Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Narrow range 11spd mtb cassettes?
  • mistadave
    Free Member

Hi all!

I’m just building a gravel bike with rival 1×11 and laced up some shimano slx m7000 hubs for the purpose but then stupidly forgot that they will only take 11 speed mtb cassettes.

I’ll mainly be using an 11-42 on it but wanted the option to throw on an 11-28 for flatter rides, however I can’t find any smaller than 11-40 in the mtb width. Does anyone know of any narrower range 11 speed mtb cassettes or if I can put a road freehub on the slx hub?

Thanks

Dave

jakd95
    Free Member

Some sort of spacer and a road 11spd cassette? Not sure what kind of spacer though..

simondbarnes

Does anyone know of any narrower range 11 speed mtb cassettes

Not seen any

or if I can put a road freehub on the slx hub?

You can’t

simondbarnes

Some sort of spacer and a road 11spd cassette? Not sure what kind of spacer though..

The freehub body is too short for an 11spd road cassette so a spacer will make things worse.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Its because on MTB 11 speed cassettes the biggest cog is acually positioned beyond the freehub, and they can only do this with big cogs as the dish of the spokes move out of the way.

Cog spacing is almost the same for 10 speed… 2.35mm for 10-speed to 2.18mm for 11. You might get away with a 10 speed road cassette, and either tweek the limit screw every time you change or just try to remember not to shift too far….

Sounds like really though you need another wheel.

jakd95
    Free Member

Ahh, I thought that road cassettes were the narrower of the two.

richP

I’ve run ultegra 11spd 11-32 and sram 11spd 11-36 on my mtb hubs.

You have to machine down the spider which holds the larger sprockets (which I’ll admit is not the most convenient…) but the large sprocket clears the freehub and spokes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m just building a gravel bike with rival 1×11 and laced up some shimano slx m7000 hubs for the purpose but then stupidly forgot that they will only take 11 speed mtb cassettes.

All 9/10 and 11sp Shimano are the same fitting. Unless it’s a poke clash just go 10sp? 11sp is about the range really

simondbarnes

I forgot these existed…

http://www.edco.ch/en/products/components/cassettes

Cheaper to rebuild wheel with a different hub though.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

You might find it easier (as I do) to have a second wheelset anyway than to keep swapping tubeless tyres around to suit your ride that day.

If you do build a second wheel up with an 11-speed road hub, you could keep a more knobbly tyre on your existing MTB hubbed wheel and put a faster tyre on the road one.

Seamus
    Free Member

A 10 speed road cassette spacing (3.95mm) is virtually the same spacing as an 11 speed mountain (3.9mm) and therefore will work if you adjust the limit scews to prevent overshifting on the ‘extra’ click. details of spacings here:

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

dantsw13

My first reaction is why bother? Top speed will be the same with a 11T cog, and the next few changes won’t be much different. I’d say keep it simple and ride it as is. You obviously aren’t racing it as you’ve got a gravel bike, so if anything larger gaps & having the wrong gear will make you work slightly harder, so better training.

philjunior
    Free Member

If I were you I’d either put up with it, or fit a narrower range cassette and go 2x.

Other than that, 10s road seems your best bet based on the above.

TiRed

11 speed road cassette without the smallest sprocket. I run 1×9 with a spacer instead of the 12T off road, 12-32 and 1×10 on road with an 11-23.

Depending on your chainring, you may miss the 11T. I find 38×11 enough.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Easy.
    Take a file to the splines. You can take a couple of mm off the stops and an 11 speed road cassette fits. Should you wish to run a 10 speed road, or maybe and 11 speed MTB an old 10 speed sprocket fits behind as a spacer. I use a 114 as that’s the smallest flat one I have.
    I don’t blame you. Gravel bashing doesn’t really need the twiddling you get with big rear sprockets, at least not with a 42 chainring.

littledoughall
    Free Member

I drop the 11t sprocket from a 11sp road cassette and add a spacer behind to take up the slack.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Narrow range 11spd mtb cassettes?’ is closed to new replies.