Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Need a new rear light.
  • renton
    Free Member

I currently have a smart lunar r2 but it has stopped working so need a new rear light.

I do a lot of riding on dark country lanes so need a good/bright rear light!

what can you recommend that isnt going to break the bank ?

cheers

Steve

richpips
    Free Member
    RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Moon Shield, I’ve got two.

You need two for when one breaks down.

They are bright lights but the first light breaking didn’t stop me buying a second though.

They’re good because the rubber mounting strap goes anywhere, they’re possibly too bright and they’re USB chargeable.

The weak point is the rubber bung for the USB port. Moisture will get in but I had been using my first light without mud guards so the water was being thrown directly up onto its underside which is where the USB port is located. The light basically needs this port to be behind a more watertight screw-on lid or something.
    The charge lasts about a couple of hours. Enough for two days worth of commutes in my case but can easily be charged at work.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Moon Shield here as well. Valid point re the USB port, but mine’s lasted very well through the last year and that was more than wet enough!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Blackburn Mars 4.0

I have one on the back of all my bikes, stupidly bright with side LED’s

drlex
    Free Member

Another vote for the shield here. Bung went A.W.O.L. within a month; tried electrical tape, but now use a blu-tac “plug”.
    Bought a few Planet-X ersatz smarts @ £2.50 per (thanks, brant) and they’re a great back-up.

richpips
    Free Member

They’re good because the rubber mounting strap goes anywhere, they’re possibly too bright and they’re USB chargeable.

The weak point is the rubber bung for the USB port. Moisture will get in but I had been using my first light without mud guards so the water was being thrown directly up onto its underside which is where the USB port is located. The light basically needs this port to be behind a more watertight screw-on lid or something.
    The charge lasts about a couple of hours. Enough for two days worth of commutes in my case but can easily be charged at work.

Those USB covers ports are a bit naff granted, but I rode 34 hours the other week with mine last week, and it lashed down for most of that time. They still work fine.

No way they are too bright.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Here you go,phaart lights, a fiver, and as good as anything

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/lights

They are fantastic for the money,equally as good as my half watt smart one.

jamiep
    Free Member

houndlegs – Member
    Here you go,phaart lights, a fiver, and as good as anything

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/lights

They are fantastic for the money,equally as good as my half watt smart one.

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

On-one’s dual 0.5 watt copies of Smart’s are excellent for the (very little) money. Very, very nearly as bright. I went back and stocked up on a few more. Their copy of the Smart R1 isn’t as good/bright and has a limited cycle of the LEDs

cardo

I’m using a Lezyne Femto .. really nice discreet and powerful light only £13

Pooley
    Free Member

I commute, and always have a couple of rears, most are good. However, I do recommend a ‘Bones’ led rear from On-one to attach to your helmet, colleagues remark how well they can see me. Cheap as, good service too.

teasel
    Free Member

I recently purchased an Exposure Flare; quite bright. Well made bit of kit with reasonable side visibilty. The flash mode is rather nice as it doesn’t fully turn-off, just dims the beam a bit and pulses the high output setting a couple of times a second.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I’ve got an Exposure Flare, Moon Shield 60 and Cateye ld610. Moon wins hands down closely followed by the Cateye. Had reliability problems with the Flare (won’t stay on flash mode) and eats batteries.

bigG
    Free Member

Hope district? Can be seen from orbit.

qu1nt
    Free Member

I’ve had a Moon Sport for a few weeks & it’s superb. Very bright, long lasting & rechargeable too

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Where’s it going to mount ?

richpips
    Free Member

You want too bright. http://store.dinottelighting.com/300r-red-taillight-with-built-in-battery-p111.aspx

I’ve got the 140 lumen version and that is bright.

renton
    Free Member

dales rider, going to mount on the seatpost at the bottom as its a dropper post.

