Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Need a circular saw. Nominations please…
  • takisawa2

Need to fit new worktops in the kitchen. Have used a hand saw in past but thinking its an excuse to get a power tool… 🙂
    Recomendations…corded, battery. ? Not needing £100’s worth of pro level kit to sit in garage so cheaper end please…

wwaswas

you need a gurt big Router for worktops.

you’ll get a lot of chipping with most cheap saw/blade combos.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Corded Hitachi with a seven and a quarter inch blade.

You’ll get one for a wonner.

ski
    Free Member

If its just for a one off job takisawa2, what about hiring one?

midlifecrashes

Measure four or five times, then buy the worktop from a B&Q with a cutting service or preferably a good timber merchant who will cut it for you.

nickjb
    Free Member

Jigsaw is the tool of choice for me. Ideal for cutting out the sink hole, etc and for cutting to length rough cut with a jigsaw then finish with a router.

toys19
    Free Member

Get a chippy in, doing worktops well is a skill not a one off, badly fitted worktops ruin the whole job.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If he’s just cutting worktops to length it’s not a big job. Even cutting a hob or sink aperture is no problem, just plunge the circular saw (without riving knife) and finish off with a panel saw. Carpentry isn’t a mysterious black art.

Just measure correctly.

takisawa2

Cheers. Yes, have to cut sink hole but have a jigsaw for that. Might just cut by hand & finish with my router. All straight cuts, no fancy joins to do. Then again, I really should have a circular saw shouldn’t I…shouldn’t I…
    🙂

toys19
    Free Member

If he’s just cutting worktops to length it’s not a big job. Even cutting a hob or sink aperture is no problem, just plunge the circular saw (without riving knife) and finish off with a panel saw. Carpentry isn’t a mysterious black art.

Ya ya we all know that, I was thinking for the joins. You can make good straight cuts with a jigsaw or even a hand saw if its for a hob/sink.

matt_outandabout

Router and jig for a worktop – it is as easy as making beans on toast. The jig has all the instructions. If you are local to central Scotland you can borrow mine.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

This for the money is superb, bought one for cutting up fence posts and sleepers for a one off job, thinking it would be rubbish and not last. Still going well after a lot of abuse.

Supplied blade is fine for rough work, but don’t use it on a worktop!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member
    supremebean
    Free Member

if you cut worktops with a circular saw make sure you cut it upside down for a clean edge otherwise it will chip to death. a straight edge clamped to the surface and run the saw up it, and measure a few times first allowing for the space between the edge of the baseplate on the saw and the blade.

grantway
    Free Member

Are you just cutting to length and using the metal jointing strip
    if so any circular saw would do But turn the worktop over as
    it will brake on the face side

Mugboo

Keep your eye on Lidl/aldi £30!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t waste your money on a cheap underpowered and potentially dangerous circular saw.

Shop around for a Hitachi C7 circular saw like this one :

http://www.daviesdiyonline.co.uk/hitachi-circular-saw-60mm-cut-185mm-blade-240110-volt-hitc7sb2-1200-p.asp

And btw, they’re cheap because of the sheer quantity Hitachi knock out of them. They are ime by far the most common circular saw on site, well in London anyway.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ wot the grumpy chippy said 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

If you like your bodily parts then stay away from the cheap stuff
    The circular saw is not a toy and is a tool i treat with much respect.

flow
    Free Member

If joining the worktops you need a router, a jig and lots of practice.

Joining strips look nasty and are unhygienic.

I have the 110 version of this Its lasted well.

takisawa2

Thanks again. No joints to do. Just straight cuts. Will look into the Hitachi one. And ditto steering clear of cheap stuff.

alpin
    Free Member

i was going to mention the makita…. nice bit of kit. just don’t leave it out of site if you’re ever on a job around Aveley… thieving scum.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Need a circular saw. Nominations please…’ is closed to new replies.