Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • nearly three years Calibre Bossnut / no remorse?
  • andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Go Outdoors / Calibre launched 2015 the award winning Bossnut full suspension bike:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/calibre-bossnut-the-1000-full-sus-weve-been-waiting-for-44171/

Means this 1 k trail bike is around now for nearly three years?
    The first version of the Bossnut had some issue with certain tires touching the frame. That’s fixed.

But there are many, many Bossnut V1 and V2 bikes out in the field now.
    Question:
    Are the early Bossnut bikes still alive? How is the “long term” (3 years!?) quality of the bike? Is the frame holding up, are the pivot bearings o.k., are the wheel sets still alive?
    Question not about GoOutdoors warranty or service quality. Also the rear tire issue of the early bikes is known.

Question more: is it possible to build a full suspension trail bike for 1 k which holds up for 2 or 3 years serious mountain bike use?
    2014 or 2015: many doubts about it.
    This is a question for Bossnut owners!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

ping, ping, ping…

no Bossnut V1 bikers around?
    All totally happy?
    Nothing broke down yet?
    😯

first version of the Bossnut had some issue with certain tires touching the frame. That’s fixed.

that we know.
    Other issues?

prawny

I think the frame rub issue was pretty much it, I saw pictures of another one that was completely borked but seems to be a one off.

Decent bikes, you don’t see many come up for sale, one on Facebook at the mo, he wants about £700 for it but the spec is decent.

Mugboo

I can’t help but agree that it’s a question worth asking, in a world where lots of people are spending £3000-5000 on bikes.

cookeaa

in a world where lots of people are spending £3000-5000 on bikes.

But are they? Perhaps amongst the IT professionals of STW £3k+ bikes are the norm, but I think for the majority of, still reasonably ‘serious cyclists’ will be looking for good value bikes…

Calibre seem to have recognised that VFM sells, ten years earlier boardman were flogging decent spec’ ~£1k MTBs to get people to part with their C2W voucher…

wzzzz
    Free Member

They sold these by the truck load!

Remember you couldn’t buy one for love nor money at one point.

Try and find a used one for sale, even a knackered one. Theres none!

People must be happy with them to keep them / maybe upgraded the components over time.

greigb
    Free Member

If Calibre ever made a 160mm enduro bike, for I’d imagine a few hundred quid more, I’d be all over that. Bossnut is a bit too trail for me unfortunately, hope the designers are reading this. 😉

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Bossnut is a bit too trail for me unfortunately, hope the designers are reading this.

Greigb bloke – very good point. Below a link – mbr interview with Mike Sanderson, the designer of the Bossnut:

Interview with designer of the Calibre Bossnut and Beastnut

Sounds he is a guy who likes to know what the bikers need and want.
    No idea if he – and Caliber bikes – has plans for a 160 mm bike. But Calibre bikes had already the limited BEASTNUT in sale. Was more or less the Bossnut with dropper post and 140 mm fork.
    250 pieces were manufactured? Sold in a very,very short time…
    Means they have this “test” bike projects going. Not a bad idea.

Chances that Mike Sanderson is reading “this”.
    Very possible!

vincienup
    Free Member

From time in the Fatbike-sphere, the Calibre Dune quickly ate On One’s lunch being often half the price, despite horrible specification by comparison.

People have indeed thrown large amounts of money over time at these, often ending up with a frame dripping in Hope or similar, usually walking away only when the frame snaps or they make a big jump to something carbon or similarly expensive and niche and only want a single bike.

TBH, based on the Dune success story, if I was Shimano or SRAM I’d be quite concerned about where the low end of the OE market might be going, as it was pretty well off their roadmap.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I was Shimano or SRAM I’d be quite concerned about where the low end of the OE market might be going, as it was pretty well off their roadmap.

interesting. Guess some bike brands will be concerned. But don’t you think Shimano or Sram aren’t able to go this route as well?

Bossnut V2: many Shimano parts and Sram fork (RockShox)
    Don’t you think Shimano and Sram aren’t happy to supply parts not only for the 3 k or 5 k bike – but also for a 1 k bike?

IdleJon

But are they? Perhaps amongst the IT professionals of STW £3k+ bikes are the norm, but I think for the majority of, still reasonably ‘serious cyclists’ will be looking for good value bikes…

Yes – it depends on how much you use the bike not how much you earn. Around here, where wages are far lower than the national average, you’ll bump into lots of regular riders riding expensive bikes.

If I’m on my Boardman Team FS (£1k) I’ll probably be on the cheapest bike by far in any local group I ride with.

This crap about IT professionals is cliched and boring.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m sure Shimano would be delighted by the success of The Bossnut, these sort of bikes were made for their Deore line and it’s great for buyers too because the Deore stuff is great.

