Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Need architect drawings for kitchen extension – Recommendations near Southampton
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

We are having a kitchen extension which involves knocking the house about a biut and need an architect to make sure it won'tfall down.

Anyone recommend one in/near Southampton?

mikey74
    Free Member

You will also need a structural engineer if the alterations are that invasive. I work for an architects, but we are probably too far away, being based in East Grinstead. I'd be happy to get you a fee proposal though.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I thought the Architect sorted the structural engineer as he can't do the drawings without knowing what won't collapse. Am I wrong?

What is a Fee Proposal?

Yes, East Grinstead is a bit far unless you fancy popping down to do the work?

mikey74
    Free Member

Well yes, we would sort out the appointment of the structural engineer, but that part of it would not be included our fees: We would make all the contact with them, but you would have to pay their invoices seperately. We would still project manage that side of it.

We have recently done some work down in Southampton, so would do if it was worth our while: Can you give me some more details about what you are proposing? E-mail me at work (mpk@cowan-architects.co.uk) and I can give you more information on Monday. I might be able to recommend a more local architect, if we can't do the work ourselves.

A fee proposal is basically us telling you how much we will charge to do the work you want us to do, before we actually do the work.

TimS
    Free Member

We had an extension designed in the springtime. Our architect (actually he was a Surveyor who did drawings as a sideline) decided where he wanted the hole in the building, and then sent that info to a Structural Engineer who did the sums and specified what metalwork we'd need to stop the house falling down.
    If you've already got plans, you'd only need the Engineer's calculations to satisfy building control. Otherwise, an architect (or other competent house-drawer) is needed to get the drawings etc. done.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

YGM

scaredypants

had a disappointing xperience with a ringwood-based architect a few yr ago (initial design nothing like we discussed, even in terms of how many rooms there'd be, and substantial delay to completion of a pretty simple loft conversion design)

I've checked, there are several in ringwood, many of whom I'm sure are great
    If WCA wants more detail, email in profile

aP
    Free Member

Tims – if your surveyor told you he's an architect he's breaking the law.
    wca – look at architecture.com and use the "find an architect" button.

Wookster

Hi mate try MDT design, we had an extension built and the kitchen wall taken down this lot did the design Inc getting all the structural engineering bits done. Can't recommend them enough. Office is near marwell. Google will bring them up.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WCA concedes that it may indeed have been a supporting wall after all…

mikey74
    Free Member

WCA: Just to let you know, I haven't received an e-mail yet.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Need architect drawings for kitchen extension – Recommendations near Southampton’ is closed to new replies.