Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Neighbour keeps dinging our car door…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My wife’s car is normally parked outside our house and recently I have noticed the odd scratch and one proper dent on the side nearest to where our neighbour parks. Up till now we have had no reason to be certain it was him so we had just put it down to the usual inevitable marks cars get.

This morning I saw another dent and, as the car has not been moved since Sunday when I washed it, we know for certain it was him.

So – my question is – how do I approach it? I don’t want to go in all guns blazing and accusing him. He is an older bloke with a car with big doors and it may just be that he doesn’t realise what he is doing, but at the same time I want him to know we are not happy.

Now where’s the T-Cut?…

IanMunro
    Free Member

The other neighbor you ranted to about parking has had a word with this one, and they’ve decided to accidently dent your car on a regular basis.
    Time to move, or buy an old landy or hilux 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOL – no, it has been going on since way before the other neighbour and I had our little fall out. And I heard on the grapevine (through another neighbour) that she admitted she was a grouchy old cow and felt bad about what she had said. Still hasn’t apologised though.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Errect a fence!

wwaswas

I get the impression it’s communal, nose to the kerb, type parking, bob.

you could buy him some of those little rubber things that clip over his door and cushion the blow a bit?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I realised the other day as I tried to find a break in the solid wall of parked cars on my street wide enough to get the Big Dummy through to get to my gate that owning a car would be an absolute pain in the neck.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It is at the end of a lane, side by side so the doors open into the opposite car. We ‘could’ erect a fence, but it would make it more difficult for us to get in and out as it is relatively narrow anyway. And as we are about to have twins, I think that giving ourselves less room to get in and out of the car will cause more problems than it will solve.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Gaffer tape a bit of carboard, over some bubble wrap, onto the door.

Not pretty, but will prevent further damage.

Coyote
    Free Member

Torch his car. He won’t do it again and the burnt out husk will serve as a warning to others.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Dust-off and nuke him from orbit, only way to be sure.

mrsflash
    Free Member

And as we are about to have twins

do you set yourself a challenge to get this info into every post 😉 😆

mrsflash
    Free Member

anyway I think the correct advice is either wee in his shoes, or own him with bombers.

Speshpaul

Next time you are chatting mention that some idiot in a car park has ****tted your door again. The message might sink in.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

do you set yourself a challenge to get this info into every post

Not a challenge but, as you can imagine, I am VERY excited (especially as it is 36 week scan this afternoon)!

Sorry – will try not to mention that we are having twins again. 😉

Rich
    Free Member

Coyote – Member

Torch his car. He won’t do it again and the burnt out husk will serve as a warning to others.

😆 😆

pedalhead
    Free Member

Are these your first kids? Give it a few weeks and you’ll be so knackered you won’t give a flying **** about the car 🙂

wwaswas

and give it a couple of years and the interior will look like a badly filled skip and you’ll be grateful for the distraction of the dents in the doors.

hora
    Free Member

Its a no-win situation. He/his passenger will know that his car door knocks against yours. Its obvious isnt it? So he obviously thinks its not an issue so would look at you like you are mad/he wouldnt agree. Ideally you want him to say ‘oh, I didnt realise (shock look on face), Im really sorry etc’.

Trust me, my GF thinks opening a car door against a wall etc is no problem- she thinks I have a problem as its ‘only a car’ and they are meant to be scratched with wear and tear.

Its a fence- then your guranteed/peace of mind.

takisawa2

Oooh….if this annoys you it will pail to insignificance at the frustration of the selfish arseholes parked in the parent & toddler bays when you’ve two babies to get in / out of the car….

I’m with burning his car.
    But I’d move yours first.

robbo1234biking

Oooh….if this annoys you it will pail to insignificance at the frustration of the selfish arseholes parked in the parent & toddler bays when you’ve two babies to get in / out of the car….

Is that the ones in convertibles without kids who simply must pick up a bottle of wine on the way home from a hard day at the office…?

pedalhead
    Free Member

..and on that subject…why are there always loads more disabled parking spaces than parent/toddler ones? I mean, surely there’s a higher proportion of people with kids than those with a disability? oh well.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes, but maybe more people with kids could manage to park a little further from the main entrance, whereas it could be more difficult for someone with disabilities to have to travel the extra distance.

pedalhead
    Free Member

you haven’t met my kids

ski
    Free Member

Had the same thing with our next door neighbour, again did not relizied it was here until we spotted it happening.

