Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Narrow wide noisy?
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I have just put a new drivetrain on my Covert, Superstar N/W 36t, SLX casette with 42t oneup and SLX chain. Apart from the chainline being unavoidably terrible it grinds and makes a noise as if it was between gears but isn’t. Is this just the chainring wearing in?

Jamie
    Free Member

Apart from the chainline being unavoidably terrible

stu170
    Free Member

Mines the same as soon as there is a hint of muck, you get used to it

chrishc777
    Free Member

It was a mucky when I took it out, been used to dry trails all summer I suppose.
    And if anyone can get a perfect chainline with a single ring throughout the casette please share the wisdom!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

same as Stu, in the dry conditions we had a few weeks ago the bike was sublime, the merest hint of filth and it’s a noisy bugger once again 🙁

it’s the price you pay i guess

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mine (Wolftooth ring) doesn’t so much as make a noise, but you can feel the engagement of the individual teeth. There is an accompanying noise but I wouldn’t call it intrusive and I really don’t notice it unless i’m listening for it. 12 months on its running as well as it did on day 1 and has been flawless despite my cack handed approach to rock gardens and all the various features you find on trails. The edges have worn as you’d expect, but the chain is still retained very well and you can still feel and hear the engagement. I tend to lube before every ride, wiping off the excess from the previous application and liberally spraying 3in1 with PTFE on the chain and sprockets.

chrishc777
    Free Member

12 months? mine lasted 4! How many miles have you put on it? And have you changed casette and chain in the meantime?

Jamie
    Free Member

And if anyone can get a perfect chainline with a single ring throughout the casette please share the wisdom!

No wisdom. For some reason only half my post was..erm…posted.

The missing bit was:

“That shouldn’t cause too much noise, maybe mucky components.”

stu170
    Free Member

Had about a year on mine, same cassette and same chain, doing nearly 500miles a month, and my local is thetford, so horrible sand. Next to no maintaining, lubing chain when its rusty and won’t move.
    No issues. Seem to be lucky with drivetrains, I work on the if it ain’t broke don’t touch it approach. Need a new chain, but hope to get another year out of the rest

chrishc777
    Free Member

I got around 700 miles total, so you’re saying you got 6000 miles out of an mtb drivetrain? What cassette chain and chainring are you using?

stu170
    Free Member

Yes I am, kmc 10spd chain, shimano hg cassette and race face narrow wide, the cassette and chain had probably 500 miles on it before I went to narrow wide.

stu170
    Free Member

Just realised why you’re so shocked, 300 a month not 500. My bad

dannyh
    Free Member

Surely you optimise the chainline for gears five and six? Just use some chainring spacing washers?

I agree that narrow wides do sound worse in gritty mud, but it is obvious isn’t it? Greater contact between surfaces and higher teeth means more rubbing and so more noise if something gritty gets in there.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yep agreed, suppose I was just too used to the dry weather we’d been having!
    Obviously I optimise the chainline for the middle but when grinding up a climb the line isn’t great and that’s when you’re paying most attention to little noises and grindings.

Still over 3000 miles though stu, that’s alot more than my 700! Is this what everyone else is getting?

chrishc777
    Free Member

So after a couple of dry rides can confirm it was just mucky components. Looking forward to the winter then…

dannyh
    Free Member

My narrow wide started making some horrendous noises towards the end of a long, gritty ride in the peaks last Saturday. Now right as rain after a good scrubbing with some hot soapy water.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Narrow wide noisy?’ is closed to new replies.