Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • neighbour wars
  • jekkyl

can I just congratulate the Op on a well presented thread, it’s rare to get decent pictures and …. a map accompanying the rantette. Well done, thread of the day. 😀

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

The other alternative is a cockerel. Then they’ll want the thickest, highest hedge imaginable. A bantam with a high pitched crow would be best, as the hedge will have most effect, the lower frequencies of a larger man-bird wouldn’t be attenuated as much so the perceived benefit wouldn’t be there.

Guinea Fowl would be better. They properly make a high pitched racket. Get half a dozen. Cockerels are just too ignorable.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d be a bit annoyed at that. They’ve waited until you’ve gone to work and butchered the hedge.
    A simple chat with you asking if you’d mind if they cut the hedge back a little as it makes it tricky to pull out of their drive would have prevented all this.
    Although they have gone in pretty deep, its green privet, which actually responds well to a good chopping back every now and then, so it will grow back. I’d be inclined to tidy the rest up a little, just to even up the depth and regrowth.
    But I would say something to them and a reasonable, non-argumentative manner that next time please ask me first.

Then set fire to his car and house that night.

Cougar

At least he’s made a nice tidy job of it.

Any green fingered experts here know what the chances of the privet regrowing at the bottom are?

If it’s anything like mine, it’ll depend whether it’s facing the sun or not. Sunny side grows thick and fast as soon as it gets a whiff of sun and rain in succession, the non-sunny side grows but nowhere near as thick.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Use a shovel to clean the mud and leaves from the driveway surface, so it’s obvious where the edge is. Leave it a day or two then put some white-painted wooden posts right on the edge of your property. If anyone asks or comments, mention a possible block-work wall that you’re thinking about, because you’d like a secure boundary again.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

PS, on the photo it looks like someone has cleared the leaves to see where the edge of the surfacing is.

totalshell

it could be argued successfully i feel that the hedge is indeed the boundary. and that has not been breached as the gardener has not touched any of the ‘trunk’ of the hedge only the branches that overhang the lane over which he presumably has a right of acess

phiiiiil

They’ve waited until you’ve gone to work and butchered the hedge.

Has he? Or has he just done it during the day like you would?

Does he actually know it’s your hedge, or does he just think of it as “the hedge down the lane”, that might be owned by the council, or anybody, so nobody really minds? I wonder if he’s blissfully ignorant as to what he’s actually done…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

If he’s damaged anything that’s on your land use you house insurance legal cover to sue him, first legal letter usually shits em up.

If it’s not on your land then why should others have the inconvenience of your overgrown hedge scratching their cars.

nostoc
    Free Member

It will probably grow back better if you trim it back all the way to the top so the overhang doesnt shade the lower stuff

weeksy

If he’s damaged anything that’s on your land use you house insurance legal cover to sue him, first legal letter usually shits em up.

Really ?

elzorillo
    Free Member

Does he actually know it’s your hedge, or does he just think of it as “the hedge down the lane”, that might be owned by the council, or anybody, so nobody really minds? I wonder if he’s blissfully ignorant as to what he’s actually done…

Oh he knows.. he’s been there 40+ years and I’ve been there 26. Just never really had any contact other than the odd nod.

What you cant see from that photo is that the first 15m of the border from the road is a brick wall.. then there’s about 30m of hedge then the rest is made up of about 25 fence panels. I’ve always kept the hedge neatly cut to within about 6inch of the wall/fence. What was a nice 2-3ft thick hedge bordering my patio is now just a few inches thick.. he’s hacked a good foot and a half of depth from a very old and established hedge.

Although very annoyed I’m just more concerned that he’s not killed it as I actually liked it and would prefer it to grow back. There is also an added concern that my garden is a good foot lower than the lane and the only thing holding the lane up at that point was the old hedge. If anyone drives onto the soft ground on that photo the whole thing is likely to collapse into my garden.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Crap in his eyes and shave his cat.

weeksy

I have to say though, he’s done a bloody horrific job… I’d be knocking and having a chat about it.

iainc

There is also an added concern that my garden is a good foot lower than the lane and the only thing holding the lane up at that point was the old hedge.

so if the lane now collapses into your garden, meaning the lane isn’t useable for vehicle access, who is responsible for fixing it ?….

convert

In these days of overcrowded and over-parked suburban streets it’s refreshing to hear of people wanting to park on their own land via a back alley rather than abandon it 2ft from their front door. The neighbourly thing for you to do would make it easy to do and encourage it happening more. Your hedge, whilst previously well maintained is unnecessarily thick and very close to the tyre track. The whole lot needs a good hack back.

Somewhere on another thread is another ranter saying ‘for years he’s let his hedge getting thicker and thicker with no consideration to our car getting scratched up so yesterday I went mental with a pair of shears – can’t wait to see his face when he sees it. I’ll bet he’s out there with a camera taking photos to show to his online buddies’.

funkmasterp

Dress as a hedgehog, go to his house and beat him whilst claiming he destroyed your house

elzorillo
    Free Member

Your hedge, whilst previously well maintained is unnecessarily thick and very close the tyre track. The whole lot needs a good hack back.

It is thick.. but it’s thick on my property and wasnt encroaching onto the lane more than a few inches.

