Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Navigation
  • nickc

Whats the best combo of digital mapping and GPS device?

currently using a dodgy mix of an old e-trex, and a rattly bar mount that’s not very good. and some shonky old OS mapping that I *ahem* acquired. It’s all a bit sting and sellotape really.

I need to get into the 21st century

tymbian
    Free Member

I’ve no advice for you other than reading the reviews which will probably lead you to spend around £300 – £400.

With this in mind I was thinking if getting an Etrex 30 to put downloaded routes on so as to be able to have a turn by turn backup..would you recommend it?

nickc

tymbian. as a backup if you’re “temporarily unsure of ones position”?

Yep, it’s mostly fine, takes an age to gain a signal, is a bit archaic, and weighs the equivalent of a small house-brick. but stuffed into a day sack, it’s probably a useful tool if you’re in the hills especially in worsening weather on more remote hillsides*. Is nice to know it’s there.

*been in this situation more than once

kcal

eTrex 20 with OS maps – good battery life, standalone so not tied to phone, can be picked up relatively cheaply, works for me. Maybe not light, or small (as you say iainc) but works for me, when I’m out in the wilds I’m less bothered about a few more grams..

tymbian
    Free Member

I’ll try a Bar mounted etrex 20 I think. It might be a good introduction/ entry level GPS. I can’t afford to drop 300 or 400 on one after a recent bike purchase and a two week holiday/ road-trip coming up. I just need something to get the job done cheaply. I think AA batteries are a plus..
    Can anyone see a problem with this setup and what’s the best site for downloads..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Navigation’ is closed to new replies.