Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Neck brace for enduro?
  • lewymtb
    Free Member

It seems that neck braces are primarily targeted at DH riders, apart from motor sports of course. Does anyone use one for Enduro or have a view on it?. My view is you have as good a chance of hurting your neck if you fall badly or awkwardly on a typical decent as opposed to rocketing down hilI and having a spill.
    I know that momentum on a down hill run can obviously have a potentially more dangerous outcome.
    There is clearly a major advantage to them no matter what, however Is a neck brace an obstruction when your pedaling uphill or would it matter.

It would be good to hear what people think about it or if anyone out there not of a DH background that uses one.

legend
    Free Member

Do you use a Camelbak, like the vast majority, when doing enduros? Can’t imagine a Leatt would work too well with a pack on? Between stages would be a pain too considering that Leatt warn against using then with a fullfacer on.

Other than that, no reason not to

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Interesting Blog from Si Patton
    Si Patton’s Blog on Neck Braces (He also sells them) Worth a full read but this part needs pulling out for those that wont read the link.

WARNING: PLEASE NEVER WEAR YOUR NECK BRACE WITHOUT YOUR HELMET.
    Now I know that may sound really obvious, what I am talking about is wearing it before or after the race. The medics have warned me that if you ever fell or tripped over (especially backwards) whilst wearing the brace you could be really f*&ked (medical term). As the brace would almost act as a pivot point on your neck and the added leverage and weight of your head and the force of the fall could damage your spinal cord and kill you or put you in a wheel chair. Now imagine of your lid was undone or not correctly attached during a crash? Helmet flies off and you gambole down the hill with your neck brace contacting the floor and your head slapping around in several directions, great!

I don’t own one and have not used one. Know lots who do in DH. From reading this and some other stuff it’s not going to be good without a FF on. Also that means if your doing Enduro with 2 lids then you will need to carry this too.

jam-bo

As above, unless your wearing a full face they can do more harm than good.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Neck brace for enduro?’ is closed to new replies.