Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Neighbours overhanging trees – what are the options?
  • maxb
    Free Member

Just to say first – no conflict here, just want to know the options before having a chat.

They back onto us with four mahoosive trees right on their boundary (40ft firs) with most of the growth on the south (our) side. Kept up with trimming as much as we can down the years but impossible now and it’s getting silly. Ideally I’d like to get the tops cut off but at least all the high overhanging stuff dealt with.

weeksy

both times here in 2 houses, we’ve knocked on their door and said “Excuse me…. them trees…”

Couple of weeks later, they were done…

jekkyl

Your options are cut them yourself or ask them to cut them or employ someone to cut them. What’s the dilema?

bigyinn
    Free Member

40ft is going to be difficult for anyone but a pro to deal with. They need topping out to a reasonable height IMO.
    I like trees, but those will just steal the light and very little can grown underneath them.

yetidave
    Free Member

we have some interesting law in Scotland called the hedge Act Scotland, (or something similar), Basically if you have two or more trees on the boundary it is a hedge and hedges can only be 2m, especially if they are causing any detriment to the property.

My neighbour has five 40ft+ trees on the boundary and I need to have a chat with him. Dont’ wish to use the law, but its there as necessary.

I have a quote of £400 to top all to 20ft and leave me with the firewood, removing the rest.

Cougar

You have trees in someone else’s garden? How’s that work?

yetidave
    Free Member

I have edited to make more sense now! 😉

maxb
    Free Member

Thanks all – no dilemma just not sure where I stand regarding who is responsible for the cost and/or removal of timber?

thecaptain
    Free Member

In principle I don’t believe you can normally force them to do anything, you can cut off the overhanging bits yourself at your cost, but not reduce the height on their side of the boundary. However if they agree the trees are over-large they might sort it themselves.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I went through this.

40ft leylandii in neighbours garden blocking light.

I was dreading the conversation but it turns out neighbour didn’t particularly like it either as it took up half their garden, they just didn’t know what to do with it and was a afraid of the pro’s as they though it would be expensive.

I offered to pay and organise a tree surgeon to cut it down completely, which they did (£300 including 2 others and took 2 of them all day). Afterwards the neighbour was so pleased they gave me half the money.

In the end it was his tree but I had the bigger problem with it. For the sake of a few quid it has gone and everyone is happy.

Talk to them, good fences make good neighbours.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours overhanging trees – what are the options?’ is closed to new replies.