Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Nearly lost my nephew today.
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Nephew (13) has been down for a few days riding. He's been around Thrunton, Slaley and the fells and today Chopwell Woods.

His confidence took a knock a few months ago in a fairly large off (for him) that ended up with two buckled wheels, a bent fork and a fairly large gash on his leg.

He wanted to do the red run at Chopwell, so foolishly, as the foolhardy uncle, I agreed as long as he followed the first time and we went slowly.

Speed picked up a bit on the second bit, and a short drop (1/2foot) followed by another that can be jumped I landed and slowed, turned and in my peripheral vision saw him coming off. Turned and ran back to see if he was ok.

His bike was head on into a tree, he was still sat on it dazed, checked if he was OK, no but not silent and not screaming, so helped him up. His arm was hurting so did a squeeze your hand etc. All was good, he was a little shaken.

Then looked at where his bike was and realised that a felled tree and the planted tree had held the bike in a pincer like grip. If they hadn't been there it was a 4m or more drop into a stone filled gulley to the side.

Praise the biking gods that they looked down on me today. I need to go and sacrifice hiker now as a thankyou.

clubber
    Free Member

😯 eek…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Phew !! And RELAX 😯

My mate Dave got knocked off his bike on a road ride yesterday – guy drove off. Luckly he wasn't hurt or his bike – bush at side of the road caught him 😯

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Eeeek. Dunt sound like he's quite ready for that kind of trail – hard to guess with kids tho. Hope it has not put him off, and that the ticking off from his parents wasn't too severe!

Reminds me of a guy I worked with who took his nephew and niece "off trail" down from Snowdon. The lad lost his footing on scree and slid off a cliff, bouncing on ledges etc. He survived, was airlifted and recovered fully from his broken neck. I think it's easy to overestimate a kid's ability, but underestimate their toughness.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

*Awaits Tandem Jesus* 😉

Drac

Was his bike ok?

Xylene
    Free Member

Haven't had the ticking off yet. No doubt that will come when I drop him back home tonight.

Hopefully it will be reduced after fixing his brakes, giving him a nice gilette and a set of crud catchers I had spare.

Worst things are to come though, when he inventively tells the missus in the next hour or so when I pick her up, she will give me an ear full for days.

Xylene
    Free Member

Was his bike ok?

I think so. I thought initially the forks were a bit off, but looking a bit more carefully I think they are ok. Think he is getting new forks this weekend anyway.

clubber
    Free Member

A nice Gilette – isn't he a little young to start shaving? 🙂

I blame the bike you're riding – too quick…

Xylene
    Free Member

A nice Gilette – isn't he a little young to start shaving?

Can't spell today, a bit shaken.

tron
    Free Member

Pah. 13? He's probably doing backflips on the jumps down his local woods.

And boasting about how every time he goes out riding with his uncle, he has a daft stack to get a load of free kit 😆

I'd try following him – you tend to go very slowly your first time on a trail. If you know the trail reasonably well, your slow probably seems hard to keep up with.

br
    Free Member

tbh while I let my older kids wear what they want (although they've all got full face helmets, as well as piss-pots) and gloves; my 11 year old though does wear full moto gear and the under-armour.

Xylene
    Free Member

And boasting about how every time he goes out riding with his uncle, he has a daft stack to get a load of free kit

Unfortunately I had already given him the stuff, next time though I'll keep some back for emotional bribery.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Nearly lost my nephew today.’ is closed to new replies.