I’m really glad to see the likes of the Bossnut – in the last few years we’ve seen bikes go up and up in price, admittedly with new things like droppers but mainstream mid-range FS starts at £3k these days when it used to top out there. I think Go Outoodrs have found a nice gap in the market at the entry level and the likes of Bird going for the middle with well specced bikes for the price of a frame with some makers because they’re not jumping on the carbon bandwagon and YT going for the higher end with Carbon bikes for half the price of the fancy brands like SC.

The crazy seems to have slowed.

hodgynd
    Free Member

OP..do you work for the company ..?
    Seems like a bit of market research on your part 😆

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

their Deore line and it’s great for buyers too because the Deore stuff is great

Yes.

And air forks:
    only recently learned that Fox has an air fork developed for the lower budget price segment as well: Racing Shox 34 Float Rhythm
    Sells right now for 199 Euros…(example: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fox-Racing-Shox/34-Float-29-130-Grip-Rhythm-51-Boost-Suspension-Fork-2017-OEM-p61616/ )
    Since 2016 on the market? https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/forks-suspension/fox-releases-new-rhythm-budget-trail-fork.html

Means good news for us bikers!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

hodgynd-bloke:

OP..do you work for the company ..?
    Seems like a bit of market research on your part

Would be great to work for a mountain bike company (I hope/think at least). But no.
    But guess we bikers could push (or help) certain brands into a direction we think is good for us. No idea so how to collect the opinions and how to forward the information to these companies.

Bossnut V1 / V2: if the bike is nearly three years around and if we believe into this thread – no major problems so far…:

then I would say – yes a 1 k full suspension trail bike is possible.
    And more brands should try to go this direction as well?

hodgynd
    Free Member

It would be great to think so ..

km79
    Free Member

Decathlon was another brand who did this a few years ago, a decent entry level full sus that was quite capable for (I think) £750. It wasn’t that popular here in the UK but was in some other European countries. They also had a cheaper hardtail along the same lines which was more common here. They still do similar versions but they don’t look like they are on trend with current style/geometry.

lesshaste

not the same bike, but same end of the market here. Voodoo Bizango owner of around a year. Bought it lightly used for not a lot, thought I’d be replacing at least the wheels by now….. but I’ve given it a fair bit of use, 60 to 90 miles of SDW style xc most weeks plus a few days in the lakes and it just keeps going. I’ve retensioned the spokes on both wheels and changed the chainset,but it has essentially the same components it was sold with ie deore. I need to change the chain and cassette, but will now kill them off over the rest of the winter.
    I think this illustrates how reliable and sturdy? this type of simple bike can be. Maybe I just struck lucky?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

lesshaste bloke:

not the same bike, but same end of the market here. Voodoo Bizango owner of around a year.

great hint!
    🙂
    had a quick look at the voodoocycles web page:
    https://www.voodoocycles.com/mambo

Aluminum 27.5 Full-Suspension
    Currently in design, New Mambo coming soon!

Ha. They are designing a MAMBO full suspension bike!

Does anybody know anything about MAMBO?
    Maybe a bike like the Boardman full suspension ot the Bossnut?
    😯

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Aluminum 27.5 Full-Suspension
    Currently in design, New Mambo coming soon!

Ha. They are designing a MAMBO full suspension bike!

Found some information about the Mambo.
    No – will be “high end”.

johnnystorm

I’m fairly certain that the US & UK Voodoo bikes share little other than names and logos.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Johnnystorm bloke – thanks.
    That’s an explanation.

Mambo: no ‘long travel’ Boardman or so.

breadcrumb

It’s a shit name though. Boss Nut.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Just spotted this new Voodoo Canzo for £1000, 1x drivetrain, internal dropper routing and a 34mm Suntour Raidon 34Boost fork…and the full blacked out stealth look is bang on. The geometry looks better than the Bossnut for me as well with a shorter seattube.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-canzo-full-suspension-mens-mountain-bike-16-18-20-frames.

In fact the £1000 Canzo looks better to me than the model up the £1200 Zobop.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-zobop-full-suspension-mens-mountain-bike-16-18-20-frames

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Just spotted this new Voodoo Canzo for £1000, 1x drivetrain, internal dropper routing and a 34mm Suntour Raidon 34Boost fork…and the full blacked out stealth look is bang on.

