Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Natural trails in Snowdonia
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Got a week up there in a couple of months, and I fancy a proper big day out… Any recommendations?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@iolo I can only find that book second hand for £25. The second hand hiking books I’ve bought cost £2-£5 so that seems rather expensive

iolo
    Free Member

@jambalaya Have a good time then scouring OS maps for routes

jambalaya
    Free Member

I love doing that and woukd be happy to buy a guide but it’s out of print and the companies website is no longer in operation.

slowoldman

There are some at http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtb-route-search-results/
    I believe the Llyn Cowlyd loop is a classic of sorts. Not that I’ve been anywhere near it on a bike. I have on foot though, extensively, and it’s a fine area.

flyingmonkeycorps

Have to agree with Jambalaya, £25 seems a little bit steep for one ride – if I was there often it might not be so bad!

Is the V-Graphics book any good? I rate the Peak District ones.

nickdavies

You can still get that bike fax new from cordee for 17 quid. New on ebay for similar money posted I think cordee charge delivery below 25.

Yes the VP book is also good, I’ve got it and rate it, there is a big day out in there around the Berwyn hills, 50k.

If you struggle to find routes then you’ve also got the Mach trails a bit further south which you can buy cheap trail maps for but it’s not way marked, the full loop is a big day out.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Second the route above, the lake side singletrack is a lot of fun. It just needs an off road descent from the end of the lake to Trefiw (sp?) to make it a classic. The descent to Capel Curig is excellent.

Other routes, well Snowdon obviously. And google Tal y Bont / Pont Scethin for a good xc route.

Cadair Idris is a good ride, and there’s plenty in Dyfi Forest nearby.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve done Snowdon a few times now and I’ll be on my own, fancy something a bit different and away from the crowds. Look to be some good stuff on the Edge Cycleworks site, cheers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just to be clear I’m not trying to be cute. I’ve done some hiking in Snowdonia and am interested in some rides (love the Peak District and naural rides in South Wales where I’ll be over the next BH weekend). As it stands I have Cadir Idris and Rangers Path on the wish list, just interested in a wider range as Snowdonia is a 5hr drive vs 3hr for Beacons/Peak

mrhoppy

Llyn Colwyd clockwise from Capel is good, there are some tracks through the woods into Trefriw. If you then head up and do the 1st climb and last descent of Marin before heading on the fp from Llyn Gerionedd into the head of Llyn Crafting before heading over back to Capel.

flyingmonkeycorps

Llyn Colwyd sounds good. Cadair Idris is on the list, but we’re staying on Anglesey so it’s a bit of a trek to the south of Snowdonia.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I did Rangers Wednesday on the last day before riding outside the busy times. Absolutely brilliant Weather on the day and the few lads I saw seemed to be riding down the Llanberis path. Not a soul about. Cracking descent with the Telegraph Valley thrown in!

timidwheeler

I’ve got both the bikefax and the Neil Hutton guides. You’ve been around a while, so if you want I can lend you both if you cross your heart to return them. Email me and promise to chuck a couple of quid in the next mountain rescue tin you see if you want them.

flyingmonkeycorps

Holy thread resurrection! Anyone tried this loop? Looks like a bit of a beast but fun…

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/conwy-drum-mountain/

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Natural trails in Snowdonia’ is closed to new replies.