Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • need help with choosing radar lens
  • turneround

got 100 bucks to blow on a couple of lenses but bewildered by the choice. I already have a dark grey lens for the 3 days of major sun we get here but need some advice on lenses for the folowing:

winter conditions, low light
    our summer conditions (light, then overcast then dull etc etc)

can anyone help/
    cheers

jordie
    Free Member

I got a clear vented which i use all winter and it has been pretty good

jemima
    Free Member

Persimmon is great for 80% of riding in the UK I find. Enough tint for direct sun and only too dark for very cloudy days when in thick woods.

Fire iridiums have a similar level of transmissivity but have the added tart factor of having shiny coating :o)

Winter low light? Clear is the only option.

Houns

All depends on your eye type, but have a play around with this

http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical_superiority/lens_tints

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Was about to post the same link as Houns.

Pedant in me feels the need to point out that Persimmon allows 55% light transmission Fire Iridium only allows 16% so a huge difference.

Fire iridium is a very dark tint so suits v.bright days. Persimmon is a good all rounder but will be too bright on very sunny days.

gcaster
    Free Member

It's not on that lens comparison thing but I always find yellow lenses are great for low light conditions, I'm looking at getting myself one of these actually for my Radars. I use a yellow lens for low light skiing and it works a treat. (The Anon website has a similar lens comparison to the Oakley one but has a yellow on there.)

FuzzyWuzzy

Clear vented is the lens I use most often

ratherbeintobago

+1 for Persimmon (I think mine are the iridium ones)

Thinking about getting some clear lenses for the days when the weather is really woeful, but tbh the persimmons ones are pretty good even in cloudy Pennine murk.

Andy

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have the yellow(10%) in my jawbones and they are pretty awful in low light conditions – that just shows how different folks eyes are different….

how ever if im going out on the mtb for a long day i wear my yellow even if the suns out – takes the glare off the sun stops my head hurting and is perfectly usable from about an hour after dawn till about an hour before dusk on sunny days ..

in the rain they are good too – sharpens the potholes up 😀

yellow of persimmon for the overcast summers day

clear for low light

that would be my choice – im going for clear in my jawbones thats for sure !

havnt found much call for my black lenses

tron
    Free Member

I like yellow if it's overcast, brown or grey for sunny.

njee20
    Free Member

I have Jade Iridium/Ice Iridium (both very dark) and clear, never really felt the need for anything in between personally, if it's sunny then go tinted, if not, go clear!

turneround

yellow and clear its looks like…

scottishbadger
    Free Member

V28 with Black Iridium is a good choice for low light. Brightens greens, makes them pop out nicely. I'll only use my clear lense when it gets really overcast or for night rides.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

G30 vented works pretty much all year round for me in my Jawbones (I had to take them off once last year in some very dark woods on a very gloomy day). My missus wanted some Radars for her birthday and ended up with G30 lenses too, and dispite being highly pernickety about such things, she's very happy too.

turneround

managed to bag a new G30 vented for £35, so spare cash for the clear…

gcaster
    Free Member

turneround – Member

managed to bag a new G30 vented for £35, so spare cash for the clear… Where'd you manage to get that?

turneround

made an offer to some bloke on ebay and he accepted, got them last week and they were new..result..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘need help with choosing radar lens’ is closed to new replies.