Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Need advice on a new bike for my 12 year old.
  • UnmixedMaster

Need some advive, my 12 year old is close to outgrowing his current Islabike Creig 26″. He’s had this for 3 years and absolutely loves it. If he could just get another bigger version of that he’d be happy. However that isn’t possible so we need somethinge else. We live in Brighton and mostly ride singeltrack in Stanmer woods and downs rides, but we’ve also ahd trips to Afan, cannock and Glentress where he has no trouble getting round the red trails. He’s 5’2″ light and skinny.

So wondering what bike to get him next. Budget can be up to about £1500. I’ll be able to sell the Islabike for £500/£600 and considering how much we ride, the enjoyment we get from riding together and the amount my own bike cost I don’t mind spending this on him.

One requirement he has is a 1x setup. A lot of the bikes at this price still have 2x or 3x but I assume it would be easy enough to convert.

Candidates so far are

Canyon Grand Canyon 7.9 or 8.9
    Orange Crush S
    Orange CLockwork 120
    Whyte 905

The Canyon’s are a great spec and come in under budget. They’re also light coming in under 11kg but would need to be converted to 1x. Also they only have about 100mm front travel which may not be an issue for such a light rider. After all his Islabike only has about that, and he has no problem.

The Orange Crush has 140mm travel but is heavier by almost 2kg than the Canyon, but its obviously getting great reviews.

The Whyte is also hardcore and getting good reviews and is a bit lighter than the Orange. It gets great reviews also but its expensive.

The Clockwork sits somewhere between the Canyon and Crush.

So based on the considerations for a rider his size which of thse should we get. Or there any other bikes out there that would be suitable?

Thanks

boobs

I have my sons medium BMC Shiver that he has out grown if you are interested, absolutely nowhere near £1500, mail if interested?

brassneck

Whyte 806? Great geo, aimed at shorter riders, about a grand cheaper than 905. Think it’s a double, but easily converted (I wouldn’t but dare say he’s able to make better use of it on the hills than me!).

Love my 29CS. When i have to but another boys bike (middle boy is on the cusp of x small 26/27.5) it’ll be a 603 most likely (with a possible swap to 1x also)

blakec
    Free Member

Bird zero tr nx. Wife is 5’2 and fits nicely n the xs. Worth a day trip up to swinley for a test ride.

http://www.birdmtb.com

UnmixedMaster

Great advice guys, thanks. More research to do. The Bird looks sweet also that WHyte 806.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Holy shit! I had a grifter at that age.
    Good on you for encouraging him.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I was 14 when I got the old Orange Clockwork, back when they were steel and had the backward facing V-brakes…. The P7 is within price range, steel is real etc…. 😀

Cheers, Steve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Need advice on a new bike for my 12 year old.’ is closed to new replies.