Neat. Is this a new version of the “Canzo”?
    Older version: silver paint, around £800, bikeradar:

It may have ‘Black Magic’ tubing but the spooky thing about VooDoo’s Canzo is just how well it works on even the toughest trails. You might have to get your knife out for a bit of witch-doctoring first though.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Hated my boss nut , thought it was heavy and slow uphill
    Hated the wide bars , felt like I was on a horse
    Swapped it for a road bike after 6 months

In hindsight I was expecting it to climb like my 12Kg trek hard tail
    And ride like an xc bike which it isn’t

Mostly a roadie now so I was probably cutting back on mtb but the boss nut definitely pushed me in that direction

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Flashpaul-bloke,

this sounds quite sad!

Watch out for the lorries on the roads so – and enjoy biking!

flashpaul
    Free Member

@andreasrhoen , yes it is sad!
    I’ve even got slicks on my hard tail and ride it on the roads at the moment.

Thinking about the trails though and I’m a lot fitter after loads of road riding so it’s not all bad

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

…this forum is really great.

All these bits of information, interesting stories – and humor!

Biking fun. Biking tragedy.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Yes – it depends on how much you use the bike not how much you earn. Around here, where wages are far lower than the national average, you’ll bump into lots of regular riders riding expensive bikes.

If I’m on my Boardman Team FS (£1k) I’ll probably be on the cheapest bike by far in any local group I ride with.

This crap about IT professionals is cliched and boring

How do you like the Boardman Team FS. I’m currently STILL trying to decide between that and the Bossnut. I have been to see the Bossnut and have ordered the Team FS into my local Halfords to try it for size. I need to make a decision and order one this weekend. I doubt I will get the BC discount on the Boardman as it currently has £100 off at £900. GO Outdoors however are going to honour 15% discount from the Bossnut they had on recently as they didn’t have it in my size when the deal was running so can get a Bossnut for £850

40mpg

I bought a giant trance X4 in 2010 for just under a grand. Upgraded with high end second hand parts as stuff wore out ad ended up with a cracking trail / light endure bike.

Only just sold it on to the trainee at work who’s getting into mtb.

In fact most of my bikes start of as £1000 ish purchases based on a decent frame and get upgraded. So this is definitely the market I’m in.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I bought a giant trance X4 in 2010 for just under a grand. Upgraded with high end second hand parts as stuff wore out ad ended up with a cracking trail / light endure bike.

Only just sold it on to the trainee at work who’s getting into mtb.

In fact most of my bikes start of as £1000 ish purchases based on a decent frame and get upgraded. So this is definitely the market I’m in.

What frame would you go for out of these two

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bossnut-v2-mountain-bike-p403001
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-team-full-suspension-27-5-16-18-20-frames

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a Boardman Pro FS for about 15 months. It’s a superb bike. I got it for £1084 with various discounts and rode it for six weeks before the first penny on the 0% finance was taken!!!

I have had to replace wheels, complete drivetrain, chainset, handlebars all due to damage….
    Dropper post on. It needs a fork and shock service soon but I regularly consider getting something new and shiney but this is just such a fun and fast ride there’s no point for another year! It’s done BPW/FoD mini DH and a 24 hour XC race. Can’t argue with that versatility!

40mpg

What frame would you go for out of these two

Really not much to choose between, both look pretty good and similar level kit.

The bossnut is a bit slacker so may be more fun / forgiving on steep descents, depends way you’ll use it for.

As frame and shock are comparable, other than the bossnut being a bit slacker, I’d choose on SRAM v Shimano preference. And favourite colour.

IdleJon

How do you like the Boardman Team FS. I’m currently STILL trying to decide between that and the Bossnut. I have been to see the Bossnut and have ordered the Team FS into my local Halfords to try it for size. I need to make a decision and order one this weekend. I doubt I will get the BC discount on the Boardman as it currently has £100 off at £900. GO Outdoors however are going to honour 15% discount from the Bossnut they had on recently as they didn’t have it in my size when the deal was running so can get a Bossnut for £850

It’s very good. I reckon it would be a good bike at twice the price because the geometry etc is right (with a few changes in components). Halfords used to stack discounts so potentially you may be able to get it for £820?

The brakes on mine were wooden and pretty poor. These were changed for a spare set of Deores once I’d worn the pads out. The grips were horrible and changed fairly quickly, and the tyres were swapped to a set I prefer. The wheels got swapped for a cheap set of Fulcrums once they started to need some servicing. The Fulcrums cost me £120 (iirc) and saved a whole kilo in weight. If I spent a little more money on changing things like the stem, bars, seat post etc, the weight would plummet. They are all heavy. And I would quite happily put a more expensive fork and shock on there because the frame design is sound.

To give an idea of how good the bike is – I have an Intense Recluse which is an awesome bike and I am love with it(!) but I am still using the Boardman when the weather is bad or if I’m riding in the local sludge.

