Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Narrow wide chainring – started dropping chains
  • charliemort

So I’m guessing chainring (hope) is worn

What’s the chances of me being able to change chainring only (not chain and cassette)? Anyone tried

Thanks

steve_b77
    Free Member

Minimal, if you’ve worn out a chain ring the chain will invariably be borked too, which incidentally will almost guarantee the cassette will be done in too

excitable1
    Free Member

Depends on how worn your chain is. If the chain is good then you should get away with just the ring. When I’ve only changed the chain ring in the past and the chain needs doing it stays on but the chain grinds and jumps on the 42 ring, especially when climbing. I always change the chain and chain ring at the same time. The cassette usually lasts for 2 chain rings.

You should be able to see if the cassette needs doing, how thin do the teeth look on the 42T ring and how lumpy is the shifting.

Yak

As above. N/W’s wear pretty fast, so you might get away with a new chain and chain-ring only. Cassette may be ok. How much has the chain worn? I’ve just changed a chain at c1/16″ over 12″ and the n/w needed changing, but the cassette was fine.

charliemort

Sounds like I may get away with chainring and chain. Will measure chain first

phutphutend

Have you checked your derailleur?

The clutches tend to loosen off resulting in dropped chains. If it’s a Shimano, you can tighten the clutch up a little.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Slight hijack sorry, but what chainring has the tallest teeth? I have an ace components one at the moment and have dropped chain far more than I did with a hope or superstar. Any rings with taller teeth than hope or superstar?

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m not sure it’s the tallest teeth that make the difference.

My Raceface chainset gave up the ghost at the weekend so I borrowed my wife’s triple chainset and did a ride just using the middle ring. On the first descent I dropped the chain, on checking I hadn’t engaged the clutch mechanism, once I did that I didn’t drop the chain again.

Conversely there have been many occasions using a NW chainring when I’ve forgotten to engage the clutch mechanism and never dropped the chain once (Raceface and Hope NW/Retainer chainrings). I suspect that this is as much to do with the lack of derailing ramps on a NW chainring as anything else.

oxym0r0n

My Works NW lasted 3+ years before starting to drop – regular chain changes meant I just bolted a new ring on and was good to go…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Narrow wide chainring – started dropping chains’ is closed to new replies.