Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Need fundraising ideas please
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

My mates son has a brain tumour and needs £100k+ raising for an op in America. Anyone got any ideas for fundraising mountain bike rides? Was thinking up Snowdon or something maybe? My fitness isnt tip top at the moment so i would need to crack on with that. Needs to be in northern england/north wales preferably.

Heres the funding page if anyones feeling generous….
    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/TylersFightClub

Cheers

tjagain

£100 000 is a huge amount for a single person to raise or even to make a dent in.

To be very cynical about this you need an attractive child, a story of someone being heartless towards them and preferably an NHS or Labour bashing story and get it taken up by the daily mail to bash the NHS or Labour then go viral on the back of this NHS bashing

jaylittle
    Free Member

A group of friends/family etc on exercise bikes cycling the equivalent of Leigh to America. Do it in a supermarket or other public place so passers by can also make donations. I have not done the maths so have no idea how many people you would need and how long it would take…. just a thought

£5 in the pot.

monksie
    Free Member

A few years ago, before `Rapha made it a ‘thing’, I rode from London Velodrome to Manchester Velodrome in one day. The ace people on here, friends and colleagues donated in total £1500 to St Anns Hospice. I spiced it up with a raffle for everybody who donated getting tickets to win various things including a tv, a days Jedi UK Bike Skills coaching….. it was ace but I spammed the forum for months.
    Some of the forum guys and even some guys from a bike shop in London did some miles with me.
    My point is, it took a lot of effort and an enormous amount of generosity to raise £1500. I’m guessing you won’t be the only one trying to raise 100k?
    Jon and a few friends from the bike shop in Hazel Grove did a ride from Poynton to Snowdon, up it, down it and home again in one go to raise some money. Maybe call in and have a chat with him to see how his fund raising went?
    I’ll donate as soon as I can get off the phone and on to the Mac but i think you’ll need to publish your ‘challenge’ to get any real interest going.
    How about a Two Towers ride? I’ve been thinking about it now that my Tour Divide ride is off. Blackpool to Paris and back in a week or something? I’m in if you are.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks Jaylittle, good idea and thanks for the donation.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Cheers monksie,no I’m not the only one fundraising. Tylers family and friends and a lot of people around the town are doing all sorts of things. Ill consider your ideas too.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

As you know, I’m your wingman in this.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Small world. I know/used to work with his Uncle. He does a lot of fund raising and I remember the first time when he shaved his long hair off (which was an awesome gesture), so they’d both be bald.

I’m going to stick a donation down on payday, but if you want another Leigh based rider to do stuff, I’d be up for it (I wouldn’t cut it dressed as a Jedi ;))

cloudnine
    Free Member

Try contacting local rotary club, round table, masons etc.. or others willing to do sponsored events in aid of your cause..

piemonster

http://trustfunding.org.uk/search.aspx

You might find some grant funders willing to part fund the cost, there’s plenty of grant giving medical trusts out there, if you can find a local one your case might be stronger. I’d also be looking around at local businesses and notable individuals, some people are very well connected when it comes to charitable activity and are good at getting publicity as well as finding money. You’ll want to put a lot of effort into the ‘case for support’ you’ll need for this. These sort of funders will see plenty of tragedy and have to make hard decisions about what they do with their money.

It’s a bit out there but…. One thing you might consider is looking at is actually setting up a charity with the intent of the charity becoming a ‘thing’ that helps people in this particular situation!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Need fundraising ideas please’ is closed to new replies.