Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Need a new bottom bracket CK or Hope?
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

Like the idea of CK grease injection but Hope is cheaper and should be able to replace the bearings.

pnik

My hope bb is on 3rd bike, not changed the bearings yet., in fact done nothing bar removed and screwed into the next one, may not have done thousands of miles but certainly done quite a few, must be 4 or 5 years old and gone through some sh!t lots of weekend riding, south and north downs occasional trips to dartmoor, fod etc.
    Can’t fault it. Isn’t the ceramic one either. Fit and forget. No experience of CK, wanted hope and its less expensive, got through a few XT ones and a phill woods set of bearings before the hope.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Thanks, did have a hope one before but the bike it was on got stolen. Have been looking at Saint and XTR too but not sure how much better they’ll be than xt level.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My BB’ s used to last weeks until I realised that plastic bit with O rings on wasn’t packaging 😯

Now on Hope, with the (metal) thing with O rings installed inside the bike not inside my tool box!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope lasting for ages, one of the features advertised with xtr was lighter seals for…. Less sealing maybe?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Phil Wood should also be on the list too.

Better than Hope, cheaper than King

mudmonster
    Free Member

Ok xtr are out then, Phil Wood looks good though. Think I’ll probably go with Hope though. Thanks

ratherbeintobago

Is the Pace one any good? Like CK it can be re-greased…

creamegg
    Free Member

My hope ceramic bb is still buttery smooth after 4 years constant abuse in uk conditions, 2-4 times a week. Not even looked at them or considered greasing them up until the other day when I thought I may as well as the cranks were off. Can’t comment on the other brands, but if and when they go, or I need bb for another bike I’ll be getting hope again.

mudmonster
    Free Member
    ratherbeintobago

Interesting thread, that. Anyone know if things have changed in the last three years?

Northwind

XTR is pretty much the same as XT in use.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my gusset ext24 has done over 7000km (yes, seven, thousand), the bearings are still in great condition. The grease is still clear, and there’s no sign of rust (cheapo non-stainless bearings).

the design of the seals/baffles is brilliant, much better than the hope on my hardtail.

they’re £25.

Northwind

I’ve not had quite such good results from Gusset, bit less lifespan but they’ve still been ace for me- good life, you can do interim services, and unlike Hope it’s a standard bearing so very cheap when it does eventually need new bearings.

noltae
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve just been lucky but Shimano XT and Saint have both been bomb proof in my experience – a ton of super muddy gravelly wet riding coupled with a lot of jet washing – always continue to run smooth … I bought a used 10/10 condition Hope I’ve yet to fit – I don’t personally see the value in expensive BB’s unless one just wants high end everything – which is fair enough ..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Need a new bottom bracket CK or Hope?’ is closed to new replies.