Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Needing all the parts
  • lustyd
    Free Member

Has anyone else ever bought a frame and then been a bit depressed that you can’t even put it in the maintenance stand because there’s no seatpost. Can’t put the lockout lever on because there is no stem or handlebar. Can’t cut the steerer down due to lack of a stem. Can’t put the spare cranks I do have on because they aren’t boost and literally saw into the frame. It looks pretty on the floor though…

Can someone lend me all of the parts for a plus bike other than the frame? 🙄

jaylittle
    Free Member

Only ever really done it once and it was hard to see the end. I never really knew what spec i was after, just bought bits as they came up cheap

It makes the maiden voyage much more special though!

lustyd
    Free Member

that’s where I am. I know what groupset I want, but who gives a monkey’s what handlebar, and how do I decide, and what if I get it wrong?
    Only went frame because I have too many parts from bikes I’ve bought and immediately upgraded everything (hence costing more overall) and I regret it already, I need wheels!
    Worse still, there is literally no-one selling boost/plus parts in the UK right now so shopping is a challenge.

breadcrumb
    chakaping
    Free Member

This is why I generally keep all the parts to hand, just in case this situation should arise.

lustyd
    Free Member

I’m not putting that muggle SLX slop on my shiny frame!

Perhaps I should have said the boost stuff I want. Hubs are the hardest to find, but you’re right there are one or two items around just not much choice especially at the high end which is where people buying frames tend to look ironically. Not sure who’d buy a bike and upgrade to SLX or who’d buy a frame and fit SLX. Generally whole bikes are cheaper with XT than framesets alone as frame only is usually the high end frame.

Either way, I’m bored of waiting and need new toys!

eulach

I started a build six months ago by ordering spokes and a rim for a hub I’d had in the spares box for over a year. The nearer it gets to being finished, the faster it goes. I still neeed a rear wheel though…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Three goes it took me before i could get an alfine hub into a frame.

Added the correct washers to the bike as my team mate did the first lap of strathpuffer 😆

breadcrumb
    Pyro

Not sure who’d buy a bike and upgrade to SLX or who’d buy a frame and fit SLX.

Me, and probably a lot of other people who either don’t have the cash to go higher and/or don’t feel the need to. SLX works fine, doesn’t cost the earth if you bust a mech, and looks okay, why spend more?

ajantom

What you need is a nice dropper post to start off your build.

coomber
    Free Member

Pyro – Member

Not sure who’d buy a bike and upgrade to SLX or who’d buy a frame and fit SLX.

Me, and probably a lot of other people who either don’t have the cash to go higher and/or don’t feel the need to. SLX works fine, doesn’t cost the earth if you bust a mech, and looks okay, why spend more?

^^ As above really. With full build specs continuously decreasing, I’d hazard a guess lots of people are doing this exact upgrade. I know I have.

northshoreniall

Damn – I’d better ring the shop this morning and tell them cancel the new build as was putting an SLX boost hub on front.
    Thanks for highlighting my cheapness to me, close shave! Silly me going for functionality over spending more money on something I’d likely not notice on a front hub.

cookeaa

I’m guessing you’re not a list-maker OP?

I can’t imagine buying a frame and only thinking about what parts will fit once it’s on a workstand.

I would honestly have done like others suggest and bought a complete off the peg bike, with a view to replacing some bits as and when… You’ll waste at least another couple of weeks through may (probably longer) when you could have been out riding, albeit on ‘inferior’ SLX parts…

Good luck fella.

ajantom

You’ve got to remember that the OP is a riding god who has never had occasion to lower his saddle even for DH trails. So why should he sully his mount with sub-standard parts?

cookeaa

People are entitled to ride whatever they like and can turn their nose up at stuff below XT if they want, we all have our own ‘standards’ in life…

But I’ll be out riding this weekend, in the glorious early spring sunshine, on my fully assembled HT with it’s, perfectly functional if not blingy Deore/Zee/Hone drivetrain, while the OP will have an incomplete pile of bike parts in his shed…

The mantra really should be:

“Build it in the winter, ride and tweak it during spring, wear it out over summer…”

chakaping
    Free Member

What kind of mug would splash out on full XT when it’s only the shifter that feels any different?

😉

lustyd
    Free Member

Haha calm down everyone I was kidding! What I meant by the upgrade comment was that many bikes come with SLX so you wouldn’t be upgrading generally, just replacing. I’ve nothing against SLX but framesets tend to be pricey so usually when doing a build you put higher end gibbons on to match.
    Breadcrumb thanks for the link but the XTR you linked isn’t boost, which is the problem I face everywhere, the normal stuff is all over the place.
    Cookeaa I will be riding this is an n+1 so I don’t mind a delay. There was shockingly little information on the frame despite being a Scott. I didn’t want to risk ordering on assumption as it didn’t even say what forks were included in the pack let alone axle size. All turned out as expected in the end though other than BB was 89.5 not 92mm. Now have pricing from a couple of less local LBS for most of the parts so should be riding in a few weeks.
    Ajantom I am indeed a riding god, thanks for acknowledging that 🙂

davosaurusrex

I’m about to replace my old XT cranks with some new SLX boost jobs because they look nicer. So ner.

ajantom

Ajantom I am indeed a riding god, thanks for acknowledging that

😉

I bought (and built up) a new frame recently. It will take plus tyres, but I made sure it wasn’t boost so I could use some existing components.
    It’s really does seem like a solution looking for a problem.
    I’ve got a 29+ bike and the new 27.5/27.5+ bike, and both work fine with standard spacing. It does feel like the bike industry is trolling us sometimes.

lustyd
    Free Member

I kind of agree but with larger cassettes and disk brakes boost does make sense. I think it’ll become the norm eventually but in the short term it’s frustrating that I can’t even try the frame with any of my many wheels on. That said, some wheels are too fat to fit so clearly I’m the target market for this kind of stuff (very prone to marketing, love new toys).
    I fitted the 1x crankset off the hard tail and the chainring was touching the frame! Quite funny with the non boost front wheel in though with a 10mm gap 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Needing all the parts’ is closed to new replies.