Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Naming a house?
  • forzafkawi
    Free Member

All the houses in our road have names not numbers. Delivery people etc. are always cruising up and down looking for a particular address. If you’ve got a number stick with that.

Also, when filling in any on-line things that automatically find an address based on a postcode can also be difficult.

funkmasterp

There is a house near my work called Gasworks View (has a number too). How I laughed early this year when the gasworks were demolished.

acsevens

I moved into my house (in north Essex) a few years ago. It’s called Drofli. A mysteriously Welsh sounding name, for Essex.

It took a few weeks to realise it’s Ilford, backwards ??

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Castle <insert surname here>

JoeG
    Free Member

kenneththecurtain – Member

Castle Anthrax

maccruiskeen

Find out what used to be there and name it after that

Haunted Indian Burial Ground Cottage?

Uncapped mineshaft filled with asbestos, abattoir sweepings and TNT Villa?

Place where they did the ‘experiments’ that the government has covered up and had everyone involved killed or locked up in asylums Terrace?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Llamedos?

maccruiskeen

I would personally take whatever address is in common use now, out you will be mildly irritated to majorly put out for the rest of your time there. It has more of an impact than you might think for untilties, start messing with the address and you’ll never get a internet connection in easily, you’ll have a nightmare with utilities and you’ll end up with a fractured and messy credit history which will likely knock you out of every automated underwriting system on earth.

Amen to that – even without making any changes I’ve been buggered up just because different agencies state names slightly differently

I used to live in ‘Name’ Farm Cottage – but between them different agencies (utilities, council tax, credit ref agencies stated it differently – some leaving the ‘farm’ bit out or stating it in two lines ‘The Cottage, ‘name’ Farm’ etc.

A pain in the arse when I lived there, but for 6 – 10years afterwards after leaving there it kept being an issue as a previous address on credit apps (even on sim only phone contracts). And thats without any change having been made.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Llamedos?

😆

nealglover
    Free Member

Stuck up close I lived in for a short time, all had names instead of numbers causing pain to delivery co’s etc

With a street name like that, I’m not surprised 😉

nedrapier

the other naming a house thread from 8 years ago is worth a read.

Favourites are The Frottage Cottage and Austin Taische House

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/naming-a-house

prawny

A mate of mine lives in a house called that, I’ve know him for 20 years, and I’ve just realised it’s a joke.

Esme
    Free Member

Our house has a name, but no number, and it’s a damned nuisance, especially as I don’t even like the stupid name.

We applied to the local council to be issued with a number, but for complicated reasons they refused.

So now we have deliveries and doctors/paramedics unable to find our house. And also people knocking at the door asking “Is this number 12?”. No, it’s “Stupid Name” like it says on the gate you’ve just walked through, and on the door you’ve just knocked on 🙄

P-Jay
    Free Member

. No, it’s “Stupid Name” like it says on the gate you’ve just walked through, and on the door you’ve just knocked on

It’s not their fault, I promise there are thousands of people out there who move into ’29 Acacia Road’ and the moment they step over the threshold think to themselves “this is my house, I’ve bought it, from henceforth it shall be known as Bananaman Castle” and then plain refuse to accept it’s number 29, that it was ever 29 or even I’m sure the number 29 exists, they remove any external mention of the number and then go about trying to bend the world to their way of thinking –

I once spent the thick end of a month trying to get gas connected to a house over winter, 4 week this numbskul was so hell bent on getting his stupid house name “on the database” that he refused to accept it had the number it had on it 24 hours before he moved in – 4 weeks his family put up without heating because of his arrogance. Finally I had to get the serial number from the meter, pass it to Centrica, wait for an answer back to it’s location (10 days back then) “ah, is it 15 High Street, Anytown?” “NO! It’s Idiots Folly, Anytown!” In the end Centrica went loppy because they thought the meter had been stolen and went to 15 High Street to find a normal 3 bed terraced house with some made up name painted above the door.

If I was a courier or an Ambo driver and I saw a house with a name on a street, I’d assume it had a number too and some plum wanted to lord it up a bit.

Houns

zanelad
    Free Member

That’s it, call it Gregory.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If I was a courier or an Ambo driver and I saw a house with a name on a street, I’d assume it had a number

You’re crediting couriers with a lot more initiative than they deserve there.