I get what you’re saying though, that track is about 6ft wide and a hell of a squeeze for cars. Unfortunately I dont feel it’s my place to donate some of my garden so they can drive comfortably to the rear of their property.. I’ll sell them some of course 😀 They are all 4 story 7 bed Victorian villas so they can certainly afford it.

convert

Unfortunately I dont feel it’s my place to donate some of my garden so they can drive comfortably to the rear of their property.

Your garden? Come on! Can you bbq in the middle of your hedge? Have you ever sat in a deckchair reading a book in the middle of your hedge? In fact have you ever even stood in the middle of your hedge? The useable bit of your garden is the edge of the other side of your hedge – if it’s fresh air or leaves on that bit of land is just semantics.

I’d also be amazed if the deeds on a property of that age are accurate enough to show where within the hedge line the actual boundary is- it won’t be the edge of the tyre track.

dogmatix

end his life now……

dogmatix

or…. i completely see how you would be upset, im not one of the ‘hey get a life’ super cool dudes here. But… I would take a breath, think, pause for thought. Leave it a couple of days try not to think about it, and think about what you want to do after that. Maybe drop a note in his house and mention that you are happy to trim the hedge a bit further back, could he/she discuss it with you in future? If it has gone past the boundary of your house then I would consider trimming the hedge back and erecting a fence to be clear of the boundary. I don’t think that is being unreasonable.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Trimming away the overhang of what he’s left sounds like a good idea.

He’s done an awful job, but I agree about the possibly of putting posts in
    being seen as a ‘passive aggressive wind up’ kind of move by him. Whatever you decide, peacefulness has got to be the best way ahead so he’s more likely to agree about something you want his cooperation with in the future…

alexxx
    Free Member

It was 6″ into the lane and now you’re saying its 3″ into the lane… Basically if you knew it was taking up more space than was strictly yours for all those years I think you have been asking for this day as the neighbours probably think you are a bit of an ass hat for making their lives harder.

Problem with neighbourly tiff’s is that grown men are scared to talk to each other and it all becomes ridiculous…

If you don’t see that side of the hedge or use that lane… but others do want to drive down it then why not sell it to them like you mentioned and put a fence or wall up or whatever you want on the new boundary.

They get the access they need to a property they’ve had all their lives.. you make a few quid and get a proper boundary and no one thinks you’re a dick (whether you are or aren’t).

It’ll save some hassle all around… if the conversation with the neighbours goes sour then go to plan b.. land mines, dog shit bombs, razor wire, shitting on his cat ect..

Houns

Did he return/offer to return any of your hedge that he removed? IANAL but I’m sure that before you go chopping anything that doesn’t belong to you that overhangs/grows on to your property that you must return it

I’d be asking for it back to be petty and annoying (but right)

Houns

Oh and key his car too, that’ll learn him

alexxx
    Free Member

*Also to be fair it looks like he’s done a shit job on purpose so that you can finish it so he doesn’t have the hassle to do it all himself.

I do also agree it looks like he’s scraped back to see where the line was and has taken the growth off and left the trunks

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’d be asking for it back to be petty and annoying (but right)

That will end well.

Property boundaries cause some many problems.

I would go and speak to him and agree a way forward. Trim it back neatly together?

I#m not sure why you think it’s reasonable to have your hedge over hanging a shared access road that doesn’t belong to you?

scrumfled
    Free Member

*Also to be fair it looks like he’s done a shit job on purpose so that you can finish it so he doesn’t have the hassle to do it all himself”

….or, hes fed up waiting for the hedge to be trimmed back to the boundary and has just done the job as quickly and easily as he can.

ps. I’d still install boundary markers, if only to make sure things dont encroach over time 😉

CheesybeanZ

Has he got the landowners permission to use the lane ?

Klunk
    Free Member

stop being a pussy and make a statement!

this what you want 😉

alexxx
    Free Member

hahaha

dirtydog
    Free Member

.. Any green fingered experts here know what the chances of the privet regrowing at the bottom are?

Very high, 2 years ago I butchered mine back from 10 foot to 12″ stumps, they’re approaching 4 foot again and will need trimming this year. Only way you’ll kill them is by pulling the roots up.

Move on, your stressing over bushes, you must have something more important to do/worry about.

Houns

Needs moar watchtowers

Cougar

Move on, your stressing over bushes, you must have something more important to do/worry about.

The fact that the hedge is the only thing holding up the garden structurally, for instance?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Having good Neighbourly relations sometimes strike me as being a bit like global politics, with homes being akin to countries with a mixture of mutual and conflicting interests. It’s important to maintain harmony so agreement can be more easily found when it’s needed.

I think this is the key statement, I do try to avoid any conflict as its the last thing you want to deal with in your own place. Having said that, I agree its worth knocking on his door and asking him if he was aware that he had destroyed a hedge on your property? Nothing aggressive there, just puts him in a position to explain himself whilst feeling uncomfortable about it.

bencooper
    Free Member

The fact that the hedge is the only thing holding up the garden structurally, for instance?

It’ll be the roots doing that, though.

It’s privet. You should see how much we massacre it in the local park, it always comes back, and bushier than before.

Klunk
    Free Member

how about something like….

Jamie
    Free Member

Just make a feature out of it…

argyle
    Free Member

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’d go for Jamie’s solution, but with the razor wire. It’s your boundary, and you want it to be reasonably secure.

Writing as an old git, if you leave it too long he’ll assume he has the right to drive over your patch.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘neighbour wars’ is closed to new replies.