pair of glacier gloves that are neoprene and very good. I also suffer with cold hands and they’ve been great. Think mine are a bit thicker than 3mm though? Edit: just seen link above-they are the same as mine and appear to be 2mm neoprene so 3mm would be nice and warm.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I had a pair of neoprene gloves a few years ago. I found them quite sweaty, and once the wind got through them on a descent, they stayed cold

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wind does not get through neoprene. The only downside of Glaciers is the sweating on anything above zero. awesome gloves.

mboy
    Free Member

I get on well with neoprene gloves when riding on road. Less so offroad. I find on the road the air flow regulates the temperature nicely, offroad they get a bit too sweaty…

Neoprene isn’t breathable, but then it is warm when wet. I’d rather warm and wet hands than cold and dry to be fair. But warm and dry is of course preferable…

plus-one

Never worked for me .. Sweaty and then cold/damp if removing and putting back on 🙁

Tried loads of gloves from endura-sealskin-ski gloves spending loads !!!

Finally tried the £14.99 Planet X lobster gloves and hallelujah(for me anyway) 🙂

lightman
    Free Member

I had the same problem with sweaty hands in thick gloves like you, I now use one or two pairs of thinner breathable gloves, but make sure I keep my core and arms warm and that seems to do the job.

Northwind

The perfect curves are awesome gloves, it needs to be properly cold or wet before they’re even wearable and they’re by far the warmest gloves I’ve ever used (though they have a bit of a weird feel because of the thick squishy neoprene- it’s like having 2 sets of grips)

But they’re sweaty normally so you might find them unpleasantly so- 100% waterproof so you will get soggy.

cakefacesmallblock

Wind won’t get through neoprene itself, but unless blind stitched or taped it will penetrate stitching , particularly as the neoprene will stretch round fingers etc.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have castelli neoprene gloves and they are good but as others have said they’re sweaty, but that’s how they keep your hands warm. I find their temperature range pretty limited, start to get chilly hands around 2-3 degrees and too warm for around 10 degrees. If you need to take them off when you’re riding then their cold and damp when you put them back on. They’re also pretty smelly. Having said all that they are comfortable and I like them but know their limitations.

averageatbest
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. For £17.99 I’ll give the neoprene’s a go. If they don’t suit me I suppose I could stick them on eBay as nearly new (along with all the other winter gloves I have)!

Interesting idea about the Planet X Lobster glove. Decent price to be fair, but not in stock at the moment. I’ll try those next if I cant get on with the neoprene’s.

Cheers for the advice.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Neoprene gloves any good?’ is closed to new replies.