Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Natural Jump / Pump Track Pic.
  • robgarrioch

I've looked at this weird formation, between Kinlochewe and Torridon, for a few years, & wondered;
    a) how it formed, &
    b) what it could be used for

It's called 'Coire Cheud Cnoc' (corrie of a hundred hillocks)

Ground would, of course, be far too delicate to withstand bike traffic 🙁
    It's on the east side about half-way, next time you're passing.

mangoridebike

I think its caused by glacial moraine, its stuff scraped off the ground by glaciers and left behind when it melts. Its pretty common around here, it would be alot of fun if it was made our of smooth dirt rather than boggy heather/bracken.

paule
    Free Member

Glacial action indeed. There's a very similar formation just above Black Sail youth hostel in the lakes…. I spent a while thinking it was spoil heaps, and then found out that it was glacial.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

you sure it's not braking bumps from the glaciers slowing down?

Smee
    Free Member

It's hummocky moraine and crotchrocket isn't actually a million miles off with their glacial braking bumps idea.

robgarrioch

The collective's knowledge is indeed all powerful. Consider me educated! 🙂

lucky
    Free Member

in o'level geography its given the nice descriptive name , "basket of eggs topography "

Smee
    Free Member

http://www.jncc.gov.uk/pdf/gcrdb/GCRsiteaccount716.pdf more on it if you are interested.

Kit
    Free Member

yeah its where dinosaurauses laid there eggs innit.

miketually
    Free Member

drumlins innit?

They're made of clay and rocks. The rocks are aligned in the direction of movement of the glacier.

13thfloormonk

Similar topography near tyndrum.

Is each pile where a meltwater stream deposited its silt, and as the glacier receded more piles were left? (I didn't take geology at school, more's the pity)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Natural Jump / Pump Track Pic.’ is closed to new replies.