Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Near Sheffiled AND Chesterfield recommend me…….
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

I’m over near Sheffiled AND Chesterfield tomoorow night and no one to show me any good routes 🙁

As it’s the Whinlatter Chahallenge next Sunday can you please recommend me a good training hill in the peaks but close to Sheffield & Chesterfield? ie long but not “too” steep to duplicate a lakes forest fire road climb, so I can spend a couple of hours after work (before I get the the hotel) going up and down it a few times

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Any one?

Si
    Free Member

Screaming mile over at Ladybower but think its currently trashed. Failing that the forestry climb up to either Lockerbrook or Winhill, also around ladybower. Or even just go climb winnats pass (road) from Castleton a few times.

paule
    Free Member

If you really just want a hill to climb rather than a route, then the old collapsed road next to winnatts pass might be good. If you want something a bit steeper, and properly off road, then the climb up to shatton edge radio mast would be good….nice training loop I guess. Start from Brough, follow the track southwards and complete the loop in an anti-clockwise direction (see this streetmap page ) Technically easier in the clockwise direction.

Tracey

Si

Is sceaming mile the one on the left after the war memorial and ends in the car park. If it is we went up it today and the first half has been resurfaced with loose chipings, they have made a right mess of what used to be a great up hill

Tracey

jimmy

John – are you talking offroad specifically, or just a climb to train on for fitness?

Where exactly are you going to be?

*racking brain*

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“Is sceaming mile the one on the left after the war memorial and ends in the car park. If it is we went up it today and the first half has been resurfaced with loose chipings, they have made a right mess of what used to be a great up hill”

that would be the one. been down it but not up it since it was fubared by the loggers.

was it possible to climb it on that loose gravel? Think we saw you outside the ladybower inn too, a yellow kona?

Tracey

Very hard on the loose gravel, yes we were outside at the end of the ride, Katies yellow Kona

Tracey

JohnClimber
    Free Member

John – are you talking offroad specifically, or just a climb to train on for fitness?

Where exactly are you going to be?

*racking brain*

I’m just after a long climb that replicated a forest fire road climb, any ideas or guides out riding tomorrow in the area?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

screaming mile has been ‘reinstated’

they put over 6ft deep stone on it to get it back to the level that it was!

pretty sure it’ll remain awful for a while yet

bonus is that motorbikes will soon be banned from it

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

and somewhere around baslow/curbar may fit your request http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=sk+260+731&countryCode=GB

nickhart
    Free Member

i’d second mrmichealwright for the baslow curbar connection. the problem you have is there are so many routes in the peaks that everyone loves but do as a loop.
    if you’re in ches-vegas then there are some nice little routes up through the woods to the right of the dronfield by-pass (main route to sheffield)they’re nice and repeatable if that’s your thing. if it’s fun you want then get your backside out to hope and then climb hope cross up to the top and then down jaggers. if you’ve still got light then turn right into edale and then up the road to the bridleway on the right ride that, if you can, to the top, turn left and do rushup edge. that’ll take you to the top of winnats. you can scoot down winnats into castleton and then roadie stylee back to hope or go round the top for the rocky (reet rocky) descent which is cavedale.
    or if you just want a smooth training ride for the old heart rate monitor ride the a57 to ladybower and back to sheff.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Quiet back road from Hathersage up to the gliding club

6km with 300m of ascent

Any good?

TinMan
    Free Member

I know it’s boring darkside, but the road hill up from Froggatt is excellent hill training. DO that 3 times and you’ll really know about it 😈

Tracey – I’ve seen that Kona in the Peak today, were you out to?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Quiet back road from Hathersage up to the gliding club

6km with 300m of ascent

Any good?

Spot on, ta

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Clicky here

Start where it says ‘Leadmill’ opposite the Plough pub and climb due west till you get to the gliders

You naturally have multiple options as the streetmap link above shows but I find this the best way up
    Coming down you can belt straight down to Grindleford to the east of Sir William Hill shown on the other clicky and max out your speed as long as your bottles up to it 🙂

When are you out?
    Im also kicking around the area this weekend but need to be back in the car by mid afternoon

sq225917
    Free Member

grindleford up to the gliding club, now that is steep, steepest road in the peak, FACT.

Tracey

Yes we were out on a Mothers day ride, yellow Kona is Katies
    Abigale was on a pink Giant Reign

Tracey

jimmy

grindleford up to the gliding club, now that is steep, steepest road in the peak, FACT.

huh?

Pook

how about that ride up to derwent edge from Ladybower? Smooth stuff but also off road so fun….

sq225917
    Free Member

Jimmy. bank top lane into sir william hill road. FACT as in, not a fact.. Obviously.

will
    Free Member

In White Peak, and too late now 😆 but…

Climb from Cromford mill to black rocks trig point. 1 mile of fire road climb, then 0.5 mile of steep technical stuff, Great climb!

TinMan
    Free Member

Ahh Tracey, I think you guys stopped at the Ladybower Inn about 2:30. We where just leaving. The pink one kind of sticks in the memory 😀

sherco
    Free Member

John……what route did you eventually do?

MrOvershoot

sherco – Member
    John……what route did you eventually do?

He’s only a little fella is our John, he probably got blown away in this wind 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Near Sheffiled AND Chesterfield recommend me…….’ is closed to new replies.