Are the ones with lasers built it legal??

georgeh94
    Free Member

What about this? 500 lumen for £33. The only thing is the battery’s are not built into the light, also I’m not sure if it includes a battery pack
    http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/bikehead-lights/rear-lights.html

renton
    Free Member

out of stock mate

georgeh94
    Free Member

Sorry mate didn’t see that. Had a few beers

mrphil
    Free Member

Moon here aswell.

Work commute is a dark lane, flashing mode in the day and constant at night on 1st press

Only use the 60 lumen on foggy days.

Bottom ligjt is a single LED Cateye rechargable that I lost in Delamere 🙁

Dales_rider
    Free Member

dales rider, going to mount on the seatpost at the bottom as its a dropper post.

Are the ones with lasers built it legal??

Had many a light over the years and my favourite at the moment is the Lezyne Mico Drive it is easy to take on off doesnt use much leccy and is bright, also USB charger. I also use a knog clipped somewhere on my clothes, or a Cateye which I mount on a seat stay.

Technicaly LEDs are illegal as the law mentions something about a Filament lamp, which applies to all vehicles. So some modern cars break the law. As for flashing that is legal now

fourbanger
    Free Member

Moon Commet just replaced waterlogged light. So far, so good.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Technicaly LEDs are illegal as the law mentions something about a Filament lamp, which applies to all vehicles. So some modern cars break the law. As for flashing that is legal now

I’m going to say that’s balls.

mrphil
    Free Member

Knog Bloomers USB’s are also a good light.

Great if your light gets covered in mud etc.

Waderider
    Free Member

I say Moon Shield also. Mine is on its second winter of pretty heavy use. Battery lasts longer than (someone) mentioned above, I regularly go over 4 hours use on mine. I think it is meant to last 5 1/2 hours.

Incidently, I have a Moon X300 as my helmet light. It is outstanding also.

faz083
    Free Member

out of stock mate

It’s not!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member

I’m going to say that’s balls.

So back it up with something more intellectual then !

Or just in case you cant extracts from the regs

Pedal cycle

Type of lamp Schedule Exceptions

Rear position lamp Schedule 10: Part I None.

Filament lamps14.—(1) Where a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 or any trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985 is equipped with any lamp of a type that is required by any Schedule to these Regulations to be marked with an approval mark, no filament lamp other than a filament lamp referred to in the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations in–
    (a)regulation 4 and Schedule 2, items 2 or 2A, 8, 20, 37 or 37A; or
    (b)regulation 5 and Schedule 4, item 18,
    shall be fitted to any such lamp.
    (2) Where any pedal cycle manufactured on or after 1st October 1990 is equipped with any lamp that is required by any Schedule to these Regulations to be marked with a British Standard mark, no filament lamp other than a filament lamp marked with the marking indicated in the British Standard specification for Filament Lamps for Cycles published by the British Standards Institution under the reference 6873: 1988 namely “B.S. 6873” shall be fitted to any such lamp.

Sum
    Free Member

Dales, which version of the RVLR are you quoting. Are you quoting the original 1989 version or its subsequent amendments?

There’s a good summary here. According to the summary the 1994 amendment of the RVLR removed the filament bulb design restrictions, which is just as well as I’ve a couple of LED lights that have BS6102 stamped on them.

Edit: I found The Road Vehicles Lighting (Amendment) Regulations 1994:-

Filament lamps on pedal cycles

8. Paragraph (2) of regulation 14 shall be omitted.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Sum – Member

Dales, which version of the RVLR are you quoting. Are you quoting the original 1989 version or its subsequent amendments?
    So 2003 amendment seems to have sorted out the filament lamp, not noticed that. Mind that’s the problem with legislation easy to miss the important bits.
    That aside it would seem that if you were involved in an accident/incident you would have some contributory negligence, unless your lights met the 1989 regs and all subsequent amendments.
    So check your lights and if they are not stamped BS 6102-3 they are illegal 😀
    Also interestingley your batteries need to last 10 hours 🙁

fourbanger
    Free Member

Apology accepted.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all just ordered a moon !!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Need a new rear light.’ is closed to new replies.