As per my previous post my house was built prior to street numbering.
    It was split into two flats in 1963 and the two flats were numbered separately and in sequence with the rest of the street. 41 on the bottom 43* on the top. Next door either side are 39 and 45 respectively.

We bought both upper and lower flats at different times, recombined then into one house again and were issued the replacement house number of 41/43.
    There is a plate which says this on the front of the house, clearly visible from the street.

You’d think it would be easy enough to find, right?

Not if you’re a courier it seems.

* Actual numbers changed to protect the innocent

tjagain

As P jay says – you need to use the address on the database. If you don’t you cannot get services – this is why I had to get my flat added to the database

BurnBob
    Free Member

Pre Tench House.

wwaswas

Actual numbers changed to protect the innocent

it’s actually 345/476 isn’t it?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Call it what you like and ignore any stupid rules. If its an old house and not in a row it will have had a name at some point. Rural house usually do.
    My previous house was named way before some twerp at the council started numbering the road which was a touch silly as it was empty. Number 1,3 and 5 were there but nothing across the road. Number 17 existed and then nothing until us at 118. Number 200 and something was there. Fields filled the gaps. We ignored that and used the ancient name as the locals did. Like many grumpy old sods I refuse to bother with a post code even. Most companies can find it from their records.

Greybeard
    Free Member

If I was a courier or an Ambo driver and I saw a house with a name on a street, I’d assume it had a number too and some plum wanted to lord it up a bit.

Which is another reason why it’s a pain to have a name and no number. Ours has never had a number, and they won’t give us one, but people think we chose to have the name and are trying to “lord it up a bit”.

lesgrandepotato

For maximum points you need a name and no road name. Meaning that whoever is looking for it needs to know where it is.

thomthumb
    Free Member

near me is Nos Mo King

Grayskull!!

spooky_b329

Thirtytwo
    32 Church Road

…at least everyone will still be able to find it…

or…

use your ‘what3words’ address – ‘mole.left.curving’

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Pretin’s House*

*Pronounced Pretentious

djglover
    Free Member

Lord House
    Ace House
    The cinnamons
    Excalibur cottage

aracer
    Free Member

Ledbury view then (I’m assuming it’s not in West Malvern).

maccruiskeen

issued the replacement house number of 41/43.
    There is a plate which says this on the front of the house, clearly visible from the street.

You’d think it would be easy enough to find, right?

Not if you’re a courier it seems.

He’s still driving up and down there street looking for no.41143

maccruiskeen

For maximum points you need a name and no road name.

… and a post code that takes people to the other side of a river 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Dammit beaten to Castle Greyskull.

Twitching Hall?

BurnBob
    Free Member

WCA, I had kind of tried that joke earlier, albeit slightly different.

sc-xc

We recently moved into an 1790 house. It has a name, and a nice plate by the door.

It was given a number when the village sprung up, so that’s what we use.

davosaurusrex

Ours in a 1930s semi detached and is named “Thornleigh” on the deeds. I haven’t had a plate made up yet because I’m focusing on leasing a white Evoque first.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Our house has a bit of a naff name, but there are no numbers for miles around, it’s all just names. Poor delivery drivers, they hate this area. We try not to get Sainsburys to deliver in the dark evenings, poor sods would never find us.

Rio

Our house has a name that includes a number, and is on a street with no name where all the houses have names but no numbers. You can imagine the confusion, with lost souls driving up and down trying to find “Dunroamin” or “3 Farm Cottages”, never mind the difficulty of filling in the address when a form insists on a street name. It took me weeks of calls to British Gas to get on to a dual fuel tarrif because they had the address for our electricity supply entered differently to our gas supply, but both correct. I dream of the simplicity of house numbers…

MrSmith
    Free Member

I live in a block of 14 flats built in the 80’s, standard red brick construction of no architectural merit. It’s called College Manor 😆
    There used to be a very large detached Victorian house on the site but that still wouldn’t have been a Manor House.
    I’m on the huge Dulwich estate so a Manor house if there is one is half a mile away where the multi million pound detached properties are around Dulwich College

Delusions of grandeur I think.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Naming a house?’ is closed to new replies.