• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Near miss
  • yetidave
    Free Member

Bit of a rant ish. Cycling into town, bit of a descent, notice a wagon parked on the pavement/road ahead. I assess the conditions and feel that there is loads of space for me to pass parked vehicle with oncoming vehicles. Check over shoulder and there is one car a way back. Indicate and start to put myself in a position to pass w aggon. The car behind has now closed the gap and attempts an overtake. He realises that there’s not enough space for him to pass w aggon with oncoming vehicles and stops abruptly. Unfortunately he stops much faster than I can (road bike with a dampish road). I then run into the back of a now almost stationary car, much to the anger of the driver. Who just buggers off with a finger out the window. Who’s in the wrong,am concerned its me running into him?

andyl
    Free Member

Did the car overtake you and then brake before you had time to get a safe distance between you?

yetidave
    Free Member

That’s the way I saw it yes.

tenfoot

Doesn’t sound like your fault . Sounds like stupidity on the driver’s part.
    Any damage to you or the bike?

andyl
    Free Member

Did you get the reg? Sounds like their fault, dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

But it’s probably your word against theirs and if not injured and no damage then i’d count myself lucky and not waste time getting angry over it. Hopefully he will drive off a cliff next time.

yetidave
    Free Member

Thankfully neither. Managed to turn and plant a foot on his bumper. Nearly ran onto other side of road trying to avoid him. Scary moment.

brooess
    Free Member

From your description I can’t see how you could be at fault or even have avoided it.
    Sometimes, though, from the speed/style of someone’s driving you get a spidey sense they’re going to do the stupidest thing possible, and these days when that’s the case, I’ll sometimes pull over just to get them out and away from me. Same with being tailgated when I’m driving, just pull over and let them put someone else at risk.

Some people simply can’t judge driving properly.

yetidave
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Run and rerun this today and can’t see a way I could have avoided it, without just staying in bed this morning. Spider sences would be good,mine need to be honed a little for the road. No longer angry really, more concerned that if it had turned out different would the the fingers been pointing at me. No other witnesses as far as I was aware so his word against mine. Cheers folks.

singletrackmind

Our road clun ride captain ended up in the back seat of a car which did a similar thing , on a club run.
    Doing about 30 down a hill, railway bridge with single file traffic. Car overatkes, then hauls on brakes as car appears in bridge . 23C tyres = not enough retardation and ‘BANG’ through the rear window.
    He went to hospital but was OK , back on bike in a week.

garage-dweller

So long as you are OK and no damage to your kit I would say him clearing off while wrong, illegal and cowardly on the driver’s part might have saved you a heap of unpleasantnesses. If he was unable to see the consequences of the bad overtake, was angry or aggressive then you are better off not dealing with the driver at all on a practical level.

Some people are soooo angry these days it’s a wonder they don’t explode.

hora
    Free Member

On Thurs a large Polish wagon also turning left at the lights started to overtake and cut across me driving over the kerb. Thankfully I got into to kerb. Tbh it was 30:70 blame IMO

mrchrispy

Happened to me.
    Wet commute and bloke just had to get past me only to stop for car coming the other way (loads of room for both me and that car, just not 2 cars together).
    His plastic bumper just folded in on itself, my aksium soaked it up 🙂
    Totally his fault for being an impatient knobber

hora
    Free Member

Did he apologise? Or was her cut up over his bumper

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Near miss’ is closed to new replies.