Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • National 3 Peaks
  • andeh

Me and a few mates are thinking about doing the national 3 Peaks this summer and I would like a bit of advice on how to prepare. I’m think I should probably start “training” fairly soon, but what sort of thing should I be doing?

We’re all fairly fit and do quite a bit of hiking, but not hugely long walks.

Anyone done it?
    What do we need?
    What should we do to prepare?
    General advice?
    Best time to do it?

Thanks in advance.

andeh

As a side point, I also thought it would be fun to attempt it on a bike, figuring that any time lost hiking up would easily be made back on the descent. This is more a talking point than something I’m going to do…..this year at least.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Personally I think “come up with a more creative challenge” but that’s just me being a curmudgeon. You probably won’t need to do any training, it’s three fairly moderate walks in a day. It’s largely a test of your ability to find someone who’ll drive you around or your ability to drive whilst sleep deprived.

Certainly read this:
    https://www.thebmc.co.uk/the-three-peaks-challenge–what-do-you-think

martinhutch

Ditto. It’s mainly a driving challenge, TBH.

jekkyl

You can’t legally cycle up or down scafell pike and with the amount of walkers on the mountain you wouldn’t want to. You also wouldn’t want to cycle ben nevis as it’s hellish enough walking the bugger and there is a voluntary ban on cycling mount snowdon in the summer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Read the BMC link, and find something else
    (former lakes resident who knew mountain rescue and worked near Wasdale)
    It’s nothing but a driving challenge

ir_bandito
    Free Member

As above. Spend too much time (and money) driving around and missing some great parts of the UK.
    Alternative challenges:

http://www.lakedistrictpeaks.co.uk/3000footers.html
    http://www.welsh3000s.co.uk/
    http://www.gofar.org.uk/scottish4000s.html

jekkyl

There’s a few moaning windbags on the comments in that link. I agree about the points raised about how rubbish, wee and poo have adverse affects on the mountain, but erosion?! Granted lots of feet may cut up the paths a bit and possibly make new ones but it’s not as if the mountain is going to wear away from however many thousands of feet tread up and down it.

djglover
    Free Member

I did it about 5 years ago, but having got into fell running since and learning a bit more about it I wouldn’t have with hindsight. There are positives: No training is required if you are relatively fit, do Ben Nevis at dusk and see the sun rise in the lakes is great. You don’t need really anything other than a waterproof, warm clothes a bit of food and the ability to navigate in bad weather. Realistically you’ll need someone else to drive who is not doing any walking.

Having learnt a bit since then I agree with the negative points about the challenge plus you will be in a queue up each mountain with hoards of the same.

There are some spectacular mountain challenges some listed above best run out I had in the lakes was running leg 3 of the Bob Graham round starting at sunrise

One lad at work and his mate did the challenge on a tandem cycling between the peaks to raise money for charity, I forget how long it took, certainly not 24 hours but that one certainly had some merit I think!

lemonysam
    Free Member

erosion?! Granted lots of feet may cut up the paths a bit and possibly make new ones but it’s not as if the mountain is going to wear away from however many thousands of feet tread up and down it.

Erosion doesn’t just mean making the mountain smaller you realise? It’s about the visual scars that path erosion causes, the effect on drainage from the hills, the stability and durability of sections of path. If it was a non issue then there wouldn’t be the need for the national parks to spend millions on path maintenance.

peterfile
    Free Member

Do something different.

How about riding the WHW to the Kingy then straight on Aonach Eagh? Or do it in reverse if you’re worried about a slip when you’re tired.

scotroutes

Do the three highest peaks in the country and cycle between them? Should be just about doable in 24hrs?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I did it years ago cycling in between (part in relays)

took 60 hours including 4 hours sleep

lemonysam
    Free Member

Do the three highest peaks in the country and cycle between them? Should be just about doable in 24hrs?

It’s been done on foot in under 24hrs:
    http://www.gofar.org.uk/Chris%20Dodd%20article.pdf

beardo74
    Free Member

Blimey there’s a lot of negativity on here.

I did the national 3 peaks in June last year and loved it. I’d always wanted to do it. All three mountains were different, views spectacular, real sense of achievement at the end, good friendships made with team members, £15k raised for charity. Training (walking up and down lots of hills!) also used a bunch of different muscles than riding my bike does – which helped my knees no end.

