Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheap(ish) Navigational GPS for Mountain Biking?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

My memory is shocking. Having a gps that could map routes and help me to navigate would be very useful. I’ve had a look and it seems like most are full of fancy bells and whistles like hr and cadence etc.

Is there a decent gps system that does what it says on the tin and is good for off road? Also how do the map systems work, I assume you have to download them?

Something reasonably cheap would be good <200 quid.

geoffj

Edge 800 with os mapping. It has all the bells and whistles, but you don’t need to use them.

Lifer
    Free Member

Viewranger on Smartphone.

Sautéed

thomthumb
    Free Member

maps for mapping software are the expensive bit.

I use memory map and a garmin geko (cheep on ebay)

kudos100
    Free Member

@Lifer Ideally I’d rather have a separate device for biking as a phone would take a beating, but would consider it if it works well.

@thomthumb Does the memory map and geko do a decent job?

nickjb
    Free Member

2nd getting a smartphone. Cheapy off ebay for around £50-£100 then use free mapping apps or pay for Viewranger which is well worth it.

You can download routes then upload them to the GPS. If you go for a smartphone you can download routes straight onto the phone. Very simple

kudos100
    Free Member

Ideally I’d like to be able to download other peoples routes and have the gps navigate me around, although I’m guessing that there are a number of different mapping systems……..

nickjb
    Free Member

There are loads of systems but most routes can be obtained as a GPX file which you can put on pretty much any system. You can view and edit online or just stick it on the device and follow it.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Garmin Dakota 20. It’s their bottom-but-one-of-the-range mapping device, but I’ve got one and it has all the features I want. Screen is a little small, but for the price it’s great.

CraigW
    Free Member

For navigation, the eTrex Legend HCx is good. About £130. Its rugged, waterproof, plus decent battery life etc.
    You can load free OpenStreetMap based maps on it. These have most roads, plus some tracks and paths. Though if you will mostly be following paths, it would be a good idea to plot the route on Memory Map or similar, then download it to the eTrex.

Or the new eTrex 30 looks very nice. Available in September for about £200.

kudos100
    Free Member

The smartphone option looks good, but I can’t imagine that they will deal with shitty weather and being bashed about?

nickjb
    Free Member

The smartphone option looks good, but I can’t imagine that they will deal with shitty weather and being bashed about?

Some are designed for it like the Motorola Defy, or you can get a weatherproof case for it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheap(ish) Navigational GPS for Mountain Biking?’ is closed to new replies.