Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Need some route advice – west highland way – Edinburgh
  • jim600
    Free Member

Hi all,

I need a bit of route advice. I fly to iceland with my bike from edinburgh airport at the end of the month, but fancy getting some of scotland in first. So I’m planning to fly to inverness, down through aviemore and then across to fort bill and down the west highland way to milngavie ish).

Its then how I get from the milngavie (the start/end of the WHW) to edinburgh, I can ride the union canal into edinburgh, but is there any offroad route from the WHW to say falkirk/anywhere along the canal which prevents having to ride into glasgow to reach the canal.

Im trying to avoid as much road/city riding as possible, so looking for a route wich links the canal and west highland way.

Any such thing exist?
    Thanks

seosamh77
    Free Member

this is offroad and will take you on to the canal at kirkintilloch, you’re missing out milngavie/mugdock mind you. probably another few options if you want to go right into milngavie mind but you do mention avoiding going into glasgow..

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/241756449

BoardinBob

Allander Water/ Kelvin Walkway down to Maryhill then onto the canal

Basically this in reverse, except at Stage 5 you’d join the canal

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/glasgow/kelvin-walkway.shtml

jim600
    Free Member

Thanks for the routes, that first one looks ideal.

Second one was sort of what I was expecting to need to do, but If I can avoid glasgow alltogether then even better (nothing against glasgow, I’m just trying to minimise the amount of time on canal paths/in cities and that first route seems to cut out half the canal/avoid the outskirts = perfect.

Thanks again! 8)

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye it’s not the most exciting route, but it’s direct at least and easy only hill is at the distillery as you begin.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Need some route advice – west highland way – Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.