Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • need a fast, slotty drop-out 700c machine, suggestions?
  • lardman
    Free Member

I want to replace my Spesh SIrrus commuter machine, with something else.

I need something stiffer, as i’m a bit ‘big’ and the frame flexes quite a bit when i hammer it.
    I want it to run a alfine out back, and would prefer slotted drop-outs. Although would consider concentric BB if they are reliable.

Ali or Carbon, and preferably not too sit-up-and-beg.
    Something longish but not too high. I have the arms of a baboon, and legs of a hobbit.
    It will do some road/country miles, but mostly be a commuter.

So, if a Pompetamine was made in Alu/carbon that would be just right i reckon.
    Any suggestions, as i dont seem to be able to find anything that fits this bill.

Frameset only, as i have wheels/700c ‘project two disc fork’ to go on it.

whaddayareckon????

lardman
    Free Member

oh, and it’s going to have to be Canti back brake…. or disc.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

So, if a Pompetamine was made in Alu/carbon that would be just right i reckon.
    Any suggestions, as i dont seem to be able to find anything that fits this bill.

If you find it, let me know – considering going custon alu or titanium to get a lighter equiv. to my Pometamine frame, with the geometry slightly tweaked.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Pick the right cog sizes and you can run a vertical dropout frame without a tensioner. It’s not hard and any LBS shoul be able to do that.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Pick the right cog sizes and you can run a vertical dropout frame without a tensioner. It’s not hard and any LBS shoul be able to do that.

Taking that a step further (and because it going to cost a bomb anyway), my thinking is to go vertical drop out and EBB if I go custom, so I can just swing the rear wheel in and out without having to retention the chain in the event of a rear flat.

lardman
    Free Member

bm0p700f

– true enough. I just wanted as little faff and inflexibility as possible. Maybe worth considering tho’

Cheers.

bristolbiker

– it’s not the weight i’m concerned about, it’s just that i dont really like noodley feeling steel frames.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Buy the non slotty frame you want and use a tensioner? They look poopy but work a treat ime.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’m by no means big, but I wouldn’t describe a Pompetamine as “noodly” – anything but infact, to the point of feeling dead. This is fine at 6:30 in the morning when you just want a tank to steam-roller through everything on the way to work but it really is the most lumpen and uninspiring bike I’ve ever had – I have a very ‘love-hate’ relationship with it…..

lardman
    Free Member

I reckon its just that i have never really liked steel bikes. I find other materials just a bit more “direct’ without being overly harsh.

Uninspiring is the word i would use for every steel bike i have owned/tried.

Sam

Can’t help much except to say a concentric bb is not going to help much in tensioning the chain.

lardman
    Free Member

OK, thanks Sam. Are they not really up to much then? It’s obviously the more complicated solution, and therefore likely the most inferior.

pinches
    Free Member

he’s being pedantic, all standard BBs are concentric, what you want is an eccentric BB.

lardman
    Free Member

AH yes….. that’ll be the one i was meaning.
    I am happy to stand corrected and to be corrected by a pedant too! After all i would not be lurking on this forum if pedantry wound me up too easily.

Thanks Pinches. Thanks Sam.

brant
    Free Member

456 carbon with horizontal dropouts and road wheels 🙂

Sam

Yes – sorry for the pedantry. Good eccentric bottom brackets work very well, and IMO are much simpler in use than a horizontal dropout when used with disc brakes. It’s why I use them on my disc frames, though they are all steel so probably not of interest.

lardman
    Free Member

Edit: Typing on phones sucks……

lardman
    Free Member

Well that does look quite interesting Brant. I will check the dimensions, but I’m not sure about MTB geometry on the road machine. I don’t know what difference if any I’ll notice as I have only really had mountain bikes. I’ll be running a standard mtb stem and bars.

With a 700c specific fork I reckon the head angle will sharpen up a bit, which would be a good thing in my book.

Any concerns getting the 700c rear into the frame comfortably? And how do the replacement drop-outs work? Is the disc mount on the dropout plate?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘need a fast, slotty drop-out 700c machine, suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.