Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • narrow tyres .. who makes them ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

which tyre out there comes up small compared to others ??
    Not a fan of wide , fat tyres , prefer narrower one , something that rolls well ??
    Currently have some 2.1 small block 8`s and while they grip ok , i think there just to wide ..

RealMan
    Free Member

2.2 mountain kings are pretty narrow.

You could just go for 2.0s, or even 1.9s?

harrington
    Free Member

Panaracer do Fire XC Pro's in 1.8

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

harrington – Member
    Panaracer do Fire XC Pro's in 1.8

Already have a set of these and think their crap !

skiprat
    Free Member

Got some Maxxis Larsen Mimo's (for when its muddy). Think they're either 1.9" or 2" but they come up small.

neil853
    Free Member

continental XC 1.5's?!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I've just taken off some Maxxis High Roller eXCeption Race tyres – they're 2.0s but come up more like a 1.8/9 in my opiion. Roll VERY quickly and are surprisingly grippy. Just a little too narrow for my liking. They're only a few rides old – if you're interested I could be persuaded to part with them and save you some cash 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

There was some research done recently that points out that apart from dead-smooth terrain, larger diameter large volume tyres roll better (assuming the same carcass construction etc).

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Oh and I totally agree about the 1.8 fire xc pros!

stumpy01

The skinny Speed Kings are quite erm, skinny.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I've got 1.8" Nobby Nic Evos front and back and my Stumpy.

So far so very good.

I had 2.2 MKs and they were cr4p in everything – not much grip in mud, loads of drag on road/hardpack.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Specialized Sauserwind S-Works 1.8's – I use these on my race hardtail, they're pretty grippy, lightweight and even deal ok in the mud when it rains…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Benny – brilliant tyres but when I went to replace mine, they had stopped making them – arrrghhhh!!!!!

glenh
    Free Member

Physics says wider tyres roll better. Why would you want narrow ones?

brassneck

Conty XCs are good for efficiency, but they really aren't much fun.

Sauserwinds are also really good, though I thought I heard they weren't making them in 1.8 anymore? 2Bliss versions would be the best skinny out there I reckon.

There was some research done recently that points out that apart from dead-smooth terrain, larger diameter large volume tyres roll better (assuming the same carcass construction etc).

Utterly unscientifically, I'd go along with this – I've recently fitted those cheap Michelin XC Dry 2.15 from on one (£10 an end for folding and went up tubeless no problem) – it appears I'm rolling faster, noticeably so to other people. They grip pretty well at low pressure, but I think mud would be beyond them.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

glenh – Member
    Physics says wider tyres roll better. Why would you want narrow ones?

Dont care what physics say .. i hate pushing big tyres .. full stop 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a pair of Hutchinson Piranha Air Light 2.0 semi-slicks that I was going to sell.

Swap you for your Small Block 8s if you like. Email in profile.

This is the tyre I mean, narrow and really fast.

thomthumb
    Free Member

bontrager make 1.8s

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Raleigh Streetwise tyres from cyclelife.com Do not forget Raleigh do Puncture Resistant Tubes too!

njee20
    Free Member

1.8" Nobby Nics would be the only narrow tyre I'd recommend. Even then, a 2.0" Rocket Ron is superior in every way IMO.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘narrow tyres .. who makes them ?’ is closed to new replies.