Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Need to get rid of our cat (unfortunately)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

And he needs to be donated alive and well to a good home. The canal and/or a binbag are not good homes.

There's always the cat's protectino league, from where we got him, but anyone got any better ideas?

Or, anyone want a cat, Wales/South West area? 🙂 Lovely animal, impeccably behaved…

Flaperon

Can I ask why?

mt
    Free Member

There is always that chef in Italy, he loves cats.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He's probably about to be lynched by the neigbours because it's always pooing in their gardens….

soobalias
    Free Member

take it back where you got it and explain your mistake

cranberry
    Free Member

The Blue Cross have always seemed very professional/helpful for us ( our family have had 4 cats from them over the years ).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wish our would poo in someone else's garden, she poos in ours (or the litter tray) then the **** dog digs it up & eats it!

I DO NOT REALLY WISH SHE WOULD POO IN SOMEONE ELSE'S GARDEN, AS i LIKE OUR NEIGHBOURS.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mrs Grips wanted one two years ago before we had a kid, so I agreed.. although I love cats and love this one in particular, I knew it'd mean we couldn't do certain things. Now my work want me to go to Denmark for three months. Now either I go away all week and hardly see my family (and we'd all three be miserable) or she comes with me and we live in a foreign city for a while, which we'd both love and our daughter would most likely not care 🙂

So we've got a great opportunity to do something we'd both really love, but the cat is the problem.

al_f
    Free Member

Take it with you? Quick rabies vaccination and flea/tick treatment and bob's yer uncle, no need to quarantine it when you come back either IIRC as long as all the paperwork's in order.

EDIT: all details here – http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If you love it, set it free. It's a cat it'll be able to look after itself!

hels
    Free Member

Sorry to put a damper on the take the cat with you plan, but it takes 3 months for the paperwork, you have to get a rabies test that is clear, followed by another clear test 3 months later, then a pet passport to take her to an EU country.

Keep asking around I am sure you will find a home, epspecially for a nice house trained cat that tolerates both children and dogs. Put a notice up in the local library, one of the staff will probably take it for their collection.

I am not planning my decline into multiple cat owning librarian spinsterhood for a few more years yet or I would take her.

al_f
    Free Member

hels – Member
    Sorry to put a damper on the take the cat with you plan, but it takes 3 months for the paperwork, you have to get a rabies test that is clear, followed by another clear test 3 months later, then a pet passport to take her to an EU country.

I know all that, where in the OP's posts did it say when he was going? 🙄

If the timing is an issue, why not just get a friend/relative to look after the cat for 12 weeks? It's not that long really.

Flaperon

Don't set it free – cats that have grown up around people can't fend for themselves. My parents have adopted one that they found eating horse food on the farm.

It's house trained and friendly but skin and bones, and its fur is matted and tangled. Don't you have a neighbour that might look after it for 3 months. Not that long!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If it regularly brings you home presents it can fend for itself.

molgrips
    Free Member

Denmark is the plan btw. Taking him with would be problematic a bit, because he really hates even the 20 min drive to the cattery. 12 hours across Europe followed by likely incarceration in a flat wouldn't go down very well.

Neighbour looking-after is a possibility, considering the idea of having a security-controlled catflap installed then the neighbours need only come round every three days to top up the dry food.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Can't you give it to friends or family?

FFJA
    Free Member

I got a cattery, which 3 month? Sure one would do decent rates, we've had them in in similar situations before

doc_blues
    Free Member

I work at a large well known vet school nr London, and we often get ads for rehoming animals on our intranet. If you mail me and send a description of the moggy (ie advert style) and your location/contact details I could post one up for you to see. email should be in profile.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

what you need is Bubbles' Kittyland Love Centre. Problem solved.

Taff
    Free Member

My mrs best not see this post. Shell start welling up at the thought of having to get rid of a pet. Shame you're not closer.

luke
    Free Member

Most animal rescue place's only let you have there animals on lease and if you no longer want them for any reason you have to give them back.
    A local animal rescue place recently got the police envolved as someone had sold one of there animals on, rather than giving it back.

hels
    Free Member

Leave food down for a cat for 3 months ? It won't be there when you get back – it will have found a nice soft old lady to cuddle up to at nights. And what if it gets sick ? Bad idea, as is leaving it in the cat jail for 3 months it will go crazy.

molgrips
    Free Member

The current thinking now is that we can't get rid of the cat, we're too attached.. so we need to figure out how to keep him happy and fed.

We think maybe we can get a catflap installed, one of those ones that only opens for him, and then have a neighbour come round every few days to top up the food and water. That way he can come and go, still have a warm house to go into and food and all.

Either that or we get someone to house-sit.

As for cuddling up to someone – yeah right. He just wants his own space and peace and quiet with occasional human contact.

hels
    Free Member

Thats a terrible thing to do ! You can't give the cat away because you are attached, yet you would treat it like that ?? Sounds very selfish I am sorry to say. Are you trying to horrify somebody into taking the cat on while you are away ?

Cats might not show it but they need company. Anyway once it realises there are no consequences it will rip the place to bits, and run away and find another owner. If my neighbour did this I would be taking the cat to the SPCA.

cranberry
    Free Member

What she ^^^^ said.

clydebuilt
    Free Member

I'll look after your cat for three months, only problem is I live near Glasgow, so you'd have to bring it up here and collect it.

GW
    Free Member

hels – FFS! get a grip! 2 cats here that are left for 2 months every summer with almost exactly the routine molgrips suggests.

means someone's looking after your house too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cats might not show it but they need company

Umm, cats are solitary animals. So why does it need someone? It won't scratch the place, why would it? Plenty of trees in the garden for that.

Plenty of people in the neighbourhood, plenty of other cats too to fight with. Mice to eat, bunnies to play with – no problem.

hels
    Free Member

My cat lives about half her life outside and still scratches the furniture, and she gets upset if I leave her alone for more than a couple of days (with a friend feeding her). I would take your cat for 3 months but I am only allowed one at the moment.

I have always had cats so this is not based on a sample of one.

Cats aren't solitary animals – they need and like company – it just doesn't like you very much from the sound of it and I don't blame it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well hels – our cat is not like your cat. I'm not a nasty man, I am very caring and considerate. I've known my cat for two years now and I understand him somewhat better than you do. He is happy on his own, that's why he hardly ever talks to us unless he wants to be let out or fed.

If I didn't think he could handle it I wouldn't be thinking about it.

So easy with the generalisations of people and cats you don't know!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Need to get rid of our cat (unfortunately)’ is closed to new replies.