The biggest problem with the bike is the fact it is sold through Halfords. If it was a few hundred pounds more expensive and sold through On One or wherever it would get rave reviews. I have a feeling that the same could be said of the Bossnut.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I doubt I will get the BC discount on the Boardman as it currently has £100 off at £900. GO Outdoors however are going to honour 15% discount from the Bossnut they had on recently as they didn’t have it in my size when the deal was running so can get a Bossnut for £850

in other words: there will be no better “deal”. £900 or £850 is just great.
    These bikes are very similar. Maybe base also your decision where you think the service and warranty will be better. Quality of pre-assembly is an other issue.

You will need also some tools sooner or later – like a shock air pump, small (low lorque) torque wrench and stuff like this. Means you will need also a budget for those.

pivot bearing / suspension bearing kit: no matter which bike you buy. These bearings are sensitive to dirt and no matter how you pamper these – they will need to get replaced sooner or later.
    Boardman has a service kit for those bearings – Calibre bikes: I don’t know.
    Normally these bearings are “standard” bearings anyway. Means better to source them differently. But these details i don’t know.

One idea for this thread: to find out if these neat low cost bikes make a lot of trouble – or not.
    Response – so far: not a lot of trouble?

Maybe possible to make a very small test ride.
    When you fall in love with one of the bikes: then go for it!
    Which bike feels better for you?

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a Boardman Pro FS for about 15 months. It’s a superb bike. I got it for £1084 with various discounts and rode it for six weeks before the first penny on the 0% finance was taken!!!

I have had to replace wheels, complete drivetrain, chainset, handlebars all due to damage….
    Dropper post on. It needs a fork and shock service soon but I regularly consider getting something new and shiney but this is just such a fun and fast ride there’s no point for another year! It’s done BPW/FoD mini DH and a 24 hour XC race. Can’t argue with that versatility!

It’s very good. I reckon it would be a good bike at twice the price because the geometry etc is right (with a few changes in components). Halfords used to stack discounts so potentially you may be able to get it for £820?

The brakes on mine were wooden and pretty poor. These were changed for a spare set of Deores once I’d worn the pads out. The grips were horrible and changed fairly quickly, and the tyres were swapped to a set I prefer. The wheels got swapped for a cheap set of Fulcrums once they started to need some servicing. The Fulcrums cost me £120 (iirc) and saved a whole kilo in weight. If I spent a little more money on changing things like the stem, bars, seat post etc, the weight would plummet. They are all heavy. And I would quite happily put a more expensive fork and shock on there because the frame design is sound.

To give an idea of how good the bike is – I have an Intense Recluse which is an awesome bike and I am love with it(!) but I am still using the Boardman when the weather is bad or if I’m riding in the local sludge.

The biggest problem with the bike is the fact it is sold through Halfords. If it was a few hundred pounds more expensive and sold through On One or wherever it would get rave reviews. I have a feeling that the same could be said of the Bossnut.

Cheers Guys. I really wish I could make my mind up. One thing that put me off the bossnut slightly was this photo as I think the way the cables are run makes it look untidy. Maybe that’s the spark in me coming out

crazyjenkins01

My Bossnut is just over 12months old and I cant fault it (for what I do!).
    I mainly ride trail centres with a bit of off piste thrown in where I know where it is, and it holds up fine. Could be lighter and have spent a few £££s on tyres, tubeless, dropper and pedals. Have been severely tempted to go for the V2 if I had the space (cant get rid of V1, due to c2w) as it looks much nicer in the flesh.
    For the price I just cant seem to find anything ‘wrong’ with it.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

My Bossnut is just over 12months old and I cant fault it (for what I do!).
    I mainly ride trail centres with a bit of off piste thrown in where I know where it is, and it holds up fine. Could be lighter and have spent a few £££s on tyres, tubeless, dropper and pedals. Have been severely tempted to go for the V2 if I had the space (cant get rid of V1, due to c2w) as it looks much nicer in the flesh.
    For the price I just cant seem to find anything ‘wrong’ with it.

I am struggling to find many faults other than what I posted above. The issue is I can’t find any faults in the boardman either which isn’t helping my decision

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

frozenwhite-bloke:

put me off the bossnut slightly was this photo as I think the way the cables are run makes it look untidy. Maybe that’s the spark

Guess the Calibre guys and Boardman guys focused on getting a 1 k work horse designed. Means the focus is not making it look “Dubai”. And yes – you will find some quality issues on a 1 k full suspension bike. But when these quality issues only affect the “looks” and not the “biking” – then these Calibre guys and Boardman guys did a great Job – or?

According to this thread – so far: it appears that the 1 k full suspension bikes are not falling apart.
    So that’s the good news!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘nearly three years Calibre Bossnut / no remorse?’ is closed to new replies.