Again, elderly and she did not know she was marking the car, she used to swing out the door of her car as far as it could go, then lever herself out using the door, which left little vertical scratches to our car.

TBH I did not mention it to her, she was a great neighbour and had enough on her plate to contended with.

MF – Could your neighbour park his car the other way round so his door does not open onto your car, or is there scope to jiggle the space so it makes it easier for both of you?

wwaswas

I always thought the disabled bays were put close to the store to give able bodied bmw drivers somewhere convenient to park?

mrsflash
    Free Member

Not a challenge but, as you can imagine, I am VERY excited (especially as it is 36 week scan this afternoon)!

Sorry – will try not to mention that we are having twins again.

You know I know that 🙂 Mention it as much as you like and let us know how scan goes 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

MF – wait until those twins(!) arrive, and then make sure every time you open your car door to get the little tots in and out you give his car a good belt. It’ll soon concentrate his attention.

Then, when he starts out of his house to moan about it, you need only reply with:

“We’ve got twins, you know. I haven’t slept for 72 hours and willyougetoutofmyf***ingwayplease.”

(PS Hope the scan goes well)

MrAgreeable

Watch and learn.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Could your neighbour park his car the other way round so his door does not open onto your car, or is there scope to jiggle the space so it makes it easier for both of you?

It is a difficult one – we try to park far enough across that his door will open plenty, but his doors are huge so we couldn’t get far enough across. I doubt he would want to park the other way as it would mean his door opening straight into his gate.

MF – wait until those twins(!) arrive, and then make sure every time you open your car door to get the little tots in and out you give his car a good belt. It’ll soon concentrate his attention.

His is an old and relatively battered car – I doubt he would care/notice if that happened…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Nitromorse his car. Its the only way you will get some peace of mind.

You ask him to stop it – Fall out LOSE
    You ignore it – You get more and more wound up LOSE
    You ask him to park another way – Fall Out LOSE
    You put a fence up – You cant get in easily LOSE

You nitro his car – You watch whilst he goes mental trying to work out who did it. Chances are he will ask you if you have seen anyone suspicious around. You drop into the conversation that you are also looking for the person who keeps opening their door into your car and damaging it. Say that there are some really horrible people in this world and walk off. This way if he keeps damaging your car, at least you have the ‘upper hand’ in the damage stakes to his car and if it stops you get the result you want as well.

Go buy some Nitro

takisawa2

You could always pay for a gull-wing conversion on his car.

Or park so close that he cant get to his door.

uplink
    Free Member

Trust me, my GF thinks opening a car door against a wall etc is no problem- she thinks I have a problem as its ‘only a car’ and they are meant to be scratched with wear and tear.

That’s pretty much my take on it too – I always wondered why cars are made so shiny & easily damaged & then expected to spend their whole lives in a hostile environment.

As for the OP – It may be worth just going to see the fella & asking if you can make it any easier for him to get in & out of his car & see where it goes from there.

MrAgreeable

Cut off his head, and display it on your satellite dish as a warning.

hora
    Free Member

Ok, leftfield here. How about a foam block or similar etc that you can place against your car everytime you park up?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Hide in the car, so when he does it again you can leap out and give the old bugger a heart attack, he won’t do it again EVER RIP! Job done.

hora
    Free Member

Is this on the Scirroco? I was looking at one this mroning- its got the same big/wide open flanks as my old Altea- door-dingtastic 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cut off his head, and display it on your satellite dish as a warning.

Oh my! How I LOLed at that one!!!!!

DezB
    Free Member

Might be stating the obvious, but can’t you say “Excuse me old bean, looks like you might’ve bumped our car with your door. Would you mind being careful when you open the doors please?”

Maybe, hold a claw hammer in your hand and while you say it whap it into the palm of the other hand.

Rich
    Free Member

Hehe, this forum is funny sometimes! 😀

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

help him out and remove his doors!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour keeps dinging our car door…’ is closed to new replies.