Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nearest Railway Station to Lee Quarry?
  • barca
    Free Member

The nearest I can find is Walsden (I think that was the place) which very handily is on the line out of Manchester Victoria. The ride to the quarry is about 6 miles I think. Any advice on the neaerst station and the niceness of the road ride to the quarry would be much appreciated. I’m planning a mid week day time assault.
    Thanks

thepodge
    Free Member

bacup road out of tod is a long slog of a hill, but then its down hill from the top. in my crazier youth i got 49.9mph on the bacup to tod side on knobbly tyres. that gives you some idea.

barca
    Free Member

Thanks for that Podge. Is it the nearest station? Also, is the riding at the quarry OK for a relatively new rider?
    He’s done a couple of Peak rides and coped OK if not prolifically. He gets a bit fazed on anything narrow, He kind of hits things full on and then bounces around a bit. That might have a lot to do with his pogo stick Tora fork though. I’d rather not see him go over a narrow ledge to his death if it can be avoided.

brant
    Free Member

I’d rather not see him go over a narrow ledge to his death if it can be avoided.

Probably best avoid the little rocky black bit then 🙂

barca
    Free Member

Oh dear 🙁 . Is it not the right place for him to be then? I’m getting a bit bored of the Peak District again and again. Any other trail centres we can get to from Manchester on the train. I know he’d enjoy Marin trail but it’s 3 train changes and even more hours to get there.

brant
    Free Member

Is it not the right place for him to be then?

Sorry – I didn’t mean to put you off. But the little black loop is quite exciting 🙂 and almost perilous in a couple of places 🙂

barca
    Free Member

Ah, is there “other” routes there that he can reasonably expect to survive? Its the brother in law. You can imagine the hell that would be my life if he gets hurt. He’s a good laugh but he’s a bit ‘precious’. Nobody on the other hand gives a stuff if I leave half my hide on the sharpest rock.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Adlington (Lancashire not Cheshire) is about 2km from the trails around Rivington Pike.

Paul

barca
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at that Paul, thank you.

sam42
    Free Member

rawtenstall on the east lancs railway…. but that only runs from heywood.. and with steam engines! and probably doesn’t count as an actual railway line, more like a big trainset.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nearest Railway Station to Lee Quarry?’ is closed to new replies.