Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • NAS Enclosure
  • Mounty_73

Looking for the enclosure only as I have many different spare drives.

I have been looking at the D-Link ShareCenter DNS-320L. Any other recommendations?

rossburton
    Free Member

Anything Synology.

cranberry
    Free Member

or Qnap.

leffeboy

Synology (or Qnap). They seem best at keeping software up to date

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

currently leaning towards a Drobo 5n myself

mattyfez

You could look at a full tower case depending on space, and have the whole thing integrated into your PC, my case can support about 8-10 drives.

Old picture but just an example.. you can fit 5 drives in the lower compartment, and another 5 or so in the normal drive bay area.

Quite an expensive Lian-li aluminium case though..

alexxx
    Free Member

We had a drobo mess up at work years ago and it put me off them.. same as any computer hardware everyone has good stories and bad – i’d go Synology

mattyfez

It also has space for two PSU’s so you can run a shed load of drives and three or four graphics cards.

bedfordrd

Synology – they keep even older units updated with firmware, and the software additions are great.

Milkie
    Free Member

HP Microserver, cheap at under £150, can stick 4 drives in it and they usually do cashback!

keefmac

dont get a netgear one, i have one and although it does for me, the software interface is crap and the hardware support for harddrives is limited.

somouk
    Free Member

Synology for me.

Been faultless and their OS is the best in the business.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Depends what you want to do with it?

Just external storage, then get the cheapest that will share the drives in the RAID config you want.

If you want it for other purposes, then processor becomes a little more important, transcoding Plex for example, you might want something beefy.

richmtb

Pfft! EMC Isilon. Anything else is just messing about

Cletus

HP Microserver, cheap at under £150, can stick 4 drives in it and they usually do cashback!

You can run the Synology OS on a Microserver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCZl3-2uGzE

Not done it myself but it looks cool.

rossburton
    Free Member

I just replaced a Synology with a Microserver specifically to get away from Synology OS… to be fair it was a DS209 so about seven years old now.

allthepies
    Free Member

Running xpenology on a HP microserver, kicks the butt of the “real” Synology DS212j enclosure I’ve also got.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘NAS Enclosure’ is closed to new replies.