Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Need some advice from the weight weenies…..
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Building a new bike for my girlfriend to be comfy yet lively if that makes any sense! She finds her Rockhopper a bit harsh so will be using a Rocklobster frame on the basis that it should be more forgiving but also reasonably light. I want the rest of the build to be pretty low weight and have got the follwong:
    King Headset,
    RS Reba Teams
    XT/Mavic 717 Wheels with Nobby Nics
    Magura Marta SL Brakes
    XT Chainset
    XT Mechs
    Deore Shifters
    FSA Carbon post
    Easton Carbon Bar
    Charge Ladle Saddle

Is there anywhere I can save some weight without spending a lot of cash for minimal return!?

Will

Stoner
    Free Member

Saddle?

mrmo
    Free Member

have you already bought this, or are you planning on buying this? Could change the wheels to a set of Hope/Stans pre-builts, reasonably cheap and not many lighter wheels available.

can save a surprising amount of weight using foam grips.

smokey_jo

Change to Gripshift

willsimmons
    Free Member

King headset a bit of a waste of money in weight saving terms, no lighter than a £20 offering. If you’re buying it new that money could go towards something lighter like the hubs, XTs are pretty weighty as are 717s compared to Stans rims. Light wheels will make the biggest difference IMO. The carbon post is also not likely to be ‘light’ but they are normally pretty expensive.

So what about a cheaper alloy post, cheaper headset and some more money in the wheelset where the difference will be felt?

Stoner
    Free Member

smart thinking from willsimmons.

nostoc
    Free Member

tell her she’s too fat

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I have all the gear already apart from the carbon post but considering selling a few things if I can lighten the load!

can get nice hope xc/717s which might be a little lighter. wheres the best place for hope/stan builds at the moment?

Daffy

King headset may be expensive, but it’ll last an age.

717’s are fairly light at 395g vs 347-380g for Stans and are half the price. However, stans can be ran tubeless using yellow tape and that’s the key

XT hubs are also quite heavy.

Hope ProII on Stans 355s with yellow tape and vales ran tubless would be give you the biggest and most noticable difference.

The wheelset weight will drop by almost 250-350g and the removal of the inner tubes would be almost another 400g. That’s almost 1.5lbs of rolling weight that she’ll not have to push around and due to it being rolling weight she’ll really “feel” the diference.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

she’ll love it, mine is really light. How about stans olympic wheels?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

nunuboogie-how is yours built up?

mhuk
    Free Member

How about some 16g handlebar grips for £7? Scott Open Lite grips from kudubikes.co.uk

Not all carbon seatposts are uber light. Depending on budget have you looked at the Thomson posts at Merlin? Masterpiece is under 200g and Elite is just over (weight weenies)

@nunuboogie – any excuse to show off your bike 😉 Is that at Long Mynd?

nunuboogie
    Free Member

@mhuk yes 😉

Built mostly from classified items including frame, which i resprayed.

King Headset,
    Fox RL’s
    stans olympic Wheels with racing ralphs
    hope mono mini Brakes
    old XTR Chainset
    XT Mechs
    XT Shifters
    Thomson stem and post
    Easton Carbon Bar
    Charge Ladle Saddle

Biffer
    Free Member

Why not look at an I-beam saddle and post – very light combo.

mhuk
    Free Member

Don’t the i-Beams have a bit of reputation for breaking?

Couple of other areas you can save weight on items you’ll probably be buying anyway are a KMC X9 SL chain (~250g) and an XT cassette (~260g) -XTR is lighter but much more expensive.

And if you use 6 bolt rotors Alligator rotors are very light and cheap, as are Ashima rotors from Merlin.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Foam grips…

500g(ish) fast rolling tyres like Bonty ACX’s, Kenda Small Block8s, Conti Explorers etc??

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Need some advice from the weight weenies…..’ is closed to new replies.