Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Nature lovers.
  • sharki
    Free Member

One of the projects i’ve been working one this year is for the Large blue Butterfly on the Polden hills in Somerset.

Have a read about the remarkable relationship between them and a very specific type of ant.

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/text/363/the_very_strange_tale_of_the_large_blue_butterfly.html

I’m looking forward to June when i can go up and see how they’re doing over there.

dropoff

This is great and applaudable Shane, but, i have seen landsacpes ruined in Somerset by conservation groups only concerned with one species. This is not a dig or having a go, I used to give good money to these groups but now due to their attitudes I save my money elsewhere. It’s a real shame that we feel that we can wind the clock back to a past landscape at the cost of ecology that has colonised these areas.

CountZero

But surely the ecology that has ‘colonised’ those areas has done so due to human intervention? There’s virtually no southern landscape that hasn’t been screwed around with by humans.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Have a read about the remarkable relationship between them and a very specific type of ant.

I did, and very remarkable it is too – I’d never heard about that particular symbiotic relationship before – thanks 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

Conservation methods are another thing altogether…

Hey ho!

anagallis_arvensis

Drop off, could you give examples. In the one sharki has given it would not be possible just to conserve one species and it’s hard to imagine how it could be done for any other.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I thought this thread was called ‘Mature Lovers’.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Nature lovers.’ is closed to new replies.