It’s not the toughest physical challenge, but then I’m also not the fittest person in the world. The main challenge is tiredness and eating enough to keep fuelled.

There’s no challenge in the driving (our bus was limited to 60mph!) so long as you have a generous person/ people to do the driving and they can read a map. Don’t drive yourself – it’s not safe driving small, unfamiliar rural lanes in the dark while exhausted.

The one thing that will (and should) stop you is bad weather. Be cautious, have the right kit, keep an eye on the weather and know how to read a map/ compass and you won’t have to worry the mountain rescue people.

And remember the mountains are all in national parks, so ignore the people (they’ll be along shortly) who say it’s not fair on the locals, complain about volumes of traffic etc. National parks are intended to be enjoyed by all – they get to enjoy it all year round and this is just a minor inconvenience to them. I know, I live in a national park. Then again I do still think we should ban caravans…….
    😆

slowoldman

National parks are intended to be enjoyed by all – they get to enjoy it all year round and this is just a minor inconvenience to them

I think the minor inconvenience surrounding the 3 Peaks (especially) Scafell is the endless trail of rowdy people in the middle of the night. By all means enjoy the National Parks but remember people do live and work and try to sleep there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The sailing one is great, have a few friends who have done it including winning a few trophies and the overall. All the Peaks are fairly close to the sea and you sail between them before running/walking/biking to the top

beardo74
    Free Member

I think the minor inconvenience surrounding the 3 Peaks (especially) Scafell is the endless trail of rowdy people in the middle of the night.

For a couple of weekends a year in mid summer…..

By all means enjoy the National Parks but remember people do live and work and try to sleep there.

Agree – common sense applies – don’t go shouting and making a racket in the middle of the night. But also don’t avoid doing it just because some other people are rowdy. We weren’t….

rene59
    Free Member

For a couple of weekends a year in mid summer…..

Haha, aye right!

andeh

Hmmm, I am sensing a fair amount of negativity. Maybe I’ll chat to the others and see if they fancy something a little less drivey.

I think the main reason I wanted to do it was, well, just because. It exists and it’s something I’ve fancied doing for a while, maybe more to say I have than because I want to….if that makes sense.

crazy-legs

Article is 12 years old but just as relevant today.
    https://www.thebmc.co.uk/three-peaks-challenge

lesgrandepotato

Walking between skiddaw, helvellyn and scafell could be done by mortals in 48hrs and would take some doing?

Spin
    Free Member

You also wouldn’t want to cycle ben nevis as it’s hellish enough walking the bugger

Great descent though. The only thing that spoils it is all the bastard walkers.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I did it a few years ago. Climbed up each one on rock (with ropes and all that), flew off on a tandem paraglider then rode between them on a tandem bike with a trailer and all our stuff. 6 days in total.

That’s more like a challenge!

C

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Agree – common sense applies – don’t go shouting and making a racket in the middle of the night. But also don’t avoid doing it just because some other people are rowdy. We weren’t….

Right then..
    The Lakes takes the brunt of the problems as people turn up on a bus then need a shit etc. head off up Scafell from Wasdale which has the worst road access for about any mountain in the UK drop litter and have an accident. After that they piss off and drive to Wales.
    Net benefit to the Lakes £0, no fuel, no food no accommodation. But they lay on Mountain Rescue and a “free” clean up service.

The “Negativity” in comments is there because of all the negative impacts and the lack of any positives.

edhornby

I’ve done it with work but I wouldn’t do it again, you spend a lot of time the night before and the start day hanging around Fort Bill and it’s a lot of driving; trying to sleep in a minibus as it drives from fort bill to wasdale then more driving to wales, then back home..

I would recommend something that concentrates on one set of hills – how about the Yorkshire 3peaks on foot ?

cinnamon_girl

What you don’t want is a person being sick in the car just as it leaves Scafell. 😐

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Much better in the car than on the mountain/path/road side CG

cinnamon_girl

The other passengers didn’t think so! It was a long drive to Snowdon. Fortunately I had the good sense to deposit it in the electric coolbox and put the lid back on quick style. 😳

ChrisE
    Free Member

There are just so, so, so many good adventures to be had without spending 12+ hours in a minibus, pissing everyone off and trashing beautiful places.

perhaps think of something else?

C

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘National 3 Peaks’ is closed to new replies.