• This topic has 24 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nach.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Narrow/Wide Chain ring lifespan
  • dangodwin

I have tried both RaceFace and Superstar narrow wide chain rings in 32 tooth flavour with similar results. According to Strava I am getting about 1000km of use per chain ring. Dropped chain twice recently so time to change again. Is this similar to other peoples experiences?

Wondering whether a chain device would work out cheaper if I am spending £50 on chain rings a year.

warpcow
    Free Member

Based on my Endomondo stats I’ve put about 1600km on my Works N/W. Dropped the chain once, that I remember, in that time and I’m 95% certain that was due to mud/grit. I reckon it’s got a fair bit of life left in it still (on it’s 2nd chain now, which might make a difference). I have a Superstar on another bike that’s only done a couple of hundred km and it’s already starting to look pretty worn, and hasn’t really seen any awful conditions.

cp

Op, are you changing your chain at all? If not then they changing the chain before the ring.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Mine last 3 or 4 chains, if that’s any use. Chain device might work out cheaper but is less effective ime.

nickdavies

Got somewhere north of 1200km on my works and it’s just about ready to go. Done 2 cannock winters though so I reckon it’s done pretty well – it’s on the 3rd cassette I think.

amedias
    Free Member

’bout time someone made a reasonably priced stainless steel NW ring like the on-one and surly SS rings, they last for ages and ages

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ive just written off my RF narrow/wide, had it maybe 18 months. have ordered an e13 one this time. supposed to be the dogs from what a few industry bods have told me…. one thing tho, would it be advisable to change the cassette and chain at the same time? ive checked the chain wear and it does seem fine (althouh there are a few powerlinks in there due to snappages) but not sure how to tell if the cassette is shagged?

theotherjonv

The tolerances are designed to be tighter, hence the wear has to be higher particularly in gritty conditions. But for me the benefit is sufficient compared to chain devices, etc. that it’s a cost I’m prepared to pay. I get about half a year in Swinley / SE sandy mud which is £50-80 per year depending on what you buy but of course YMMV (literally!) A quid a week isn’t outrageous.

Not sure yet whether RF vs SS vs On-one are substantially different for longevity, have been on RF until recently but went up a ring size to see if my little legs were strong enough (OK, i also added a cassette extender at the back too 😳 ) and opted for a £20 On-one ringmaster as it was only a trial. Ask me again in 6 months time…….

Stainless ones might be an idea but something has to wear, and if it’s not the chainring I do wonder if roller and plate wear on the chains would increase instead. And at £20-25 a throw for On-one / SS, that’s similar territory to chains anyway.

D0NK

bout time someone made a reasonably priced stainless steel NW ring

aren’t surly bringing one out soon-ish? Dunno if they’ll be reasonably priced but the Surly SS ring on my CX has done >4000miles and barely marked so will probably be worth it.

whitestone
    Free Member

Got a RaceFace NW chainring. It’s been on the bike for 11 months now, changed chain at 1500Km and am now up at around 2300Km. I do clean both chain and chainring after every ride. So far I haven’t noticed any significant wear but I don’t have a new one to compare against, certainly there’s been no dropping of chain.

It will of course depend on the conditions you are riding in – winter riding through Peak grit is going to be harder on your drivetrain than summer riding on Dales limestone trails.

Kahurangi

Mine lasted a year, riding maybe 2000 km in that year. Only the one chain but it was dropping quite a lot the last month or three.

hatter

The trouble it there are so many variables, if you ride a long of the time on the extremes of your cassette in gritty conditions you’re always going to chew up Narrow/Wide rings faster.

Proper Hard Anodizing like Gamut and Middleburn use does seem to help to a degree though.

Steel would be even better but then there’s a weight/cost/flex implication.

Kunstler

Works Components nw ring been on for 18 months and covered around 4000 miles. I’ve been through 3 or 4 chains during that time but no chain dropping ti report so far.

philb88
    Free Member

Destroyed my RaceFace in 400miles whilst riding through the winter mud!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

My RF lasted about 9 months of riding 3 times a week in Peaks but it was totally **** by the end. I went for a Super Star one this time, it is looking good 4 months in.

verbboy
    Free Member

In excess of 1500km on mine then got 2 chain drops in 3 rides.

However I was an idiot chain massively worn, so replaced the whole lot inc cassette that was a fair bit older.

I now have a chain wear tool and will be more diligent.

Its been through, sand, gritty mud, pretty much everything so well over a years abuse (I did lube the chain at least) I don’t think thats too bad.

Looked after I’m sure the life can easily double. In the end a £20 chain every few months would make everything last so much longer.

scottfitz
    Free Member

My experience:

I have tried both RaceFace and Superstar £30 narrow wide chain rings in 3234 tooth flavour with similar results.

From now on:
    Buy £30ish N/W Chain ring, run it until the chain starts falling off, filp it over run it on the other side until the chain starts falling off. Repeat…..

ricky1
    Free Member

I’ve Been losing my chain also lately,I have a hope N/W so I put a nearly new e13 N/W on and it’s still happening which is probably pointing toward the chain being naff,so before shelling out for a new one I would try the chain.

dangodwin

I changed the chain when I fitted this chain ring. Will try just a new chain. Not sure about flipping the chain ring round as the bolt holes are recessed on one side. I have found once you lose the chain more than once in a week it is time for the bin.

ricky1
    Free Member

Scottfitzz
    Flip what over,the chain,or the ring,what difference will it make?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Chainring. the teeth get worn on one side more like this Flip it over to the none worn side. I got an extra 6 months out of the Raceface one.

steve_b77
    Free Member

1332km to date and 2 chains on my on-one ringmaster and it’s showing no signs of needing replacing. mushn’t grumble

BillOddie

800km on a Blackspire 30T Snaggletooth since Mid-January. Looks worn but you’d easily get another 500km out of it. You can’t flip 30T 104BCD rings due to offset on them.

If your chain is worn it’ll wear the cassette and the ring in double quick time.

Only seen the the Surly SS n/W in tiny BCD and 5 bolt pattern so far.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wondering whether a chain device would work out cheaper if I am spending £50 on chain rings a year.

I’ve got both a MRP G2 (the boomerang one with an upper guide and a lower idler) for <38t and a straitline silentguide 32t (plastic up and ower guides, metal bashring, but the lightest chain guide available IIRC). Both in lime green.

nach
    Free Member

BillOddie – Member
    You can’t flip 30T 104BCD rings due to offset on them.

With some spacers to duplicate that offset though?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Narrow/Wide Chain ring lifespan’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts